30,000 sprites limit problem

Started by FN, Sat 11/07/2015 21:13:37

Previous topic - Next topic

FN

Is it possible to remove the 30k sprite limit? I am no wizard so i have no idea how this limit works, why it's there or if this would crash the AGS.

Crimson Wizard

Not from user side, this limit is hardcoded into program. It's there, because ... well, because it was coded that way 10 or so years ago.

I have plans to remove it for 3.4.0 version.

The possible workaround is to use Dynamic Sprites and dispose those that you do not need at the moment (e.g. belonging to another game chapter, or another room, etc). But this depends on how do you use sprites, of course.

FN

Any chance it will be removed before 2016?

By the way, i love what you're doing with AGS in 3.4. This engine keeps getting better and better.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: finknoise on Sat 11/07/2015 22:28:10
Any chance it will be removed before 2016?
Lol damn, I feel ashamed now... I have really slowed down the development in the past half of the year.

I will try to do remove the sprite limit in following 1-2 months. The main problem is not the time as it is, but that I need to dedicate a prolonged period of time, because rewriting old code requires lots of concentration (to not break anything). Hopefully I'll have that.

Actually, it is possible to just rise the limit to 50k or 100k sprites, as the last resort, even though I would not like to do it that way. We'll see.

FN

That would be great. I understand it's not gonna be easy so good luck with concentrating on that.

Slasher

Hi

Whilst we are at it... It may be an idea to have an option to remove all unused sprites when compiling the game to save space and clutter. Well, food for thought (laugh)

Mathias

Quote from: slasher on Sun 12/07/2015 09:11:51
Hi

Whilst we are at it... It may be an idea to have an option to remove all unused sprites when compiling the game to save space and clutter. Well, food for thought (laugh)

I'd say to plan your development better so you don't end up with a ton of unused clutter ;) Or in Brad Birds Words - Use every part of the Buffalo.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Sun 12/07/2015 09:11:51

I am begging (to please not put the suggestions into every random thread! Do you seriously believe I can remember all those? Or that I am going to read all the forum threads to find these?

We have a bug & feature tracker here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=projects. Please use it.

Snarky

As the editor warns you every time you delete a sprite, there's no way for it to know for sure that a sprite is unused, since you can refer to it in code by number.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk