Character concepts (and some more things)

Started by Blondbraid, Wed 15/07/2015 19:49:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 08/04/2016 19:34:44
He looks and peaceful... I like him! (nod)
How great that you like him! ;-D
Perhaps a calm and peaceful man would be a nice change of pace to the other patients...

Cassiebsg

just realized that  I left "sweet" out of the sentence... (roll)
Should have been "He looks sweet and peaceful." ;)

Maybe he's in shock and has "retreated" to a better place? (nod)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 08/04/2016 20:30:01
just realized that  I left "sweet" out of the sentence... (roll)
Should have been "He looks sweet and peaceful." ;)

Maybe he's in shock and has "retreated" to a better place? (nod)
Sounds like an interesting idea worth exploring, though I also thought about having him giving the spotter a bit of perspective. To him, being in the army has been pretty terrible, but to Victor it has been a chance to get real (if meager) pay and not be excluded due to his heritage, but your idea also sounds worth exploring! :)

Blondbraid

It took me some time, but here is a new sprite for Victor the Rom (or gypsy, which was the most common term back then).
He looks less peaceful now, due to the fact that I decided to have him stand guard outside rather than lying in the sick-room (I'm thinking of having the bed occupied by a night-witch getting some precious sleep after a long night of flying! ;) ). Since he had no gun of his own, he took one from a dead german. What do you think? :)

Cassiebsg

He looks sad. Which is a "refreshing" look, considering most are guard NPCs are usually portrait as "tough guy".
Good job.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 19/04/2016 16:33:01
He looks sad. Which is a "refreshing" look, considering most are guard NPCs are usually portrait as "tough guy".
Good job.
Thanks! ;-D Since the game has relatively few characters, I wanted to make sure all of them have some sort of personality, especially since the portion of the game where he is is meant to encourage the player to walk around and ask NPCs about an item needed to progress.

SilverSpook

Looks great!  He looks very concerned there.

Blondbraid

Blondbraid

So this is what passes for the closest thing my game has for an antagonist, the Wehrmacht commander leading the german forces in the city and whom the titular sniper and spotter has spent most of the game on a mission to try and kill him. And I tried my best to make him as absolutely underwhelming as possible, a weary, middle aged and boring kind of man. I wanted him to look balding but don't know how to show it while he's wearing his hat. (roll) He only has a rather small visible role in the game:
Spoiler
When the sniper finally, at last have him in her sight he is already in the process of waiving a white flag, his surrender rendering all her work to kill him pointless!
[close]
What do you think of him? :)

SilverSpook

Well played!  It reminds me of the climax of Full Metal Jacket when the American marines meet the Vietnamese sniper and  it's not some macho badass but just a little girl who was forced to go to war or have her family killed.

Blondbraid

Quote from: SilverSpook on Thu 21/04/2016 21:14:14
Well played!  It reminds me of the climax of Full Metal Jacket when the American marines meet the Vietnamese sniper and  it's not some macho badass but just a little girl who was forced to go to war or have her family killed.
Yes, I rather liked that movie (Though to be fair, I liked all of Kubriks movies)! ;-D
I wanted to do a fun subversion of the typical boss-fight. Part of my inspiration also came from looking at old photos of german officers and the fact that most of them were a pretty far cry from the idealized warriors in the propaganda. :-D

Danvzare

I love how he's the complete opposite of what you expect. :-D
He looks kind of sickly as well, either that or just really tired. But at the same time, he looks kind of slimy as well, if you know what I mean.

A perfect antagonist for the type of game you're making.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 22/04/2016 09:36:04
I love how he's the complete opposite of what you expect. :-D
A perfect antagonist for the type of game you're making.
Thank you, how fun to hear! :-D
QuoteHe looks kind of sickly as well, either that or just really tired. But at the same time, he looks kind of slimy as well, if you know what I mean.
Yes, and and I got the idea because I found it funny how many of the top Nazis who had painted themselves as brilliant tacticians and military masterminds during the war suddenly insisted that they were relly just confused and bumbling old men once the Nuremberg trials started! :)
That, and I really wanted to play with the players expectations! :-D

SilverSpook

I agree the subversion of expectations with this dude are spot-on. 

It's like I always say, 'If you're not subverting you're reverting!'*

(*I don't actually say that but it makes sense thinking about it now!)

Cool stuff again, can't wait to play this game!

Blondbraid

Quote from: SilverSpook on Sat 23/04/2016 07:37:43
I agree the subversion of expectations with this dude are spot-on. 

It's like I always say, 'If you're not subverting you're reverting!'*

(*I don't actually say that but it makes sense thinking about it now!)

Cool stuff again, can't wait to play this game!
Great to hear, and as luck would have it my game is almost complete, save for the ending and some adjustments. Hopefully I will be able to release it soon! ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk