Theora videos display four pixels high

Started by Michael Davis, Sat 29/08/2015 19:42:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Davis

I've been running into a weird issue with the ogg theora player in AGS, when it plays back a full-screen video, it draws the image four pixels higher than center-screen, cutting off the top four pixels of the video and leaving a black bar at the bottom of the screen, as you can see here:

It's not the end of the world so when I shipped ICBM I just decided to live with it, but now I'm working on an updated version for AGS 3.4 for the Linux support, and I'd love to solve this, if it's solvable.

I'm also totally willing to assume it's something stupid I'm doing wrong when encoding, but I'm using a theora plugin for the Adobe Media Encoder, and when I open my final theora video files in Premiere they do not have the black stripe encoded into their bottom or anything, so I'm pretty sure it's AGS playing the video that has the issue.

Any ideas?

selmiak

a workaround is to just add a 4px (black) border to the top of the vid.

could be that different video modes also work differnt on this, please check them both ;)

Mandle

I had this same problem when I used the plugin for my game Feng Shui And The Art Of TV Reception. But sorry, as I was doing all these kinds of glitch-fixes at the eleventh hour (or more like 4AM in the morning) and mostly with blue-tac and little bits of sticky-tape I can't remember exactly how I finally got it working.

I guess I played around with variables in the plugin until it worked. Sorry not to be of more help but I just posted to say it's more likely a problem in the plugin itself than something in particular that you are doing wrong.

Michael Davis

Ha! selmiak, you're a prince. I got the top 2% of my game ending back! Man, that's such a perfect example of an engineer-style hack... like, why NOT do it that way? If it's four pixels too high, why not try adding four empty rows of pixels to the top of the video? My brain just doesn't think that way, I would have never thought to try that in a million years (laugh)

Mandle, nothing to be sorry about! Just learning if a problem is even solvable or not is often half the work bughunting sometimes, so just hearing a "hang in there, I had that same problem once but I did find a solution" would have been a big help if selmiak hadn't posted his answer. Y'all are the best, thanks so much :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk