The game doesn't accept any more sprites

Started by proximity, Sat 05/09/2015 13:31:54

Previous topic - Next topic

proximity

Hi, i'm using AGS 3.4.0.6 Builder patch. The game resolution is 1920*1080, 32-bit. I have 7689 sprites for now. My problem is, when i try to import new sprites and save the game, after saving, new imported sprites seem black. The size of acsprset.spr is 1,99 GB (compressed). I tried followings to fix it but haven't got any result ;

* Replaced the sprites from the source and save the game again,
* Deleted sprindex.dat and builded EXE,
* Switched between legacy compiler and new compiler and rebuilded all files.

What is going on ? Have i jammed in an invisible 2 GB barrier maybe ? Any ideas ?
Proximity Entertainment

Cassiebsg

Yes, there's a 2Gb limit. :(
Not sure if you can "bypass" that with the choosing the option "Split resource files into X MB-Sized chunks"... :-\ Guess can't hurt to try it? (backup you game just in case it messes up).

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

proximity

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 05/09/2015 14:07:11
Yes, there's a 2Gb limit. :(
Not sure if you can "bypass" that with the choosing the option "Split resource files into X MB-Sized chunks"... :-\ Guess can't hurt to try it? (backup you game just in case it messes up).

It's already splitted to 100 MB chunks but the sprites still included into the  .001 file and the room files rest.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 05/09/2015 15:24:36
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52379.0

So, what is the solution ? I can't use dynamic sprites or same sprites for different characters. I have about 20.000 sprites to import :(
Proximity Entertainment

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: proximity on Sat 05/09/2015 17:06:21
So, what is the solution ? I can't use dynamic sprites or same sprites for different characters. I have about 20.000 sprites to import :(
There is no solution but the ones I mentioned, and - fixing AGS.

proximity

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 05/09/2015 17:19:54
Quote from: proximity on Sat 05/09/2015 17:06:21
There is no solution but the ones I mentioned, and - fixing AGS.

Ok, then. So, what should my next step be ? Decreasing the game resolution to e.g. 960*540 and all sprites to half and start over or wait for a patch to fix it ?
Proximity Entertainment

Slasher

sometimes its less painful to remake a game from new and be wiser... a patch may take like forever..

i'm wondering how come you need 7689 sprites... is it a really hi res huge game?

proximity

Quote from: slasher on Sat 05/09/2015 18:27:48
sometimes its less painful to remake a game from new and be wiser... a patch may take like forever..

i'm wondering how come you need 7689 sprites... is it a really hi res huge game?

I agree with you, mate. I think i should start over with lower res. to decrease sprites' size. I actually need 29999 sprites. I have two playable characters and they have lots of animations, so do NPCs. Man, i really wanted to make it work because it was looking great at HD res. Anyway, it was not destined to be.
Proximity Entertainment

Cassiebsg

Just a suggestion, not sure it it would work since I know nothing about your project.
Could it work if you split the game into chapters? And automatically launch the next chapter? Could maybe write the state of the game on a file with variables and what not. Of course this would be impossible if you have a huge open world where the character can wonder everywhere.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 06/09/2015 15:27:00
Just a suggestion, not sure it it would work since I know nothing about your project.
Could it work if you split the game into chapters? And automatically launch the next chapter? Could maybe write the state of the game on a file with variables and what not. Of course this would be impossible if you have a huge open world where the character can wonder everywhere.
Yes, that is another solution.

I will look into sprite file problem, but with AGS having hidden traps most of times you cannot tell how long it will take.

Slasher

QuoteMan, i really wanted to make it work because it was looking great at HD res. Anyway, it was not destined to be.
Never give up the dream (nod)

Monsieur OUXX

Off topic: Man, who would have believed just a few years ago that someone would post: "My problem is that my game is 2GB with 10,000 sprites". I ain't even mad, I'm amazed.

Could it work if you split the game into chapters? And automatically launch the next chapter?
"Insert 2GB floppy disk #2"

proximity

It's discussed here long time ago, as i remember. The main problem with AGS games with chapters is, player can easily search game folder and find chapters and start the game from e.g. 3rd chapter. I don't know Ã,,±f there is a way to hide game EXE files (not just file status hidden) but i think an average PC user can find them easily.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 06/09/2015 16:36:16
Yes, that is another solution.

I will look into sprite file problem, but with AGS having hidden traps most of times you cannot tell how long it will take.

Crimson, the weird thing is, the sprite file was about 6 GB before compression and there was no problem with that. I think 2 GB limit issue is related to compressed files.

Quote from: slasher on Sun 06/09/2015 16:53:08
QuoteMan, i really wanted to make it work because it was looking great at HD res. Anyway, it was not destined to be.
Never give up the dream (nod)

Seeing AGS progress to this level compared to 10 years ago, i think we should never give up dreaming. ;)

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 07/09/2015 10:40:14
Off topic: Man, who would have believed just a few years ago that someone would post: "My problem is that my game is 2GB with 10,000 sprites". I ain't even mad, I'm amazed.

Could it work if you split the game into chapters? And automatically launch the next chapter?
"Insert 2GB floppy disk #2"

After pre rendered 3d graphics comes into indie devs' life, we use animations with high number of sprites. This brings you to reach sprite limit or huge sizes too early. We now discuss if we can remove the sprite limit completely :)
Proximity Entertainment

Slasher

If ags can connect to the internet it can download files... how to do that is another story..

You could add passwords at the end of the game that you need for the next chapter.

Cassiebsg

Why not just write a file with the info needed for the next chapter, that then gets read at run time? file not there = no way to play = auto-quit chapter (or just show a screen that one needs to complete the previous chapter before starting on the next).

Snarky

Yes, this is easy enough to do.

Besides, do people who finish your game get to have your house or anything? Otherwise, if people want to cheat, what do you care?

Ghost

And to think I used to wonder if people wouldn't shy away from a 3MB download...

It's been said before, but I really think the solution is to use a lower resolution and probably assign less frames to animations. I get the idea that these days you want super-smooth walkcycles with 60+ frames, but that's hardly ever needed. There's a point where the eye doesn't even notice the extra frames anymore.

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 07/09/2015 18:45:16

Besides, do people who finish your game get to have your house or anything? Otherwise, if people want to cheat, what do you care?

Yeah...pretty much this...

If someone wants to cheat with the files it's not that different from just consulting a walkthrough online or any other number of ways to cheat a game like downloading a saved game or whatever...

People either play games to experience the fun of them or to cheat them...It's the former that will have the best time...

cat

I almost don't dare to say that here, but maybe AGS isn't the right engine for your project after all? *duckandrun*

I just released a game with 1280x720 resolution and several people had problems getting the game to run on their PC...

proximity

Quote from: slasher on Mon 07/09/2015 16:49:18
You could add passwords at the end of the game that you need for the next chapter.

That is one of solutions, yes. Probably the easiest way.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 07/09/2015 17:38:04
Why not just write a file with the info needed for the next chapter, that then gets read at run time? file not there = no way to play = auto-quit chapter (or just show a screen that one needs to complete the previous chapter before starting on the next).

Actually err, i couldn't think of it and it's very bright idea. Thanks Cassiebg :)

It's a good question, Snarky. I guess when a player acceess the game parts he shouldn't, he may feel the game is amateur work. So it's basically fear of amateurism. Should i care that ? If the game is commercial, i guess yes, i should care.

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 08/09/2015 10:48:26
And to think I used to wonder if people wouldn't shy away from a 3MB download...

It's been said before, but I really think the solution is to use a lower resolution and probably assign less frames to animations. I get the idea that these days you want super-smooth walkcycles with 60+ frames, but that's hardly ever needed. There's a point where the eye doesn't even notice the extra frames anymore.

I decreased the resolution to half and all files' sizes automatically decreased to quarter. Also i noticed the performance boost. No FPS drops at big sprites anymore. HD graphics can cause performance issues even on a high end machines.

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 08/09/2015 13:13:56

Yeah...pretty much this...

If someone wants to cheat with the files it's not that different from just consulting a walkthrough online or any other number of ways to cheat a game like downloading a saved game or whatever...

People either play games to experience the fun of them or to cheat them...It's the former that will have the best time...

Still, i would prefer players to start from beginning of the story whatever they want to cheat or not. As i mentioned above, it's not a problem anymore because i managed to decrease sprites' size to 645 MB total. So, there will be no chapters, but walkthrough online :)
Proximity Entertainment

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk