Exporting my game to Linux?

Started by Datadog, Thu 28/01/2016 06:49:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Datadog

Hi all!

I recently got an e-mail asking for a Linux port of my game. With zero experience in Linux, I've browsed the documentation in the wiki and found I need a matching binary for the version of AGS I exported from - but the highest binary seems to be the outdated 2.7.2, not counting a 3.1.2 beta. It's probably right under my nose around here somewhere, but where would I find an up-to-date binary? And how would I go about scripting the game to run in Linux using a PC?

Thanks

Khris

It's actually simpler than that; get a 3.4.x version and you will get a Linux build with the Windows one.
Make sure to make a copy your game folder though, before you open it with 3.4.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Khris on Thu 28/01/2016 08:03:25
It's actually simpler than that; get a 3.4.x version and you will get a Linux build with the Windows one.
Make sure to make a copy your game folder though, before you open it with 3.4.

To elaborate: you do not even have to rebuild a game in 3.4. You just need to get a Linux engine from somewhere. If you cannot build it yourself, then you may use the binary provided with AGS 3.4.0.6 release (the link that Khris posted).

To clarify further: in 99% cases you won't have to change your game (scripts etc) to run it on Linux. Linux port should use your existing game files and run them properly. The only significant exception are plugins, which had to be rewritten for Linux, but this problem has to be solved on case to case basis.

Datadog

Hey, great! That sounds far simpler than what I was trying to do. I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks!

Datadog

I have an update on how the Linux build worked and have a few questions to go with it. Keep in mind I don't have Linux myself and all of this is tested through e-mail correspondence. This is also exported through the 3.4 Alpha build of AGS.

The bad news is that the finished game seems locked into a 1920x1080 resolution (my computer's res) and forcibly changes the other computer's resolution without switching it back after. The scaling issue also apparently slows the game to a crawl. I'm told they can't switch it to non-scaling because the Linux export doesn't give them a config menu.

When they ran it on a Linux-based SteamOS, the game seemed to work fine, so at this point, I'm not sure how to proceed - other than waiting for future builds of AGS.

Crimson Wizard

We do not have a config app for Linux yet, but they may edit config file by hand.
The gfx settings for AGS 3.4.0 are briefly explained here:

Code: text

[graphics]
driver = DX5
windowed = 1/0
screen_def = explicit / scaling / max - sets how game determines screen resolution: "scaling" - equal to scaled game, "max" - equal to device/desktop size;
screen_width = NNN (only if screen_def is explicit)
screen_height = NNN (only if screen_def is explicit)
match_device_ratio = 1/0 - forces game to find nearest resolution matching current device/desktop ratio (full screen only)
filter = filter_id ('stdscale' is default)
filter_scaling = N - uniform scaling integer factor; positive values for upscale, negative for downscale, "max" for maximal available uniform integer scaling;
filter_scaling_x = N - separate scaling for game width;
filter_scaling_y = N - separate scaling for game height;
game_frame = offset/center/stretch/proportional - defines how game frame is positioned inside screen (window) after being scaled with filter

Linux port sill has a problem that it does not support hardware-accelerated gfx driver.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk