Error in The Cat Lady

Started by Extremeveera, Thu 28/01/2016 16:00:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Extremeveera

Hello!

First and foremost, this post will contain minor spoilers to the events of The Cat Lady chapter 4.

In the Chapter 4 an error occured when talking to Mitzy, asking her if Jack was an artist (Susan and Mitzy having wine together). The game crashed and it gave an error message with the following text:

"An internal error has occured. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.
(ACI version 3.3.3.0)

Error: DisplaySpeech: auto-voice symbol '&' not followed by valid integer"

I tried to play it again, but it resulted the same error message. I tried once more, now trying the different options to say, but in the end you're forced to ask that one, and it still gave the same error. I hope there's an answer and that I posted this correctly. If there's any more detailed information needed, feel free to ask!

Thanks for your time!

monkey0506

Which version of the game are you playing? Is this a Steam version of the game, or did you purchase it directly from the Screen 7 website?

The line of dialogue in question is this one?

Spoiler
QuoteJack made those pictures on your wall. Was he an artist?
[close]

The line should be playing properly in the latest Steam build, Version 1.5 of the game.

I will send m0ds a message to see if he knows anything about this problem.

m0ds

Hi there, as monkey says what version are you playing?

Or are you playing it with a particular language selection ie French?

Extremeveera

It is the Steam version of the game, and I'm playing it with Finnish subtitles. According to Steam Finnish was added in 1.5 so it's safe to assume it is the version.

Yes, monkey0506, that's the exact line. Thank you for looking into the issue.

m0ds

Thanks, I just checked the translation file for Finnish and yep, the line after that has a game crashing error. Should be able to update that in a few mins. sorry about that! I've searched the rest of it for any similar issues and there don't seem to be any, just that one line (well, the one after it to be precise). Well spotted!

EDIT. Ok, I can't do it cos my copy is out of date compared to the most recent uploaded by monkey. So here is the file, you can copy + paste it into your steam apps install directory of The Cat Lady and overwrite the existing file. I'll point this to monkey so he can update the Steam build with it in due course. http://www.screen7.co.uk/games/thecatlady/updates/Finnish.tra

Extremeveera

Thank you!

I'm playing the game with a friend who isn't that good with English, so having Finnish working is wonderful, I can't wait to play again! Thank you for the file and I'm glad if I could be of help by spotting the error.

EDIT: Also, sometimes when playing, there would be no sound at all, only the translated line with some 4-digit number in the beginning. I can put more details about that next time it occurs if that's anything worth looking into?

m0ds

You're more than welcome to and the updates will be made to the translation file. What you describe sounds like the opposite, the & symbol has simply been missed meaning AGS displays numbers and doesn't play that sound file. Quite a few of the translations are fan made, so they haven't been checked fully, and that does require players like yourself to point them out so they can be updated. There may be some of these numbers appearing yes but I don't think there will be any more crashes at least. You should also just be able to reload your last save near the point you had the crash and play through it, AGS will likely pick up the new translation line from the new file. Thank you!

PS. I'm not sure if monkey05_06 has updated the Steam copy yet, so do copy the file over above in the meantime to ensure it works.

PPS. I'll move this over to Hints & Tips for now as its resolved.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk