SPRITE JAM [Feb 27-Mar 17] Monstrous Protagonists! [WINNER ANNOUNCED!]

Started by Scavenger, Sat 27/02/2016 23:01:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Scavenger

Monstrous Protagonists!

Alright, listen up youse guys, those humies have had it far too easy for far too long. Bein' the shiny 'eroes, gettin' all the games to themselves. When's it our turn to shine? When can we get games of our own? And don't talk to me about elfs, elfs is the worst. Just cause they have pointy ears those humies think they're exotic enough to count as sumfing new. Well, we ain't standin' for it! Bring us yer big hulking brutes, yer furry an' scaly skins, the weirder yer weirdie the better. We'll show 'em, we'll show all those humies that monstas can be just as big of a 'ero as they could ever be!

This time, this sprite jam is all about monsters. The less humanoid, the better. But not just any monsters, these monsters are striking out on their own and being the stars of their own show. Unsatisfied with their bit parts and minor villain roles, these monsters are starring in their own King's Quests, Quests for Glory, Monkey Islands, or even their own Broken Swords. Cast off your human skins, and join the monster party! Are your monsters the good guys, struggling in a world that hates them? Are your monsters still evil, carving out a piece of the world for their own? Are your monsters awkwardly shoehorned into modern society, with hilarious results? Could they even be a monster in a monstery world? That's up to you!

Da Roolz

• Entries must be some kind of monster. No humans, elfs, dwarfs, or any other creature that was a human or could pass for a human (looking at you, vampires, werewolves, and nominally human cute-monster-girls). Goblins are fine, Orcs are fine. The more monstrous the better!
  • Entries must be sprites that could be put into an AGS game. Concept art in addition is welcome, but the final entry must be a sprite (or a 3D render, so long as it's got transparent bits).
  • Entries must be accompanied with one sentence describing the kind of game that your monster protagonist would star in. It doesn't have to be original. You could take an existing game and cross out all the names if you want! It's not up to me to judge whether or not a monster has eaten an existing game protagonist and is trying to wear their clothes!

Winners will get one of these trophies (which come in Beholder, Rust Monster, and Kobold flavors!), while all participants will recieve a Mimic Pretending to Be a Trophy!

What are you waiting for? Get weird!

Mandle

Hahaha! LOVE the D&D trophies...Rust Monsters always had me laughing at my friend, who only played Fighters, cowering in terror , while my MU could just walk right on past, and even give the lil beastie a pat on the head...

Ah, the nerdy memories!

Cassiebsg

Oh,,, this sounds cool!
I do need to design some aliens for my BSG game, perfect opportunity to give it a try. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Grok

Sam is lost in a strange world, trying to find his way back. 

Danvzare

For something that I made in a really short amount of time, I've really impressed myself here.
I tried to make it so if I wanted to, I could just slot him straight into a game. It would be easy to animate him, and he's in the same artstyle and size as my other sprites. Overall, I could definitely use this cute little guy.

[imgzoom]http://orig06.deviantart.net/ce5b/f/2016/059/b/8/mutant_one_eyed_floating_fungus_head_with_tendrils_by_danvzare-d9tfk2t.png[/imgzoom]
His story:
Having been created by a mad scientist under the influence of a purple meteor, Bob Babble finds himself somewhere in the Caribbean, where he finds out that the telephone company is controlled by aliens! He then sets out on a quest to find a missing Sasquatch, but instead finds a cursed carnival. His adventure ends when he has to return to his creator's mansion and become a salesman in the afterlife.

Creamy

[imgzoom]http://creamy.r.c.f.unblog.fr/files/2016/01/roger-from-mars.png[/imgzoom]
Roger from Mars on the day he dies.

Cassiebsg

Not sure these will lead to anything, but thought I would share a few sketches I did at work the other day.
Spoiler

Oh... and those black holes in the "face" are not eyes! Even though your mind might think that due to placement in the head, they are really the nostrils! (nod)
the 4 eyes sit on the "antennas" giving the possibility of stereo sight in all 360 degrees at the same time...
[close]

Mouth for war

This is Flesh Gordon! He's flying around all day looking for love (In several wrong places)
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Avirosb

I have no idea...
I guess the monster(s) would star in a game where you make progress by interacting with hot-spots and putting things on top of other things.

Amayirot Akago

Hah, lovely. I'd imagine he'd engage in some Gobliiins style shenanigans with the top half being the thinker and conversationalist and the bottom half eating/licking/whatevering stuff to proceed.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Scavenger

Alright, let's get to voting. Lots of really neat monsters came out of this sprite jam, well done to everyone!
To vote, just name the two entries you like the most! The person with the most votes wins!

Our entrants are:

Grok

Danvzare

Creamy

Mouth of War

Avirosb

Danvzare

The two I like most are Creamy's and Avirosb's.
So those two get my vote. :-D

Cassiebsg

Grok & Danvzare

(sorry, I only got to model a makeshift head... been busy coding.)

Amayirot Akago

Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Mouth for war

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Avirosb

Creamy & Mouth of War

Can't go wrong with gentlemen spiders, and Flesh Gordon looks like an Oddballz creature :P

cat

Gurok

[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk