A Lucas-style game about quantum physics?

Started by BunnyShoggoth, Sat 12/03/2016 23:38:58

Previous topic - Next topic

BunnyShoggoth

A few days ago I stumbled upon a very interesting platformer game called "Schrodinger's cat: Raiders of the Lost Quark"; its intro trailer gives a very LucasArts-ish vibe, reminding of stuff like DOTT or Psychonauts.

[embed=425,349]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3PMNYWFAEGw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

This made me think that the themes of quantum physics and cosmology, which are rapidly becoming popular in all sorts of media (books, movies, etc., like R. A. Wilson's "Schrodinger's Cat" trilogy), are still mostly ignored in adventure genre. I believe all this weirdness about Schrodinger's cats, multiple realities, all sorts of quirky particles and their interactions, etc. would make excellent basis for a wacky DOTT-style adventure game (maybe something like particles growing to marcoscopic size and becoming sentient like Green and Purple Tentacle).

Other physical concepts, like those from cosmology, could be employed as well. The lore of King's Quest is already using the idea of "pocket universes", and it could also be possible to include things like holographic principle and AdS/CFT. This could make an interesting plot not only for a sci-fi game, but also for games like King's Quest and Torin's Passage, with the main characters discovering that they're just bits of information on a two-dimensional surface, and this explains all the strange things/magic of their world.

What do you think?

SilverSpook

For OROW, Creamy and I made a game about quantum physics called Dislocation

The game I am presently working on, Neofeud, also involves a whole lot of mind-bending quantum physics, cosmology, consciousness science, and the like.

This craft, for example, is meant to be a form of 'quantech' device that utilizes consciousness itself, in particular the observer effect to affect the 'probability' of the wave-function collapse.  I can't go much more into detail without spoilering everyone with key plotpoints, but let's just say, I'm operating on your wavelength.  ;)

moloko

This is most definitely a topic I tried incorporating in Ponderabilia , and the script I'm writing for PB2 will most likely follow the same path. All ideas are welcome!

BunnyShoggoth

Thank you, I really enjoyed Dislocation :)
Spoiler
The use of "observer effect" in quantum teleportation is ingenious
[close]
However, what I have in mind is more surreal/mind-bending (with cartoonish surrealism like DOTT/Psychonauts and/or David-Lynchian like Mulholland Drive).

SilverSpook

Yeah, I wouldn't quite call Neofeud cartoonish.  More science fictional if anything. :)

BunnyShoggoth

By the way, there's now an official quantum-themed videogame contest at an Australian research center:

https://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2017/09/national-competition-quantum-physics-game-designers

Mr Underhill

I just came in to say that I love the nickname BunnyShoggoth.

BunnyShoggoth

Thank you! It comes from The Illuminatus! :)
Spoiler
I believe that Bugs Bunny is no longer the shoggoth symbol for Hollywood Illuminati, now Roger Rabbit is :wink:
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk