Character pixel draft

Started by nads, Thu 31/03/2016 21:25:32

Previous topic - Next topic

nads

Hey guys,

Been pretty slack in terms of working on projects. So been trying to get back into it. Just looking to get some views on this rough draft of a character I am working on. I haven't gone into crazy detail with shading and detail with the characters clothing as I'm not 100% set on the design/colours (Its meant to be just a plain tshirt and trackie pants anyway - "just got outta bed attire")

But yeah, as I said been "outta the game" for a while. Decided to get back into things and just wanted to get some thoughts/possible improvements on the first pass.

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/9Gof6es.png?1[/imgzoom]

Cheers

Danvzare

It looks good. There's a severe lack of symmetry though. It kinda looks as though one arm is longer than the other. His legs are also a bit short, but you could just put that down to artstyle. :-D
Overall though, it's pretty good.

Hobo

For a rough draft it looks just fine. A little bit polish here and there and it's good to go. I like the side view, but as Danvzare said, the legs look too short and small on front/back views, also the shape of the face looks more round on the front view.

A small paintover:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/AyfCeCu.png[/imgzoom]
I edited it according to my own style and personal preferences, but maybe you'll find some of it useful. First I pulled down the saturation a bit and added more contrast between the colors. Then I added a few extra colors for shading and tried to create some texture for the clothes. Redesigned the face - added eyebrows and eye whites, shortened the nose etc. Made the legs wider, raised the knees, added a fly to ephazise the location of the crotch (otherwise there was an illusion that it's too low).

Remember, at some point you're going to have to animate the thing, so don't overpolish the base sprite and just go with the version that feels most comfortable to animate. Also, if possible, I recommend drawing sprites directly on the game background, it can often help with anatomy, colors and consistency.

nads

Hey thanks for the replies!

I've done a quick revision of the sprite.

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/LVKmdLl.png[/imgzoom]

The changes I have made were;
- made the face on the front view less round
- "chubbed" up the legs/pants abit
- moved the head and shoulders down afew pixels to match up abit better with the legs
- fixed the arms and hands
- Made adjustments to back and side views to match front (hopefully... looks alright to me).

I didn't bother changing the colours not because I didn't think it needs to be done, its because I haven't locked down a final look (as I just noticed I mentioned before) - So yeah, I guess its just more about the general look of the character and just to get some general feedback.

Anyway, let me know, and thank again.

Danvzare

Looking much better. :-D

The backview doesn't seem much different to me though, and personally, I think his neck is a little short. But then again, I'm no expert on anatomy (quite the opposite actually).

Honestly, you could leave him as it, and he'd make a great character I think.

Anian

You should amp up the contrast between the white and gray, even though it's not the final color scheme, you'll want to see what impact the lines have on the whole readability of the sprite. The line that marks his armpits is almost invisible.

The side view maybe needs a bit more curvature or detail (like maybe the sleeve protruding slightly) on the left side. Right now it's just a straight line in the torso/shoulder area, which is kind of the opposite of every other part, even in the other views. Just looks a bit jarring as is, plus it will make the silhouette more interesting.

The right part of the side view is also a bit off. Either shave off a pixel on his belly, so only his pecks portrude or some other solution. Right now it's a just a patch of orange where his sleeve ends and that looks like a mistake more than choice.

Good luck and add those details and color you plan so we see how it turns out. :smiley:
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Monsieur OUXX

+1 for anian's comment on the side view: the butt/hipbone structure is all flat, too far back (i.e. too far to the left) and too low.

nads

Hey

Here is an update

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/WMa86Yf.png[/imgzoom]

Made some slight alterations as suggested by Anian and Monsieur (Cheers)
Also added some shading and detail to the character as well as making better contrast between the shading (hopefully)
Originally I was going to put a logo or something on the tshirt, but I figure keep it somewhat simple, seeing its "sleepwear" so to speak. I can save that for the other characters/different version of this character.

But yeah, I think I might have to make some alterations to the shading on the hair, I dont know. It looks alright to me, but something seeeeeeeeeeeems odd, but I'm not quite seeing it (if that makes sense)

Monsieur OUXX

The side view is still not OK. You have issues vizualising the hipbone in 3D (hence drawing it sideways)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk