My little beach

Started by SinSin, Thu 05/05/2016 00:20:33

Previous topic - Next topic

SinSin

I've been doing some practice lately and I want some opinions on my shading and colour use.
Am I doing too much in terms of dithering  ??
Currently working on a project!

Danvzare

I'm not very good at critiquing shading and colour use (probably because I'm not very good at those two myself), but I can tell you that you have not done too much dithering. The colours you've used for the dithering on the sand might be a little too close together, and you could probably do with some slightly other forms of dithering, but other than that, it looks nice.

I do think your sand is a little too orange for my taste, but then again like I said, I'm not too good at critiquing shading and colour use.

Blondbraid

I like the colors, they make a good job of making the things stand out from one another.
But maybe the sky has a bit much "texture" going on...

Haggis

I'm really no authority on pixel art but I agree with Blond Beard in that the sky has too much texture.

Re: sand colour - the colour you have in the distance is actually the colour I would start with in the foreground and dither out.

It is however a lovely piece of pixel art - look forward to seeing it evolve.

SinSin

Righty, thanks for the input. 

I spent some more time on this, taking out the excessive dithering and desaturated my palette somewhat.  added a man and various other bits and bobs. I will throw in another edit once I make the nearest sand less orange and animate it.

Haggis

That updated image looks fantastic!

Danvzare

Definitely a huge improvement.
I especially like the little details you added.

Blondbraid

The sky in the new pic looks really beautiful, what a lovely beach! 8-)

silverwolfpet

I really like how you take into account the lightsource position (the Sun) and even the clouds have proper shading.
It looks really good. Is this only a part of the whole room you are working on, or is it the entire room?

I ask because the aspect ratio seems a tad off to what I'm used to see. :)

Haggis

I agree - the only thing I think bugging me a little about it now is the proximity of the tree to the water - I'd either expect a really close tree line (lots of trees close to the waters edge) or I'd expect it to be much further back with more sand before the tree. BUT I'm sure trees probably do grow like this in RL and/or maybe the tide is in real high so feel free to ignore :)

EDIT - and to prove that I don't know what I'm talking about...
Spoiler
[close]

SinSin

Thanks everyone. :-D

To answer your question silverwolfpet this is just art really, I dont intend to use it as a background im just practising as I've been away for a bit.

@Haggis haha

@everyone thanks everyone for your comments so far. :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk