Blackwell Style Notes System

Started by Handsomebob, Tue 24/05/2016 20:22:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Handsomebob

Good Evening,

I'm wondering if someone could give me a few pointers...

I'm wanting to implement a system within a game that is similar to the Blackwell notes system

for instance: looking at a hotspot - e.g. a photograph would add a note to your notebook... this can be 'reviewed' by clicking on it, but also combined with other notes - e.g. combining 'knife' with 'stab wounds' would remove both notes and create a new one 'murder weapon'

I understand I'd need to create a GUI and probably use buttons to act as the notes, I'm a little lost as to how to move further.

Secondly I'd also like the ability to 'consult notes' when speaking to characters...

Is anyone able to give me an idea of the principles and coding I'd have to use to implement this?

Thanks guys

Bob   

Khris

The notes can be implemented as inventory items. You'd create a dummy character (cNotes) and add them to the inventory: cNotes.AddInventory(iNoteStabWounds);
To display them you have to add an InventoryWindow to a GUI and set its character ID to that of cNotes. Then you have to work around the fact that AGS doesn't allow setting an item as active that isn't in possession of the player. There should be multiple threads about a 2nd inventory and how to implement it.

Selecting an inv item as conversation topic is a bit more tricky. AGS allows to completely customize how dialog options are rendered. You can either use that, or implement a custom dialog system.

Bottom line is that all this requires intimate knowledge of the AGS engine and advanced scripting skills.

Handsomebob

I originally thought about using a second inventory for the notebook - I actually got it working perfectly for my purposes up to the point of calling it during dialogue.

I'll go and get myself some 'intimate knowledge' then...

Khris

No need to get sarcastic; people occasionally ask "how do I do [really complex thing X]", expecting a step-by-step or whatever.
I have no idea about your skill level or familiarity with AGS, and given some of the questions I've read on here in the past, some people will do zero research before asking questions.

I simply wanted to convey that this might be a bit too complex right now, *if* you happened to be a beginner.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk