help me stay in touch with my kids!

Started by Nikolas, Fri 27/05/2016 17:51:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolas

You know... this forum has been my homepage for a decade now... And there are lot of old members, who might remember me as a guy semi-obsessed with his kids, always a parent first, etc...

Well... times change and unfortunately I'm getting a divorce. But if life was that simple, things would be easy! ;D

Problem is that the wife and the two kids (aged 10 and 12) live in Kuwait, while I live in London now! This means something like 3,500 miles distance, a 6 hour, expensive flight, and problems all round. Add to that a rather restrictive divorce and you get the shity situation I'm in.

So, I come here asking for ideas.

Right now they are too young to be browsing the Internet, but they do have Internet access, of course (Even if a little restrictive due to Kuwait itself). I was thinking that perhaps I could organize various online games for them, like searching for clues which will lead them to the next page, etc... Like a sort of real life adventure(s). That I could guide them to learn things and do stuff with me being the "Dungeon Master" sort of... They have been on the nice side of the Internet for a rather long time, and they have heard a numerous times about the dangers of it.

So, do you have any ideas?

Do you think it's safe to start doing that? I could certainly wait a year or two, until they are older, but still...

Slasher

Teaching young children should start as early as possible.

Getting them to understand what is right and what is wrong and what is dangerous is a good thing.

If you can pack this into fun computer games all the better. I did a similar thing with 'Let's Cook with Koala'.

Start very simple and build up.

It sounds a good idea from a loving father.

I myself, having had 3 children, would be behind you.

Good luck ;)

Danvzare

Also, email... and if that doesn't work, you could always send letters.
Good luck.

Wyz

The first things that springs to mind is Minecraft; they're just about the right age to play that and it allows to create your own 'adventurous hikes' with clues and and whatever you come up with in an interactive relatively safe environment. I don't know how well it works given the topology and connection wise but that would be my suggestion. :)
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

sketchess

Well, let me speak out of experience.
I am pretty sure that your children will miss you a lot. And I am the first who would support teaching programs, BUT....
As lovely this idea seems to be, it shouldn't be your main connection to your kids. There are better ways to keep the bonding strong. Why so complicated?

1. Thankfully, there are free video connection programs like skype out there. You could sitting on your table, your kids on the other side and have a family lunch together. Talk and laugh. It don't has to be every day, but it holds a lot possibilities in hand. Of course it wouldn't allow to hug each other.

2. Inform yourself about shipping between the two countries. Do you know the time of care packages? As the name says, it would provide you a chance to take real care of your children. They would get something to actually touch, fell, smell and taste, depending on what you send. A chance to share a part of your life. If you are handy, the better. It could become something really personally.

But honestly, make sure it is nothing that is very valuable in money or getting easy broken. Shipping between Europe and Arabia is a bit tricky. And I know. ;)

3. For example, you could arrange a real meeting one time in the year. This very special time in which everything is possible. Like a kids vacation. The often the better.

There is always a way, you just have to search, find and take it. Good luck in future. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk