Combining Verb Coin with the old Monkey Island inventory setup

Started by DBoyWheeler, Thu 04/08/2016 21:12:55

Previous topic - Next topic

DBoyWheeler

Okay, I had decided to make the next game of mine on my own, and decided to do a bit of early scripting before progressing further.

Problem is, I am not sure what changes to make to the Verb Coin script and the Monkey Island style script without screwing it up.

Here's what I mean.

This is just a rough draft of the setup.  The open inventory is most of the bottom, with the exception of a special GUI on the bottom right (similar to Kyrandia).  And I plan to have a separate button (kind of a "mini-GUI") on the upper right to be the system button (for saving, loading, restart, volume control, etc).

However, the default Verb Coin Tutorial has that tutorial of right clicking to bring up the inventory, and the default Monkey Island style tutorial has that multiple languages, etc...  I want to have the inventory always open on the bottom of the screen, at the same time having a Verb Coin system.  But I don't know what to change without it crashing on me.

Also, for the GUI... I'm thinking of setting it up so if I click the "buttons" on each of the corners of the triangle, it'd trigger a "User Defined Button", but when right clicking, it changes back to default (like right-clicking when you have an active inventory makes it go back to default).  I'm not sure how to do that without it messing up, but what I want it to be, as stated earlier, is like a mix of the Verb Coin setup with the Monkey Island inventory set up.

Cassiebsg

Basically you need to locate your function on_mouse_click in global scripts and code the behaviour of your clicks there:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53804.0

Also you might be better of scripting your own verb coin instead of using the one provided with AGS, if you can't figure enough of the code to change it for what you want.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 04/08/2016 21:34:31
Also you might be better of scripting your own verb coin instead of using the one provided with AGS, if you can't figure enough of the code to change it for what you want.

Yeah, making my own verb coin script might be better...

[Update] I found a Verb Coin module in the AGS wiki--maybe it might help?
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Verbcoin_(module)

Cassiebsg

Yes, that one is a bit easier to customise. In my current game, I also started with the 1st template, then moved to monkey's, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the default click. In the end I used monkey's template to build my own. ;)

DBoyWheeler

Okay, I've hit a weird snag.

The walking about and doing actions work fine, but...

Well,

1) My Verb Coin isn't animating--for instance, when the cursor is above the mitten (for "interacting"), the mitten hand doesn't close.  And I have sprites to indicate Verb Coin changes.

2) The over hotspot text works fine when it's just the default cursor, but when the Verb Coin shows, no text will show up at all.

I'd show the coding (it's the same Verb Coin module from the Wiki), but it'd exceed the character limit for this forum, as I do not know what code I need to add or change to make the Verb Coin animate, or make text appear to show commands.  So, what do I need to add or change in the Verb Coin module from the wiki to make things work properly?

Cassiebsg

Okay, first I'm going to point out to monkey's post: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=42868.0
If you're going to be asking about his module, it's better you do it there. ;)

This template does not work like the previous. I ran into exactly that same "problem", only to realize that you need a: Verbcoin GUI, one button for each action, set the graphics in the button proprieties (normal graphic, mouse over, pushed), that's how you get it to animated. ;)

As for the text... can't remember if I solved it or not. Think not.

DBoyWheeler

Okay, it does show text, but now it no long shows the "Custom_Talk", "Custom_Interact", and "Custom_Look" stuff.  It only shows the default "Look at", "Talk to", and "Use" commands for that hotspot.

Here's what I mean.  For the "test room" I'm using for testing out the verb coin, the hotspot in question is an open door.  And I used the custom properties tool.  The Custom_Talk is "Shout out through door"; the Custom_Look is "Look at door" (same as the default); and the the Custom_Interact is "Go through the door."

But now it's only doing "Talk to door", "Look at door", and "Use door" respectively.

Also, you mentioned the button properties.  Where do I find those?  In the Global script or the GUI script?

Cassiebsg

Uhm?

It's on the GUI...Properties pane...
As for the custom stuff, I can't help you. As I said, I ended up making my own. May not be perfect or bug free, but it's working. (laugh) As I said, go to the topic and ask there. Monkey can explain his module better than I can.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 06/08/2016 01:10:20
Uhm?

It's on the GUI...Properties pane...
As for the custom stuff, I can't help you. As I said, I ended up making my own. May not be perfect or bug free, but it's working. (laugh) As I said, go to the topic and ask there. Monkey can explain his module better than I can.

Since the topic is quite old, I might be better to send him a note to ask him there.

[Update] Figured it out--for characters and inventory items, do the SetActionText thing in Global Script.  For hotspots and objects, do it in the Room_Load script.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk