Suggestions for an Updated Adventure Game Editor

Started by Pijin Pastrana, Sun 04/09/2016 23:35:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Pijin Pastrana

Hi everyone:

My name's Pijin Pastrana.
It's almost my first time around here and I hope some of you, at least the oldest among you, recognize my name as the developer of several games; Robotragedy 1 and 2, Dr. Lutz and the Time Travel Machine and a hidden object game released only in Spanish under the name El Tesoro del Rey.
For a long time for me to have access to the Internet was nearly impossible but things are a little bit different now here in Cuba and now at least I can use the net as many times as I want, though not at home and very expensive, but I can use it and that's an improvement for me.
So, from now on I'd like to be more active on these forums and I would like to start by outlining for you this dream I have, this one hope.
Everybody here knows how difficult it is to make a fine, good looking, well balanced game and if is just you and nobody else, the troubles pile up considerably. Maybe you are good at programming but lack all artists skills or viceversa. Or if you live in a place like mine, you can't use all the softwares and technological advances that may help you create a better product or you don't have the money to hire other people to help you or create assests for you.
Then, my hope, my dream, is that someone comes up with a miracle engine, developed with the amateur adventure game creator in mind.
A tool, or set of tools, that provide the wannabe game developer with all the necessary editors to create a game with commercial quality. And oriented to the 2.5D type of game.
For example, imagine an AGS version in wich to create the rooms for your game you don't need any external software and it comes with an editor to create walls, ceilings, floors, windows, tables, everything that is needed. It will have it's own lighting and rendering. Something like making a home in The Sims games or the amazing free software Sweet Home 3D. All the 3d assests come with the editor and of course you can import more. That way every game made with this version of AGS will look really good.
For the characters the same, an editor to assemble your characters from different customizable body parts. All animation needed like walking, talking, picking up, and more, will be already included and these characters will funtion as in 2.5D games. Like creating a character for your Sims 4 game. As before, every game developed will look really professional.
Interfaces and GUIs? The same, the game editor comes with pre-made interfaces, cursors, fonts, buttons, all customizable and the only thing the developer has to do is select wich style fits better his game. You want to make a game with only one mouse click for everything? No problem. For two mouse buttons? No problem. Just select from choices.
Logo screen? There you'll have a logo editor to create the perfect one. Something like XARA 3D.
Music? There are many softwares that an amateur with commitment can use to create his own music.
Voice overs? You can hire professionals for that but if you are like me, then you can use the native recording software to record your voices and clean them as much as possible.
Sounds? This miracle game editor can have a huge selection of sounds from where to choose. There are thousands of free sounds in the internet anyways.
Cutscenes and cinematics? The game editor can use a movie editor to create cutscenes and little movies by tinkering with cameras. You have all the assets to create them, the rooms, characters and objects, all you need is to have access to different cameras and record a secuence.
Think of playing the Sims 4 to create an adventure game, it's the closest I can think of to show you what I have in mind.
Do you follow me? For me that will be the real opening of the adventure game making, a very democratic one.
Everybody would have the chance to create the adventure he dreamed of making while playing The Day of the Tentacle, Syberia or The Longest Journey. The outcome is in your hands, if the final product is not good it's because you didn't tried your best or the plot wasn't good enough, but you can try again.
And  economically it could be good for everybody.
Suppose that miracle engine is AGS 5.0. You can download it for free and make all the games you want, but every game developed with that software can only be sold and released through the AGS owner and developer or company or whatever it may be called.
Let say the price for every game is 10 dollars. Okay, the deal is 60-40 for every copy and the biggest percent goes to the AGS owner and everybody is happy.
I don't know about you, but for me the idea of making a living out of creating adventure games is like mana from the heavens.
Think about this dream of mine, and please let me know your opinion.
Thanks

Crimson Wizard

I won't judge on the idea itself, but unfortunately I do not see how is this may relevant to this forum section. The program you describe would require years of time and a team of professional developers working at fulltime to create. Currently AGS is being developed by several contributors, most of whom are working sporadically, in a limited free time they have, which is not even enough to deal with all the current issues. This particular forum section is supposed for discussing current work and ideas that are at least potentially realistic for us to implement.

EDIT: I just noticed you have already opened same topic in another forum section:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53906.0
I believe that is a better place for it, and you have already got some reply, so I'd rather lock the topic here, as duplicate (and put into wrong forum).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk