Problem with dialog gui (AGS 3.4.0.9)

Started by Slasher, Mon 05/09/2016 10:01:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Hi

ags 3.4.0.9

The editor is not obeying dialog positioning correctly.

In the settings i have made use dialog gui 12 for options.

All is correct. But when running, the dialog options gui shows up in the wrong place and fills the screens full width even though the background and options x y are correctly scripted.

Both in DD and D3D

32 Bit color
320 x 200

EDIT: To get the custom dialog (320 x 200) to display properly positioned I had to position the options gui  x 90, y -39 which makes it display a lot better. This was a strange behavior.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Mon 05/09/2016 10:01:27
In the settings i have made use dialog gui 12 for options.

All is correct. But when running, the dialog options gui shows up in the wrong place and fills the screens full width even though the background and options x y are correctly scripted.

Please give more details:
1. What is the size of the dialog? You say that the dialog "fills full screen width", but later give size 320 x 200 - which is full size of your game. So, what size did you mean to use in the first place?
2. How the dialog is supposed to be positioned;
3. What is the dialog's background (color? sprite?)
4. What is the "wrong place" where dialog appears.

Screenshot could help too.

Slasher

Hi Crimson

Game and custom dialog gui size are 320 x 200.

Gui transparent except Black Box positioned 30px from the top and centered on the gui. Black Box approx 150 x 130.

This gui with options was appearing along the bottom of the screen as per usual default (0)..

I had to completely re position this gui  (x y) for it to display as it should (using negative x).

As I said, strange...

Crimson Wizard

You are saying that black box was positioned at the bottom instead, and also "fills the screens full width", while your black box is "approx 150 x 130".
Are you sure that was your GUI that you were seeing, and not default dialog options black box? You could, for example, change the color of your gui and see if it is really your gui that is displayed on screen?

Slasher

It was definitely the correct gui to use for dialogs...and it did not display correctly until i used x y as previous post.

Crimson Wizard

Are you using any templates or scripts that also control GUI and/or dialog options positioning?

I tried to make the game according to your descriptions: I made a transparent 320x200 GUI with the black box (150x130) in the middle, and set it position at 0;0. In game the gui appeared normal with black box in the middle of the screen, but the dialog options were written in the top-left corner, over transparent area. I do not think that may work correctly without additionally scripting custom options rendering.

Also, why did you make a screen-sized transparent GUI, when you could make just a smaller black GUI and position it in the center by adjusting GUI properties?

Slasher

Quoteblack box in the middle of the screen, but the dialog options were written in the top-left corner, over transparent area.
Yes, i had that as well.

it's force of habit to do many gui's screen sized...

could this have been affecting the display?

cheers

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Tue 06/09/2016 20:23:39
Quoteblack box in the middle of the screen, but the dialog options were written in the top-left corner, over transparent area.
Yes, i had that as well.
Sorry, but now I am confused again. First you say that black box with options was at the screen bottom. Now you confirm that options are at the top-left corner similar to my results. Or did you have them in top left corner after you positioned GUI to negative coordinates?

Quote from: slasher on Tue 06/09/2016 20:23:39
it's force of habit to do many gui's screen sized...

could this have been affecting the display?
I do not think that could affect display, because having screen-size GUI is perfectly supported by AGS.
But I am still not sure if I understand well what you did.
Did you make that black box in same way as I did in my test, as a 320x200 sprite with black box in center and then assigned it to the GUI background image?
Was that normal GUI, or TextWindow GUI?
Also, could you please answer on my first question:
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 06/09/2016 18:42:59
Are you using any templates or scripts that also control GUI and/or dialog options positioning?

Slasher

QuoteDid you make that black box in same way as I did in my test, as a 320x200 sprite with black box in center and then assigned it to the GUI
Box x centered on gui and Box y 20px down from top of gui.

I am using default template.

Crimson Wizard

Slasher, I am sorry, but you tend to answer like half of my questions every time, it feels like you do not really want to talk about this. Or maybe I just don't understand what you mean very well.

I do not know if that is acceptable for you, but could you maybe send me your game project to look at how you made that GUI closely? If you want, of course.
Otherwise, I am afraid I cannot help.

Slasher

Sorry to confuse you Crimson (nod)

I have made enough dialog options to know a problem when I see it.

Anyhow, I got around it..

Snarky

Look, there are two possibilities here: Either you've done something wrong, or there's a bug in AGS.

If it's the former, take responsibility, don't blame the editor or whatever. If it's the latter, give CW a chance to figure out what the problem is and fix the bug.

Matti

Really, slasher. It's quite annoying that you give as little information as possible and then don't even answer all the questions. On top of that you just say that you "got around it" somehow. This isn't helpful for anyone. Neither for someone with a similar problem, nor for Crimson, like Snarky pointed out.
(wrong)

Slasher

Does this help?

Dialog option display gui (x 0 y 0)

How it appears in-game (without changing options x y)

Crimson Wizard

Yes, this makes it absolutely clear about what happened, although completely different from how I understood your description before.

I actually suspect this has something to do with the presence of top-bar GUI. I recall AGS can make a fix to dialog GUI position if there are other GUIs on top of the screen.
I will need to make more experiments.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk