Five Nights at... Willy's Wonderland?!

Started by KyriakosCH, Sun 31/01/2021 14:02:34

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO9lc3wzifY

Everything about this looks really stupid  (laugh)
I mean... they couldn't even buy the rights to the "Five Nights at Freddy's" name? What are they paying Cage?
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

WHAM

The funniest thing here is that, as far as I am aware, the actual Five Nights at Freddies movie is still in planning and production!
These guys just got there first.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

KyriakosCH

Not much of a surprise that they were so fast - the trailer seems to be the entire movie :)
I am disappointed that there is no sense of dread at all though. Not that I played the FNAF games, but there was some material there for dread. This is just Punisher Cage, and he has played this role recently in a (likely far better) film too.

Mandle

You mean Johnny Cage? (Which is where Nick actually got his screen name from. He was a big fan of the Mortal Kombat game, surprise surprise.)  (laugh)
This movie looks more like it's supposed to be a comedy than horror. Something in the vein of Zombieland.
I was actually shocked at how MUCH it is ripping off FNAF. Surely they will have to put an "Inspired by the game FNAF" somewhere and pay them something, like The Lion King ended up having to do with the Japanese manga/anime "Kimba The White Lion" or risk legal action? Or are they just counting on being a giant corporation and that they could probably crush the FNAF creator in a court battle, or just pay him a mil or something out of court if he makes any moves in that direction?
Oh, and they also ripped off the "He's not locked up in there with them. They're locked up in there with him." trailer-bait line from Watchmen, and possibly First Blood.

In short: Have they no shame?!

Also: Haven't they kinda missed the boat with the FNAF craze being long over... Or, actually, that might have been the plan? But it kinda feels like making a "Bernie in mittens" film ten years from now.

KyriakosCH

Yes, it looks very poor, and it is quite impressive that the plan was to steal the main element of a known work just to fuse it with cheap action ^_^
At least FNAF had some element of dread while this (which even reveals the main plot in the trailer; likely because it doesn't pretend to be more) is a comedy with some "horror".

Gilbert

I've read this a while ago and learned of this movie (also a linked article about why CAGED!1! has gone downhill recently, mainly stupid spending habit and tax).

I've never played the FNAF games, not even really seeing them. I have more or less heard about them, though I bet few other people have heard of them here either.
Also, Chuck E. Cheese is just unknown here (it did manage to open here in the mid-80's but failed spectacularly and folded soon afterwards, probably due to the cost of maintaining the animatronics and pizza being not that popular) so I wonder how many people here would find this movie relatable and have some interest in it.
(Or, maybe because it's so irrelevant here that some people would still be interested. Afterall, it has CAGED!1! (CAPS and exclamation marks mandatory) which is probably the something that people will ever notice.)

KyriakosCH

It may work, somewhat, due to the Cage factor, although that they don't care about releasing it outside cinemas (I think it will be available next month?) is very strange as well.
Your article says this is a debut film for the director, who even likens it to Killer Klowns from outer Space (which was a very cheesy movie, but had its moments - I doubt this will have any moments).

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 31/01/2021 23:31:13

Oh, and they also ripped off the "He's not locked up in there with them. They're locked up in there with him." trailer-bait line from Watchmen, and possibly First Blood.

None of you seem to realize, Cage isn't plagiarizing The Watchmen, the screenwriters are - and don't care either  :=

Honza

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 31/01/2021 23:31:13
Surely they will have to put an "Inspired by the game FNAF" somewhere and pay them something, like The Lion King ended up having to do with the Japanese manga/anime "Simba The White Lion" or risk legal action?

Sorry, a quick off topic: I don't know anything about Five Nights at Freddy's, just noticed the Lion King thing being mentioned, so I thought I'd use the opportunity to spread the word - apparently the Lion King has nothing to do with the anime show, just some very superficial (and most likely coincidental) similarities which have been hugely exaggerated by people who haven't watched the anime series. If you have two hours, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5B1mIfQuo4&t=127s&ab_channel=YourMovieSucksDOTorg

Mandle

Quote from: Honza on Mon 01/02/2021 20:33:58
apparently the Lion King has nothing to do with the anime show, just some very superficial (and most likely coincidental) similarities which have been hugely exaggerated by people who haven't watched the anime series.

That does make sense. I watched the series as a kid but don't remember much of it. I always did think it strange that Disney would name the lion cub "Simba", which is so close to the show's "Kimba", IF they were deliberately ripping it off. They would have been more sneaky.
At the same time, I doubt the creators were unaware of Kimba The White Lion and it could have had a subconscious effect on some choices, but that happens with anything.

Honza

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 01/02/2021 23:10:09
At the same time, I doubt the creators were unaware of Kimba The White Lion and it could have had a subconscious effect on some choices, but that happens with anything.

Possibly, but after watching the YMS video, even that seems unlikely :). The Kimba series spanned decades and has about 3000 minutes of footage covering everything you could possibly think of involving African animals. It would be a real feat to come up with anything that would not be featured on that show in some shape or form, especially if we're talking unrelated single shots plucked from random episodes. It's like the Simpsons "predicting" various events - with this many episodes, it's just inevitable.

heltenjon

"Simba" is "lion" in Swahili. It's used frequently in the Tarzan novels, if I recall correctly. I guess both have the name from there.

I got the Watchmen quote and the Army of Darkness vibe. While I have no real insight in the FNOF universe (my daughter does), I'd think making a movie with similar characters gives the filmmakers somewhat greater freedom to kill the characters or whatever they want. I think I'll like this movie for the entertainment value, but I doubt that it will change my life.  :-D

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 01/02/2021 08:58:14
None of you seem to realize, Cage isn't plagiarizing The Watchmen, the screenwriters are - and don't care either  :=
I think we all realize that, KyriakosCH.

KyriakosCH

I know, which is why I formatted the statement close to what was said in Watchmen :P "don't seem to realize" etc

heltenjon

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 03/02/2021 01:31:38
I know, which is why I formatted the statement close to what was said in Watchmen :P "don't seem to realize" etc

Ah. A google trap. The comedy of your activities escapes me.

Actual quote: “None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with YOU. You're locked up in here with ME.” (According to Google/Goodreads. I didn't check the book.)

heltenjon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk