2016 sucked, but that's okay: A drunken rant by LimpingFish

Started by LimpingFish, Mon 26/12/2016 03:13:53

Previous topic - Next topic

LimpingFish

Now, you may know me, but here's something you may not know. I don't drink too often, but when when I do, I get a little emotional.

2016 sucked. I mean, it really sucked. The AGS community has been the one constant source of level-headedness (is that a word?) and general humanity that I've experienced lately. And I'm very thankful for that. Today is Christmas Day (technically, though I'm posting this past midnight...whatever), and everything in the world is generally so forked up and depressing that feeling anything other than hopelessness is a difficult task. I don't know a lot of you IRL, but it heartens me to see such friendliness among all the terrible things the internet has to offer. You might be asking yourself "What is he on about?", and that's fine. It's the little things that I appreciate, and the fact that you may not even notice makes it all the more special. This is a great community, where hate and distrust have no place, and where everybody is welcomed and made to feel at home, no matter who they are or when they joined. And, as a community, that's something to be proud of. I sometimes peruse other online communities, and I'm horrified (hyperbole!) by the general hate that users project on one and other. When was the last time anyone on the AGS forums behaved in such a manner? I honestly can't recall.

This post was originally going to be longer, but through judicious use of the Backspace key (and Firefox's spelling correction), I'll think I'll just end it here. So thank you, AGS users, for providing such a welcoming space, and much love to you and yours for the coming new year.

I'll probably regret posting this tomorrow (though the sentiments contained within are heartfelt and true), but...whatever. Sometimes it's best to express how you feel, and not worry how you are perceived. Happy holidays to you all.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

AnasAbdin

Quote from: LimpingFish on Mon 26/12/2016 03:13:53
I'll probably regret posting this tomorrow

Too late, I'm already hugging you and not letting go :)

cat

Snarky

Yeah, 2016 sucked big time, and I don't really think that's OK.

It has been, in just about every way, the worst year of my life. I won't bore you with personal problems or go over the many world developments that I consider apocalyptically disastrous. It's been a series of gut punches, and I find it difficult to feel hope for the future.

I've not found much help in the Internet either; much of it is awful (in fact, I'm increasingly convinced that he Internet is a destructive force in today's world), and even places like the AGS forums that are relatively decent seem to offer momentary distraction at best. No offense.

Personally, the brightest spot in the darkness has been my family. When I really needed them, they've been there for me, and I realize more than ever how lucky I am for that. I wish you all the same.

Failing that, may we take comfort in shared misery. LimpingFish, you're not alone!

Here's to 2017 turning out better!

Danvzare

2016 has definitely been the worst year I've ever seen. Not only from a global point of view, or how everyone has been calling it awful, but also because of what's happened in my life in general (which I suppose could have been a lot worse, but it's been still pretty bad for me).
Basically, it seems like 2016 has been an awful year for almost everyone.

I don't believe in the Friday 13th superstition, especially since I've never had a problem with that day, but if Friday 13th was a year, 2016 would be that year.
The Mayans were also clearly wrong by about 4 years when it comes down to when apocalypse would happen. (laugh)

That all being said, I have to agree with LimpingFish. This is one great community, and I'm glad to be a part of it.
By the way, thank YOU LimpingFish for being a part of the AGS community and helping it be such a welcoming place. *hugs*

Dualnames

I love u Limping Fish, even if nobody ever comes to love you, i'll quadruple that love for you, quintuple whatever amount of love you need, i'll give it to you <3
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Slasher

A year to some could be very dismal whilst to others it could be fun and joyous..

Unfortunately we don't get to pick.

Take whatever comes and deal with it for next year could be very different.

The one thing most of us don't need is a room full of manic, moaning depressives...

Fortunately nearly everyone on these forums acts happy-go-lucky which is great (nod)

Of course I sympathize with those that feel low at times, it happens.

The Internet/world can be a very sick place.

Snarky

Stupot

It has been a crazy year globally/news-wise. But on a personal, day-to-day level it's been a very positive year of my life and I want to keep that momentum going.

I've spent an unhealthy chunk of this year worrying about world events. In 2017 I'm not going to do that. Instead I'm going to focus on what I've kind of neglected my whole adult life: me. I need to really think about forging some kind of career, pursuing creative endeavours, getting fit, keeping in touch with friends, saving money. Those things are hard, especially when you're constantly distracted and depressed by current affairs.

Mandle

Thank you so much LimpingFish for getting drunk and posting so beautifully what is so special and precious about this community.

I have been a member of several online communities over the years and have given up on all of them except for this one, because eventually I realised I was getting more negative emotions from being a part of them than positive ones.

Some of this was as much my own fault as that of the other members. It's so easy to get caught up in a cycle of negativity when surrounded by such, and when I found the AGS community I hoped it would be different and also that I could be different in return.

So far, both of these wishes have come true I believe.

Thanks again, mate, for a post that honestly brought tears to my eyes, but in the best way...

Tabata

*HUGGING LIMPI*

Adeel

On your part, you spread positivity and happiness among the folks here. You gave away lots of games to anyone who asked without any discrimination whatsoever. Kudos for that.

LimpingFish

/hugs everybody.

This is why I love this community. You're all so awesome.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

kconan

Yea, 2016 was crap.  I think my cynicism is at an all-time high these days.

AGS is great and I still dabble with it, but the community is why I stick around these forums.

TheBlindRabbit

Yeah 2016 has been hard and I got that same feel of disappointment towards humanity and a lot of things overall... But It warms the heart to hear (well, read actually) something like that and to know there's people who still care about each others and share good vibrations :)

Much love to you and to this wonderful community
Play Tester for SilverSpook's Neofeud !

[delete}

Irish single-malt whisky may be a complex distilled beverage, but it tastes simply good and sweet. Perfect as a gift.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk