Fortnightly Writing Competition - Write About What You Don't Know (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Sat 31/12/2016 02:43:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Okay. Time's up.  It's time to vote.

1) Babar: On Writing
2) kconan: On Music
3) Baron: The Art of the Bar Pick-up.
4) Mandle: Peel It Like a Polaroid Picture
5) Ponch: J.J. Abrams presents Disney's Indiana Jones and the quest or search for the famous (secular) thing. [Working title]

The categories are:
Best setting:
Best character(s):
Best plot:
Best style/word choice:
Best implementation of newfound knowledge:

Voting ends Jan 21st

Adeel

I know time's up and all, but I'm going to submit two honorary stories nonetheless:

1) Women

2) Time Management

Baron

Oh maaaaaaan this is going to be hard to vote on, especially because two of the entries were really good but not exactly conventional stories.  Great entries all around.  ;-D

Best setting:  I'm going to toss Ponch a bone here for his snowy jungle, because it'll still look cool.  :=
Best character(s): It's gotta be Babar for the ultra-helpful, ultra-incompetent know-it-all, although kconan's conductor was for me a close second.  :)
Best plot: Oh gee I dunno.  Er.... Ponch?
Best style/word choice:  I gotta hand this one to Babar again.  That was some seriously awesome awfulness he slapped together.  (roll)
Best implementation of newfound knowledge: It's tight like a door frame in the summer humidity, but I'm going to give it to kconan for teaching me a thing or two about musical implements.  (laugh)

kconan

Best setting: Baron's bar.
Best character(s): Has to be Ponch's Indy.
Best plot:  This one goes to Ponch, for his mainstream audience pleasing plot that sounds a bit more Michael Bay than JJ A.
Best style/word choice:  I'll go with Babar.  I read his entry twice, the first time mildly annoyed and then again right away after it dawned on me.  Nicely done!
Best implementation of newfound knowledge: Baron's pickup guide learned me right on scoring with the ladies.

Ponch

Best setting: Baron's bar.
Best character(s): Mandle for FutureMandle.
Best plot: Babar. Thanks to his teaching, I'm sure to win every FWC from here on out (assuming no one else read his story. Otherwise, a universe-destroying paradox should happen within a fortnight!)
Best style/word choice: Kconan for the word "mash." I would have used "pound" or "hammer". Mash is just a funnier word. Good choice.
Best implementation of newfound knowledge: Baron. I've made extensive flashcards of all the information he provided. I can't wait to try it out this weekend.  (I would have given this to Kconan, but he forgot the most important part of being a drummer -- yes, even more important than the drumstick finger twirly move -- and that's to have no loyalty whatsoever. Play for whoever pays you. Every drummer is a mercenary!)

Babar

Best setting: I like the idea that we're all elements from a picture Mandle took in the future
Best character(s): This I'd say goes to kconan's instructor, for the blithe ignorance, tempered with just a touch of self-respect in staying away from Rush :D.
Best plot: My vote goes to Baron here, with the totally unexpected twist near the end where we discover he was interacting with a HUMAN female!
Best style: Definitely goes to Adeel for his hilarious entry, that too after the deadline. Hell, I'd say that if it had just been "Time Management" or even "Time Managem..", he'd have gotten all my votes regardless.
Best implementation of newfound knowledge: I'm practicing the twirly finger thing from kconan's entry now :D. SOON I WILL BE A DRUMMER (not for Rush)!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

JudasFm

Best setting: Ponch
Best character(s): kconan
Best plot: Ponch
Best style/word choice: kconan
Best implementation of newfound knowledge: kconan

Stupot

Best setting: Mandle
Best character(s): Ponch
Best plot: Ponch
Best style/word choice: Babar
Best implementation of newfound knowledge: Mandle

I'll count them later. About to get off train. X

Stupot

If my maths hasn't let me down, Ponch is the winner with 8 votes. I look forward to the next theme :-)

Mandle

Oh crap, I didn't vote...

I thought there would be more time. Maybe put the deadline in the thread title?

Well, I was mostly gonna vote for Ponch anyways so...

Baron

kconan

Ponch

Thanks, guys! It was a fun topic and I can't wait to subject you all to a merciless reign of tyranny very soon. And rest assured, i shall display my new trophy proudly! :=

Baron

Aw, man!  How come Ponch gets an invisible trophy and nobody else does?!?  :-X

Ponch

Stupot

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 24/01/2017 00:05:40
Don't be jealous of my invisible trophy! It's awesome! :cool:

I'm glad you like it, Ponch. Took me ages in Photoshop.

Baron

Congratulations Ponch!  :)

But I feel compelled to write one more thing about what I don't know before they lock up this thread:  I don't know about this waiting a week between competitions.  :P  What am I supposed to mull over in my mind during those long sleepless hours?  Plans for world conquest can occupy me only for so long....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk