Hm... do you think this works as the near-final versions of those locations? :)

Started by KyriakosCH, Mon 02/01/2017 17:25:23

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

While things may change here and there, do you like the tone/colours/feel/character-background blend? :)

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Blondbraid

The shadows could use a bit more contrast, and the scale of the character looks a little odd,
but otherwise the backgrounds look nice.

ThreeOhFour

The design of the benches could be nicer, currently it feels like it was built from children's wooden bricks. The upright poles feel particularly comical, but even the wooden slats that are intended to be sat upon look like massive, unrefined blocks. Working on making this design more ornate and more realistic would help.

Additionally, "mindful" has a single l.

Mandle

I agree about the benches, and another thing I would say is that I feel the texture on the concrete(?) walls around the trees is a tad generic.

Of course it depends what kind of look your are going for: realistic vs 3D "graphicky", but if it's the more realistic approach you are aiming for then the concrete needs to have maybe join-lines, weather-streaking, impressions of the wood slats of the mould it was poured into, and stuff like that. Or you could go a different route and make them into cinderblock walls, which could be more appropriate. I know matching up that kind of brick-work on complex shapes like you have here can be a real pain in the butt of course.

The lighting is nice but yeah, also agree that the shadows could be a bit better defined: Maybe turn down the ambient light just slightly?

Great looking backgrounds overall though, and I would love to play the game in the future!

KyriakosCH

Another of the screens (this is the base of the actual Hopscotch options)

KyriakosCH

Re the benches, while obviously they are as generically modelled as possible (indeed just blocks := ) they work at a reasonable distance and aren't miles away from reality of the benches there either (scene is of part of the local promenade, with the co-called White Tower)

Danvzare

Yeah, they do work at a distance, but that doesn't mean you can't improve a bit.

KyriakosCH

I agree, and in fact i already had to add some things in the scene where the vandalized bench is zoomed in, cause in the plot there is info on a dent and a broken screw. So i will refine at least that model a bit... :)

KyriakosCH

About the rather prominent Hopscotch (game with 9 squares) :

It is very important in the game. To a degree it also alludes to our number system, but more generally it is about creating a system to manipulate/direct your moves. Cause the environment around it is chaotic and bounded by darkness ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk