Turn off "half pixels" while downscaling sprites in low-res adventures

Started by Windenwart, Wed 25/01/2017 11:26:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Windenwart

Hi,

in most current AGS low-res productions (for example The Blackwell series or the Infamous Quests games) I can see an annoying thing: If the sprites move to the background, then they are downscaled with "half pixels". I think for example 320 x 240 pixel games are emulated with 640 x 480 pixels, and the sprite scaling routine uses these higher resolution. But it looks annoying in my eyes. It destroys the pixel look and gives an inconsistent feeling.

How I can turn off these "half-pixel" scaling?

Thanks!

Khris

There's a very simple solution: switch to DirectDraw in winsetup. That will work for Quest for Infamy, since it's an actual 320 game.
However the Blackwell games aren't, afaik: they're 640 games that use 320 graphics.

Crimson Wizard

We will be releasing new version soon (in a month), which has an option to turn this off.

PS. Actually you may already try the nightly build from here:
http://teamcity.bigbluecup.org/repository/download/AdventureGameStudio_EngineRelease/21988:id/engine.zip

Unzip acwin.exe to the game's folder, run "acwin.exe --setup" from command line to configure to your liking, then acwin.exe to run the game using new engine.
An option that disables "half pixels" is located on the "Advanced" section of setup program and called "Scale sprites in screen resolution".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk