Developing for iOS - Best Practices?

Started by MajorTom, Thu 26/01/2017 09:56:23

Previous topic - Next topic

MajorTom

Hi!  I'm learning AGS right now in the hope of eventually developing a game for iOS, as well as android and the desktop.  Before I even begin, are there guidelines I need to follow, like?
1.  What version of AGS should I work with?
2.  What is the best resolution for developing for mobile?
3.  Do I develop for desktop and then later just alter for iOS? (I saw Janet C's post and although i don't yet understand most of it, I gleaned that Gemini Rue was initially made fo PC and then later ported by Wadjet Eye)

Your input would be very much appreciated.  Icf this has been posted elsewhere, please point me in the right direction as i have been researching the past week and have not gotten any straight answers to my specific questions.  thanks!

Khris

I wouldn't learn AGS if your end goal is an iOS app, tbh. Afaik, porting those games to iOS was a massive effort.

As awesome as AGS is, there are better engines for mobile development out there, and I figure that implementing a basic P&C adventure engine using one of those is much less work than your current route.
I played around with LibGDX for some time, and implementing rooms and walking didn't take that long.

Still, I have zero experience with porting an AGS game to iOS, so take everything I said with one or two grains of salt.

MajorTom

thanks, Khris.  that's sad news, and probably the reason why i don't see i lot of ios threads. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk