When is it done?

Started by jwalt, Fri 27/01/2017 11:24:58

Previous topic - Next topic

jwalt

I undertook Spoons III some time ago. I worked on it and posted a beta in the GIP thread. Little interest in the beta, and I lost interest in the project. It sat untouched for about eight months, until a PM from Renegade Implementor drew me back into the game. I thought the beta was playable, but after letting it sit for so long, I instantly found a number of game ending bugs. Went back to work on it, and have another beta nearly ready to release. Still a number of cosmetic things I'd like to do, but I think I'm at a point of diminishing returns, in that what's left for me to do isn't going to make it a better game. I'm concerned, now, that if I can't break this beta, today, it might be about as good as I'm currently able to make it. I'm also concerned that anything I do to "clean up" my code might create more problems for me to fix. My coding skills are limited.

My specific question is how to know when to release one of these things? Seems like a number of GIPs have been going on for years, with slow, steady progress. I don't seem to have that kind of patience. I have no illusions about my game being sold on Steam, or nominated for a Forum Award. Unless, of course, the Forum creates a new category: Best Movie made with AGS. I'd be a shoe-in for that award. Despite some effort on my part, Spoons III still plays more like an interactive movie than a game.

PS If anyone might be inclined to try the beta in the GIP thread, please hold off a bit. I might have a new, improved beta to take for a spin, soonish.

CaptainD

This may seem like a trite answer but basically, if you think it's finished, it's finished, or if you think you're finished with it and it's in a state that people can get some enjoyment from, it's ready for release.  Sometimes you reach a point where you know you're not going to do any more to it whatever happens, and that's when you have to make a decision on whether to just move on from it, or send it out to the wide world.  If you're honest about what the game offers and it's essentially complete, I can see no reason not to just release it.

Mandle

Quote from: jwalt on Fri 27/01/2017 11:24:58
I have no illusions about my game being sold on Steam, or nominated for a Forum Award. Unless, of course, the Forum creates a new category: Best Movie made with AGS. I'd be a shoe-in for that award. Despite some effort on my part, Spoons III still plays more like an interactive movie than a game.

Unless the first two things you mentioned really matter to you then you are ready for release.

As for the last thing you mentioned: Then just release it as such. Nothing wrong with interactive movies. In fact it seems exactly what a lot of gamers crave these days. And again: Nothing wrong with that. If people enjoy and get carried along by a story then their playing time would not have been wasted.

Buckethead

In my opinion you should get rid of those game stopper bugs. But other than that, I don't think you have anything to lose. You don't have any publishers to worry about. It's better to release a game that is a little rough around the edges then not let people play something you've worked so hard on. 

Danvzare

Quote from: Buckethead on Fri 27/01/2017 17:45:06
In my opinion you should get rid of those game stopper bugs.
Agreed, and if those bugs prove to be too elusive, I wouldn't mind giving your code a look over to try and fix them.
So yeah, fix those bugs the best you can, then release your game (or movie as the case may be) and say it's finished. :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk