[Editor plugin] Automatic translate your files with Deepl (AGS.Plugin.DeepL)

Started by Rulaman, Sun 24/12/2023 11:00:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Rulaman

Hi there,
happy christmas.

Here it is, the brand new editor plugin for easy developing your game (specially translation files)

Download version 0.9.0

All necessary information of how to setup you will find here:

WARNING! This auto translation is no replacement for a human translation.
But it will be a good start.

---

This is a plugin for the game development tool Adventure Game Studio

This plugin adds a root node in the game tree named DeepL

In this upcoming window (after double-clicking) you can set your DeepL api key (an DeepL account is needed).

Then set your source language on the left side and the destination language(s) on the right side (if you have any translation files.)

Any untranslated line will now be translated when you right click on the translation file and select Translate with DeepL (within the Translations tree node).

If you have not set an key, not set the source language and not set the destination language for your translation file then the command is grayed out.

---

After extracting the content into your editor directory you have to modify your AGSEditor.exe.config with the following lines

Quote<runtime>
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="System.Text.Json" publicKeyToken="cc7b13ffcd2ddd51" culture="neutral" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-5.0.0.2" newVersion="5.0.0.2" />
      </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe" publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" culture="neutral" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-5.0.0.0" newVersion="5.0.0.0" />
      </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>
  </runtime>
(The content has to be between the <configuration> </configuration> tags)

Greetings
Rulaman
Zak: Komm mit mir Sushi.
Zak: Come with me Sushi.

Cassiebsg

Thanks, idea seems interesting, yet I have some reserves about this plugin. I have a feeling it has the potential of producing very bad translations, depending on how good that tool is. 

The same sentence can have different meanings, depending on context, and thus a proper translation might need to use other words to meet this.
The same word might have multiple meanings, depending on how it's used, thus changing the meaning of and entire sentence. Not to mention proper grammar.

I can still remember when Google translate (and other online translation sites) come out. And my internet friends thought they could just throw a sentence in it and then send it to me, as if they knew how to write/read in my language. Unless it was a very very short sentence/word, it produced hilarious sentences and I could tell right away where they got the sentence.

To this day, Google can't figure out the difference between "grandfather" and "grandmother", if I type them in Portuguese... because for Google, apparently, "Avô", "Avó" and "Avo" are all the same word..."grandmother". And "a well" from Danish to Portuguese ends up translated as "good"... not exactly the same thing.
Not to mention proper grammar. As Google will still give Brasilian-Portuguese as a default for Portuguese sentences (apparently doesn't know there's a difference)

Thus you might add a disclaimer to your module, so that people that might use this, will still need someone (and actual human being, that can both the original and translated language) to check the translation and correct whatever is wrong.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Rulaman

Hi Cassiebsg,

I am aware of this problem but though that would be clear.
Thanks for bringing this back into my mind.
I will update my post as well as the readme.

This plugin uses DeepL, a very good translator. As far as I can tell it (EN-DE, DE-EN)

Greetings
and a happy new year
Rulaman

PS: Your first example is done well by deepl
https://www.deepl.com/translator
Zak: Komm mit mir Sushi.
Zak: Come with me Sushi.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk