Error: D3DGraphicsDriver: D3D Device Lost (AGS v3.4.0.16)

Started by arj0n, Wed 17/05/2017 19:03:18

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

Issue: When starting the game in D3D9 in full-screen mode using the settings as shown below, it gives a black screen.

AGS Editor: Build 3.4.0.16, March 2017
General settings:
Color depth: 16-bit (hi-colour)
Resolution: 320 x 200

acsetup.cfg:
Code: ags

[sound]
digiid=-1
midiid=-1
digiwin=-1
midiwin=-1
digiindx=0
midiindx=0
digiwinindx=0
midiwinindx=0
[misc]
log=1
game_width=320
game_height=200
gamecolordepth=16
titletext=SRAM 2 - CINOMEH'S REVENGE (beta) Setup
[graphics]
defaultdriver=D3D9
driver=D3D9

Full AGS log: HERE

AGS.log errors:
Code: ags

Starting game
D3DGraphicsDriver: D3D Device Lost
D3DGraphicsDriver: D3D Device Not Reset
D3DGraphicsDriver: InitializeD3DState()
D3DGraphicsDriver: D3D Device Not Reset
D3DGraphicsDriver: InitializeD3DState()
WARNING: Not all of the Direct3D resources have been disposed; ID3D ref count: 1
***** ENGINE HAS SHUTDOWN

I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct part of the forums. If posted in the wrong spot: sorry.

Crimson Wizard

Something weird is going on.
Can you try 3.4.1 Beta and see if that will work? It makes D3D run in 32-bit mode even if game is 16-bit.

arj0n

Using AGS Build 3.4.1 Beta3 gives the exact same issue...

ags.log here

btw,
* my GeForge GT 430 driver version is v381.65, which is up to date.
* DirectX is v12

Crimson Wizard

I forgot to ask what Windows version do you have. In the past I saw reports of D3D not working on Windows 10 properly.

Can you try using OpenGL in recently released 3.4.1 beta 4? That may be an alternative for D3D on newer systems (unless someone adds compatible renderer for DirectX 11 and higher).

arj0n

I'm using Win10.
Tested this issue on more pc's. Only my own pc seems to have this issue. Maybe this happens because I use an old-ish graphic card?
Will try the OpenGL in the beta and let you know the results.

Thank you.

arj0n

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 22/05/2017 15:38:47
Can you try using OpenGL in recently released 3.4.1 beta 4? That may be an alternative for D3D on newer systems (unless someone adds compatible renderer for DirectX 11 and higher).
OpenGL works perfect on my system :)

Radiant

Looks like some people are reporting the same issue with Heroine's Quest. They can resolve the issue by switching to DirectDraw 5, but it strikes me as odd that the older version works better than the newer.

Alan v.Drake

Yeah, it seems Microsoft did something to D3D9 with an update and this is the result.
Perhaps the AGS implementation is not 100% spec compliant, but we aren't the only ones experiencing weirdness with D3D9 + fullscreen.

I have a 970 GTX on Windows 10, and I can't see a damn thing fullscreen, no matter what build I try. But I know it worked months ago.

EDIT: try setting vsync mode to on, it might work then

- Alan

Radiant

morganw

I'm pretty sure it is off by default, as originally it wasn't supported when using Direct3D.

Dave Gilbert

Bit late to this thread, but I can also confirm this is happening to a lot of users. Direct3D results in a black screen. Switching to DirectDraw fixes the problem. The common cause seems to be Windows 10, although it runs fine on my Windows 10 laptop.

Weirdly enough, this is the exact OPPOSITE of the problem many users experienced around 2011 with Windows 7. Running in DirectDraw would result in a black screen, but Direct3D fixed it. This problem was so prevelant that I advocated removing DirectDraw from AGS entirely. I'm happy that nobody listened to me. :-D

Radiant

I wonder how hard it would be to add a DirectX 12 driver to AGS? DX5 is twenty years old and was shipped with Windows 98, DX9 is thirteen years and shipped with XP; it should be no surprise that compatibility for either of these is not a high priority for Microsoft.

Dave Gilbert

What's weird is that the unsupported & antiquated DirectDraw works fine, but the (relatively) more modern Direct3D does not? It's confusing for sure!

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 17/09/2017 01:12:13
So have we found a solution to this besides just switching to DirectDraw?

You can also switch to OpenGL.

Quote from: arj0n on Thu 25/05/2017 19:32:44
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 22/05/2017 15:38:47
OpenGL works perfect on my system :)

Dualnames

My issue is that this specific person wants D3D bad.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Best way is to add new DirectX support then (11 or 12).

Dualnames

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 18/09/2017 21:51:37
So newest ags has that?
No. I mean, this probably would be best solution to add one.

By the way, don't other d3d9 games not working on Windows 10, or its just AGS?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk