Help finding mature themed adventure games!

Started by Somniosus, Tue 20/06/2017 12:26:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Somniosus

Hey folks, can anybody recommend some games with "serious" storylines? My fear is that I've already played them all as I've scoured Google and can't find any games I have not played! Other then the slaughter but I can't find a torrent for it anywhere and I have no means of buying things online ect. The games which I have not played all have silly or lame story lines like "you need to save the frog princess from the evil wolf" kinda stuff which I find incredible childish since I'm in my 20's aka a lot of the classic point n click games just don't appeal to me with there pathetic stories that a 5 year old could write. Thanks in advance

Somniosus

BTW I don't mean to be disrespectful to the games of the 90's but come on guys you can't seriously tell me that you don't see the difference between what Dave gilbert does and what some of the writers for Sierra and Lucas arts did! Because its day and night, we are mostly adults on this site so I'd appreciate your honesty and acknowledgement of such writing differences rather than just trolling me because your in denial. I've even tried alota modern adventure games and yet the delusion continues like daedelic games good artwork but mostly horrible storylines that feel like your being treated like a little kid playing games about rabbits and all sorts of kiddies themes I can't see that children are smart enough to clock any adventure game so I don't know why the childish stories keep resurfacing maybe this just isn't the place for me then? Lastly, I apologize again  for ranting but as I said I'm in my 20's and I can't be playing games where the main character has a hat with bells on it I mean honestly...

Somniosus

OK last thing I promise... Comedy is not the issue I love the jokes and the sarcasm, my issue is with storylines themselves, they just give me the impression that the games are targeted towards children which makes no sense to me because the whole reason I LOVE this genre is because its so complicated and you feel smart when you complete an adventure game. And yet again, no trolling me guys, I think there's even an article online basically saying the same things I am now anyways.

Khris

Don't double (triple) post, you can edit your posts to add more content.

The first thing that comes to mind is The Walking Dead, Batman and Game Of Thrones by Telltale. Can't get more mature than that.
There are also lots of quite mature AGS games, like The Cat Lady.

And in case you haven't heard of it yet, there's the Chzo mythos: http://www.g4g.it/2009/11/30/fullyramblomatic-special-editions-pack/

Grim

Quote from: Somniosus on Tue 20/06/2017 12:26:05
but I can't find a torrent for it anywhere and I have no means of buying things online

Ehem... Please support developers by buying their games! ;)

Having said that, I agree with you that adventure games being mostly aimed at adults should reflect that more than they do. But since you're a big boy now in your 20's you should probably get a job and a bank account and consider buying games online - we all do that! ;)

Somniosus

My Thanks and apologies Khris. Sadly as I feared I'm already well aware of the games you mentioned but I do appreciate it, I'm just really into pixel art wadjet eye style games and yes it seems I may just have to wait for Unavowed to be released. Thanks again and I meant no harm in my opinion about the classics just in case they're some of your favorites. Cheers.

Somniosus

Hey Grim, I live in a 3rd world country in Africa and find it very difficult to set up things like PayPal as some of my friends also struggled with compatibility issues with their accounts ect. Even some YouTube videos say "error not available in your country" and things like that. I agree with what your saying but its just not that simple over here and I'm not that clued up on online purchasing as I mostly use the internet for streaming and reading articles. In that case do you know any FREE games you could suggest I download?

Somniosus

But since you're a big boy now in your 20's you should probably get a job and a bank account! Grim that's a bit uncalled for mate! Bang out of order that is. BTW I've played downfall and you did some work on there I see, that's exactly the type of game I'm looking for and why I made these posts in the first place, its really a good game and the horror elements go down very well for me. There's British blood in my veins so I'd prefer a response that isn't so ungentlemanly from a guy who is from my ancestral homeland after all. FYI I'm a scientist AND I also sell second hand food!

Crimson Wizard

There was this months-old topic about "mystery/horror" games made with AGS, maybe some of them will suit you:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53954.0

Also, speaking about AGS games, I heard "Richard and Alice" is a good mature game. I bought it on Steam in a bundle with "Charnel House Trilogy", but haven't played yet.

In the past years there were several full-length sci-fi games, unless you've already played them, such as "Primordia", "Resonance", "Gemini Rue".
Recently released and won best 2016 AGS game award: "Kathy Rain".

Gilbert

Please, edit your posts instead of making multiple posts in a row, as advised earlier.

DBoyWheeler

I highly recommend Yahtzee's "Chzo Mythos" (aka "X Days") series.

Mandle

InCreator

KGB aka Conspiracy (1992 I think, PC/Amiga)

creepiest adventure game I've played, ever. Pretty punishing, too

Bavolis

Keep in mind many of us are adults(I'm in my 40s) making games still very much in the style of the classics. A lot of adults back in the old days played and loved them, too :)

Dead Synchronicity comes to mind as one you'd probably enjoy.

Blondbraid

If I'd recommend some mature adventure games, it'd be:

The dark eye: Chains of Satinav - A fantasy aventure with a darker and more somber tone than most in the genre, and it has a bittersweet ending.

Fran Bow - A game with about the nightmares of a young girl. It has gruesome imagery and deals with themes such as death and mental illness.

A stroke of fate: Operation Valkyrie - A story about a german officer who becomes involved with the assassination attempt on Hitler. One of few games which doesn't shy away from discussing the holocaust and Nazi war-crimes.

All of those games are point and click adventures can be found on Steam.
I've made some free games in WWII-setting myself (you can find the links if you click on the banners below) but I'm probably not the one to ask on how well-written they are... (roll)

Grim

Quote from: Somniosus on Tue 20/06/2017 14:01:54
I live in a 3rd world country in Africa and find it very difficult to set up things like PayPal

Alrighty! Well that entitles you to get everything for free, yay!

Scavenger

Quote from: Grim on Wed 21/06/2017 23:31:09
Alrighty! Well that entitles you to get everything for free, yay!

Don't be a jerk, dude.

I mean, it could have alerted you to the fact that most of the stuff we take for granted here can't be accessed everywhere, the infrastructure simply isn't being supported by corporations (who control the flow of money to people). And when you literally cannot access something you can't be counted as a customer because you couldn't buy it legitimately in the first place. And people need enrichment in their life, you know. No excuse for excluding people from sharing in your culture because they're being blocked from accessing it legally.

Grim

That definitely explains that to me, thanks!

Next time I want something but can't afford it, I'll just take it. Because enrichment :P

m0ds

So we just outright advocate piracy here now, piracy of our own community's games, because 3rd world? (and enrichment lol)

Cape Town isn't third world... Well, apart from that freeway overpass that leads to nowhere, that is third world.

Anyway, yes there are a bunch of free games, as mentioned, Chzo myths, that's 4 games that will keep you occupied a good length. Donna Avenger of Blood, and some other oldies (I forget their names, morir en mir or something was one?). Use http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/search/ and filter "horror" / "drama" for a sure-fire bout of mature games.

Non-AGS games, I'm sure there are plenty of examples. LA Noire? Red Dead Redemption? These are basically adult adventure games. But you wouldn't turn up to the Rockstar forum asking where to torrent them without receiving a certain type of reception (ie banned) so please don't think this place is any different or any more tolerant when it directly affects people here. That said, I don't think you were being disingenuous nor trying to rip anyone off or such...but maybe a little docile/low-brow thinking we'd openly share how to pirate community member's games (and a lot of us are personal friends with The Slaughter dev, so yeah, don't be silly). Keep that shit to reddit... :=

Danvzare

Quote from: Somniosus on Tue 20/06/2017 12:49:13
BTW I don't mean to be disrespectful to the games of the 90's but come on guys you can't seriously tell me that you don't see the difference between what Dave gilbert does and what some of the writers for Sierra and Lucas arts did! Because its day and night, we are mostly adults on this site so I'd appreciate your honesty and acknowledgement of such writing differences rather than just trolling me because your in denial. I've even tried alota modern adventure games and yet the delusion continues like daedelic games good artwork but mostly horrible storylines that feel like your being treated like a little kid playing games about rabbits and all sorts of kiddies themes I can't see that children are smart enough to clock any adventure game so I don't know why the childish stories keep resurfacing maybe this just isn't the place for me then? Lastly, I apologize again  for ranting but as I said I'm in my 20's and I can't be playing games where the main character has a hat with bells on it I mean honestly...
You sound like one of those people who refuse to watch animated films because "they're for children".

Just because something isn't realistic doesn't mean it isn't "mature", and it certainly doesn't make it horrible.

But to each their own I suppose.
As for recommendations, the only things that instantly come to mind is the Broken Sword franchise and the two Manhunter games.
Oh and of course I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk