Best method for a .png "pop up"?

Started by madopolis, Fri 30/06/2017 18:26:02

Previous topic - Next topic

madopolis

I'm very new (started my first game this week! Subsequently I am awful at scripting),
I was wondering if I could get some advice on the best way to have a "close up"/ pop up .png image on the screen when player interacts.
Right now I have a computer in the background image tagged as a hotspot. I'd like a way for the player to be able to read (or potentially interact with) the screen of the computer. I couldn't find something quite like this in the forums (maybe I don't have the right vocabulary), any help would be appreciated. Sorry for my English.
Thank you!
*working on my first*

Cassiebsg

Depending exactly on what you wish to do, you can either go with a new room or a GUI.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Khris

Or a graphical overlay, but like Cassie said, it depends on how exactly you want this to work.

Should the player be able to interact with the popup in some way? Or just be able to click to close it? If it isn't going to cover the entire screen, do you want semi-transparent black around it?

madopolis

Quote from: Khris on Fri 30/06/2017 18:35:34
Or a graphical overlay, but like Cassie said, it depends on how exactly you want this to work.

Should the player be able to interact with the popup in some way? Or just be able to click to close it? If it isn't going to cover the entire screen, do you want semi-transparent black around it?

Either would work, I guess it depends on how involved the interaction scripting would have to be. I really have almost no skill. At most it would be switching between a few images on the computer's "screen", and then closing the pop up. I would like for it to take up the screen, and show a more detailed close-up of the computer and the desk it's on.
*working on my first*

Snarky

If you want a full-screen closeup from a different angle, that's often done by making it a separate room (with the player character not visible).

If you only have a few different screens, that can be done by an object that you switch out the graphic for. If you need different regions of the screen to be interactive, that becomes a bit more complicated.

dayowlron

I created one for a game I was working on that had 9 different screens. I used 2 rooms with 5 different backgrounds on one then 4 different backgrounds on the other. Then when the player clicked in specific areas of the screen it would change the room if necessary and set the background image using SetBackgroundFrame.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk