BACKGROUND BLITZ: The Café - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Started by lorenzo, Wed 05/07/2017 11:10:15

Previous topic - Next topic

xBRANEx

Concept: Cassiebsg
Playability: Rocchinator
Artistic Execution: Blondbraid

I loved Rocchinator's bg the most. I felt like maybe even giving him all three votes but decided against it so the competition has more sense and it was a little bit unfair to not give votes to other great entries. I look forward to the next background contest, my art skills need a lot of more work!

dactylopus

Concept: Stupot+
Playability: Stupot+
Artistic Execution: Rocchinator

I honestly have a hard time with characters in a background.  Since this is a Background Blitz, the contest is really about the background itself, and as such I feel that characters take away from the spirit of the contest.  So I'm voting for Stupot+'s background, as it is the only one that is simply a background.  I like the concept, and it is very playable.  It's also perhaps the only one that truly depicts a café.

I'm voting for Rocchinator's in the category of Artistic Execution.  I think it looks wonderful.  Yes, it has a character, but it only has one, and that character is the bartender (who pretty much exists in tandem with a bar).  I still think this background works well without the bartender, and therefore I'll give it that consideration.  While this image actually depicts a bar rather than the theme of a café, I still feel that this one is deserving of the vote.

xBRANEx did some fantastic pixel work as well, but there are simply too many characters in the picture for me to get a true sense of the background itself.

Blondbraid

Concept: xBRANEx
Artistic execution: Cassiebsg
It was a hard choice since I liked all of them, Cassiebsg's café looked the most like a screenshot from a finished game, while Roccinator's biker bar had so many cool details I could imagine interacting with, but xBRANEx's animal café looked fun too, and I liked that you animated the waggling tails!

Tabata

Concept:                Stupot+        (The only real pure Café background (nod) )
Playability:            Blondbraid    (Käsekuchen is served already and I need to know who or what hides underneath that trapdoor :grin: )
Artistic Execution: Rocchinator  (Mr. Fuzzy did it :wink: )

All entries are really interesting and have nicely aspects to discover for me.
Nevertheless I had a little prob with voting because most of them are looking more like a bar to me, sorry (roll)
Also some are more like 'in game' shots that would work perfectly as an extra- but not as the background entry itself.
That's of course just my personal

cat

Concept: Blondbraid. The background really tells a story.
Playability: Rocchinator with Cassiebsg as a close second. There is just so much to interact with.
Artistic Execution: Rocchinator Excellent pixel art!

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

I was really looking forward to seeing cafe`s  rather then bars, even though I know the rules stated saloons..etc  I also agree with dactylopus in that the point of this is to have the character and charm in the background itself without having to rely on actual characters, but since most of you have featured characters I feel I have no choice but to vote for the backgrounds as a whole including any characters.

Anyway...
Concept: - Stupot - A "background" for a background blitz! ;) Also a dream location for me looking out to the city on a humid evening. Love it.
Playability: - Rocchinator - Yet another hit from Rocc, So much to explore in one room, great detailing and composition.
Artistic Execution: - Blondbraid - Out of all the entries this says "cafe" to me most. The color balance and mood really says it all. Is this in Holland during German occupation? If so I am curious about the picture of the Irish bishop!

It was tough, and I also wanted to vote from Brane too but I figured I didn't want it to look like I was voting just because we had worked together very recently. Cassie and horusr too, wonderful entries, pity you never got yours complete horusr.
Cassie I really love the 3D and intend to experiment with 3D myself whenever next I am doing a p+c game.

Thank you and well done everybody on entering,.  keep producing eye candy!

selmiak

Concept: Cassiebsg - *oders a pina colada*
Playability: Rocchinator - I'd love to walk around that bar and steal stuff from the barkeeper or just click on things
Artistic Execution: xBRANEx - I like this one the most

Nixxon

Concept: Cassiebsg
Artistic execution: xBRANEx

Well done to all.

lorenzo

RESULTS

In 1st place we have... Rocchinator and his amazing biker bar!
As a trophy, you can choose between a classic blue cup...
...or a gold one...

In 2nd place we have... Blondbraid and his fantastic café!
Here's your silver cup:

In 3rd place we have... xBRANEx and his magnificent animals!
A bronze cup for you:

Congratulations to all winners!
Thanks everybody for participating, it has been great fun following the competition.

horusr

Congratz everyone!
Maan, now I want to drink coffee because of these cups...

Stupot

Well done Rocky, Blondie and Brainy. Good entries and stiff competition.

Cassiebsg

Congrats all, and thanks for all the nice comments on my BG. (nod) Okay, next time I'll be less lazy add the espresso machine and juice presser... (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Congratulations you all.
And an extra big congratulations to you Rocchinator.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Congrats to the 3 winners and the runners up, er runner up's, your acquiring a nice collection of trophies rocc lol ;)

xBRANEx

Oh, third place! I'm so happy! Can't wait the new blitz

Riaise

Rocchinator

Wow thanks to all I'm really happy! I will take the gold one :P . Congratulations to Blondbraid and xBRANEx. And congrats to lorenzo for this amazing BACKGROUND BLITZ.

I have... I think, a cool idea for the next BACKGROUND BLITZ stay tunned :D

horusr

Rocchinator

HAHAHAH I miss that one. guess I'm was waiting for tycho's colouring ball in my mind LOL :P. I correct he message. thanks horusr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk