The Aftermath - Part 1: Cliffhanger *new screenshot aug 17*

Started by Nixxon, Fri 19/08/2016 07:23:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Nixxon

Hey gang! I thought this may be as good of a time as any to unveil some gear.

Mechanical Bat Studios (it's really just one dude) bestows to you:

The Aftermath - Part 1: Cliffhanger
This vignette-esque episodic adventure follows the trials and tribulations of our good friend Clive as he must pit his wits against the perilous trials of the night within the small town of Firmwood.
Be it a kilted deviant or the most unfriendly neighborhood mutt, this journey will certainly yield a night no budding adventurer could forget!

Features:
640 x 400 resolution (just like mother used to make!).
Yummy classic Point n' Click "action"
Hand drawn colourful graphics
Acapella soundtrack
Voice acting
It's humorous (if you're a dry bastard).

Some screenies below (Note: still very much work in progress, particularly the GUI & character sprite).

Development Progress:
Backgrounds: 70%
Story/Puzzles: 100% (part 1)
Dialog: 70%
Music: 50%
Scripting: 60%
Animation: 20%

*I DON'T KNOW ANYMORE*

Pushing for a 2016 2017 release.

I now have a development log on game jolt and will be updating this thread simultaneously.

Obligatory Links -
twitter: /mechbatstudios
gamejolt: http://gamejolt.com/games/the-aftermath-part-1-cliffhanger/180011

I would inevitably love this to be a commercial franchise, not sure I could justify charging for part 1 as this is a relatively short endeavour.  If anyone has any experience or suggestions pertaining to this I would be all ears.

ThreeOhFour

I have the same grin when I walk around with no pants on. :cheesy:

This looks cool, and I wanna play it! :smiley:

Stupot

This looks grand. All the best :-)

Nixxon

Cheers guys! Means a lot :)

Gurok

Hi.

I really like the look of the art and will be looking forward to the game's release.

Good luck!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

AnasAbdin

Love the style of this :-D I want to play this game badly 8-0

Mandle

Firmwood!!!

There must be a town named that somewhere in real life...I demand it!!!

Also: LOVING the Swiss-cheese moon with the clouds going through the holes! That is such a great image!!!

I need to play this game!

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Nixxon

Thanks heaps guys. Glad you like it thus far.

BunnyShoggoth

Firmwood is actually from the universe of Jimmy Jam ;)

"Notorious for wreaking havoc amongst his home town of Firmwood, Jimmy hosts a mass array of elaborate pranks, mischievous demeanors and inhumane violations upon citizens far and abroad."

SilverSpook

Awesome art style!  I also like the fact that you can use the CBS logo as a verb in this game.  It's about time you can bring out Steven Colbert to satire a jackbooted door guard into such a state of roasted shame that he gives up his keycard. :)

Nixxon

@ BunnyShoggoth, you are correct sir ;)

@ SilverSpook. LOL. That is a placeholder graphic, however, I might just keep it now. :D

Matsui

The art style is really nice. Very distinctive. The clouds remind me of curse of monkey island.

I like the story concept too. Knobs at night.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

CrashPL

Yup, the art style is truly lovely. I especially like that moon with huge holes and clouds just casually passing through them. :D Keep up the good work!

Bishy

Quote from: Nixxon on Fri 19/08/2016 07:23:41I would inevitably love this to be a commercial franchise, not sure I could justify charging for part 1 as this is a relatively short endeavour.  If anyone has any experience or suggestions pertaining to this I would be all ears.

Well, it's not unheard of for an episodic series to have a free episode to draw players in. Case in point, I remember Sam & Max season 1 having a free episode (I think it was episode 4), and playing through that convinced me to buy all the episodes. The newest Kings Quest has also made it's first episode free.

So you could keep the first episode free and then charge for the others.

Nixxon

Cheers guys :)

@BishyT

This is exactly what I had in mind to be honest. Would it be worth registering for steam greenlight on something like this?

Bishy

Quote from: Nixxon on Fri 02/09/2016 01:31:21
Cheers guys :)

@BishyT

This is exactly what I had in mind to be honest. Would it be worth registering for steam greenlight on something like this?

Well, Steam does allow non-sexual nudity just as long as it's not in any of the promotional material (trailers, screenshots, etc). I recall Shower With Your Dad Simulator having some issues with that, and their penises were literally two pixels. :P

Personally, i'd wait until the first episode is out and you've got some feedback on it first. Because then you could make any necessary changes/updates to it, squash any bugs in it, and then when you make the Greenlight page for the series you can link to the first episode on GameJolt so the voters can play it for themselves before voting.

Nixxon

Solid advice mate! I think this is the way to go.

Thanks again.

Bishy

So how goes development? Also, are you going to wait until the full episode is completed before you release it, or will there be a demo?

Nixxon

Great Bishy! I'm finalising some animation which has proven more time consuming that I initially had planned for.

I will release this episode in full for free :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk