MAGS September "Past and Future Collide" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/09/2017 01:06:01

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS September

Fred and Barney meet the future by Slasher
5 (38.5%)
The Execution of Anne Boleyn by Riaise
8 (61.5%)
Time Trial by Mandle
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Mon 16/10/2017 00:25:50

Stupot

The voting is over and the winner of MAGS September is:

The Execution of Anne Boleyn by Riaise.

Well done Riaise. You'll be contacted soon about choosing a theme for November.

Thanks to all participants and voters.

Fred and Barney meet the future by Slasher
The Execution of Anne Boleyn by Riaise
Time Trial by Mandle

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please vote using the poll above.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: October 15th

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Past And Future Collide
This month's guidelines were set by DBoyWheeler

Description and Rules:
Basically, mix a past time period with the future in some way.

For example, something that's like Medieval Europe or pre-Islamic Arabia (i.e. Arabian Nights), or some other past time, but with sci-fi stuff (teleporters, phasers, etc.)  Heck, even the Stargate movie is an example of this (mixing ancient Egypt with futuristic high-tech).

Or maybe the location was futuristic, but a big war or other mega-disaster (natural, man-made, or even supernatural) made them try to start over, salvaging whatever high-tech is possible, and resembles something from a past era as well.  (The best example I could think of is the anime "Monster Rancher".  What is it?  Go forth and look it up on Wikipedia, my friend.)

Just try to mix some past historical setting (even if it's a fantasy-style setting of the medieval or whatever era) with the sci-fi future in some creative way.

Ending: September 30th

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

DBoyWheeler

Thanks for getting this started.  Let's see what we get with this cool idea!

Stupot

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Fri 01/09/2017 01:34:56
Thanks for getting this started.  Let's see what we get with this cool idea!
Yeah man. I think it's a great topic. I look for forward to seeing what combinations of past and future everyone comes up with.

Slasher

Sounds like we could have something cool here... Cheers DBoyWheeler (nod)

If I can just get more than one brain cell to function I may participate (laugh)

Mandle

My Steampunk-senses are tingling!

Great theme! I probably won't be in this month, but who knows...

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 01/09/2017 10:06:04
My Steampunk-senses are tingling!

Great theme! I probably won't be in this month, but who knows...

Oh, Mandle... partner in gaming crime...don't just walk out (laugh)

OK OK....

I have an idea... it sounds fab... but can I do it?

We'll have to see (laugh)

DBoyWheeler

Don't be shy about teaming up, Slasher and Mandle!

Joseph DiPerla

No guarantees or promises, but I wanted to give this a shot. Got myself a surface pro 4 for incredibly cheap and realized that my horrendous art skill is only considered very bad with a surface pen. So I have a new confidence for this. Question on the theme: how far do we have to go into the past or future? Can the past be let's say the 70's or 80's or even the 1800's or does it literally have to be like 500+ years?
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Mandle

Quote from: Joseph DiPerla on Fri 01/09/2017 16:22:39
Question on the theme: how far do we have to go into the past or future? Can the past be let's say the 70's or 80's or even the 1800's or does it literally have to be like 500+ years?

It's however you interpret the theme. Nobody around here is strict about how you do so.

MAGS is all about getting more and more games out there for the community to play, and for the growth of the creator as a game dev.

Just let us play your game if possible please!

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Joseph DiPerla on Fri 01/09/2017 16:22:39
No guarantees or promises, but I wanted to give this a shot. Got myself a surface pro 4 for incredibly cheap and realized that my horrendous art skill is only considered very bad with a surface pen. So I have a new confidence for this. Question on the theme: how far do we have to go into the past or future? Can the past be let's say the 70's or 80's or even the 1800's or does it literally have to be like 500+ years?

Well, it can be as far back (like ancient Egypt) or as recent (like the 1970's).  Just some sort of past time period.  Heck, it can even be a fantasy time period (like Arabian Nights or usual medieval fairy tale).  Just something that you know it's a past time period, and mixing it with something futuristic (like Star Trek style teleporters or phasers) would make it weird yet cool.  (It'd even be more interesting if, for example, it were a Wild West setting and the sci-fi phasers looked like sci-fi versions of six-shooters!)

Joseph DiPerla

Reminds me of a Dr Who episode with Matt Smith :-)
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Kumpel

Awesome MAGS topic, DBoyWheeler!
Too bad I won't find time to participate. I am still polishing the MAGS entry I made a year ago...
And told myself, not to get into a new project before this one is finished.

But I am pretty excited to see your interpretations!

Blondbraid

It sounds like a fun theme, I'm already toying with an idea of making an entry:

Basically, a mercenary/grave robber type character travels to a war-torn country in order to use the chaos to steal and plunder it's riches,
but accidentally activates an artifact that has the power to manipulate past events, and ends up altering key moments in the history of the region.
(I'm thinking of something similar to the memory remix puzzles in Remember Me.)
I've thought about using this idea to explore why some countries are laden with political and religious instability and corruption,
and how factors like colonialism and tension between different ethnic and religious groups as well as a wide class divide contributes.
However, while I want to tackle serious themes, I intend to use a fictional world with cyberpunk/steampunk theme for the setting.

However, me and Creamy are still polishing our last MAGS entry, but it would be fun to work on a new project again in case anyone finds my idea interesting.

Slasher

Present meets with the Past

Comic capers as a NASA bag from the present emerges from a wormhole and lands right at Fred Flintrocks' feet in Stoneage time....

"There is no one around."
"I wonder what is inside the bag?"
"Mmm. Very strange."
"I'v never seen these things before."
"I wonder what they are?"

Video in production:

DBoyWheeler

Wow!  Nice intro so far.  And funny how you spoof the Flintstones in a weird way.

Cassiebsg

Damn, love the topic, but unfortunately I vowed not to enter a new MAGS until I finish the 2 games I have at hand. :~(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Cool intro Slasher! Is the bone floating in space a reference to 2001?

Slasher

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 03/09/2017 17:51:02
Cool intro Slasher! Is the bone floating in space a reference to 2001?
Your connection is correct (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 03/09/2017 17:41:04
Damn, love the topic, but unfortunately I vowed not to enter a new MAGS until I finish the 2 games I have at hand. :~(

Such a shame really, because I think maybe your MAGS entries are potentially better than the ones you are toiling over and polishing into infinity...

"Out Of Gas" is amongst my favorite AGS games of all time, as is the lego-themed time travel one I forget the name of right now...

You might be a bit like me where you can't release anything unless it is "perfect" and you already lost most of your interest in it and it became a chore instead of a pleasure to go back to and open up AGS to work on it, unless you must release it because of a deadline...

Or maybe I'm just looking more at myself in the mirror...

Cassiebsg

Nah, deadlines are the key. No deadline, and you can work on it until infinity... (nod)(laugh)

OF:
Spoiler

But the BSG is virtually finished, I just need the last music track... And then a bit of testing to make sure it's working fine.
And the 2nd game if the last MAGS, not Jake... ;) Though I want to learn a new software, so decided I want to use that program to create the BGs for that game. So if I stop being so tired all the time, I can finish that game and just wait for "proper" BGs with the new software. (roll) But I've barely even been on the computer more than 10-20min a day lately. (roll)
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk