Fullscreen mode not working in 1080p / multimonitor setups

Started by SilverSpook, Sun 03/09/2017 23:42:23

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSpook

Hi guys, I've been having a lot of testers report issues with fullscreen mode in 1080p and higher resolution monitors and I was wondering if this was common or if there is some way to fix this?  Here's a couple of the reports:

QuoteAlso as I am running a dual monitor setup for whatever reason Allegro decided to change the resolution of both monitors to 1600x1200 and display the game on them both. On one monitor which is a 4k display it was severely cut off, so I think there might be some display related issues. If there was a way to easily run it in window mode that would be helpful, as I didn't see an option in my brief look on the settings. It also didn't try scaling up the 1366x768 so it was in a little window on my 1080p monitor. For reference I am running an AMD Fury under the latest open source drivers. Here is the log output for that run: https://pastebin.com/Bz6GSKD3 . Another thing to note is that upon quitting the game it didn't reset the desktop resolution to what it was set to before, so had to manually reset my monitor positions and sizes.

QuoteUsing 1080p I lose 1/4th of my screen (on horizontal and vertical). I really hope this wasn't intentional, because I really dislike even games that don't have full proper scaling (maximizable window, borderless fullscreen, etc)... not even supporting 1080p (which--according to steam survey--is on half of all single-monitor computers... and 33% of multi-monitor computers) is even worse.

Alt-tab and alt-f4 don't work which is another annoyance.

My game Neofeud is in 1366 x 768 for reference.

SilverSpook

Has anyone encountered this issue at all, by chance? It could be the resolution of the game itself, I suppose...

Khris

Quote from: SilverSpook on Thu 07/09/2017 11:42:45It could be the resolution of the game itself, I suppose...
Yeah, that's my guess, too. Picking a resolution like that was bound to create trouble, tbh.

Crimson Wizard

Is it Linux only or happens on Windows too? You did not mention this anywhere, but the linked log output mentions Linuxy paths.

From the looks of a log, Allegro is only able to see 1920x1080 as a maximal supported resolution. Since they are using "max round scaling" setting, the maximal integer scaling for  1366 x 768 is exactly one, which certainly will look small on their big screen of 5760 x 2160.

I think we had reports in the past that fullscreen does not work very well with Linux port. Unfortunately AGS only has software mode working on Linux now.
Did they try to run in windowed mode?

SilverSpook

These guys were Linux users, however I've had other Windows users run into these problems as well, on the higher-resolution, newer displays.

It seems like it might be an issue of the 1366x768 resolution then... If so, is there an easy way for them to get the game to fill up the screen in fullscreen mode, without having to change the whole game to a new resolution?  You said "max round scaling" will make their game window really small, is there another setting they could use?

If I had to change the game's resolution, what would be a resolution that would be able to run in fullscreen easily for most or all high res displays?

Folks did get the game running in windowed mode, yes, but many still wanted to get it to fullscreen.

Thanks for the help!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: SilverSpook on Thu 07/09/2017 19:36:59
It seems like it might be an issue of the 1366x768 resolution then... If so, is there an easy way for them to get the game to fill up the screen in fullscreen mode, without having to change the whole game to a new resolution?  You said "max round scaling" will make their game window really small, is there another setting they could use?

If I had to change the game's resolution, what would be a resolution that would be able to run in fullscreen easily for most or all high res displays?

EDIT: Looks like I was confused by the person mentioning 5000+ monitor resolution and double monitors, and did not understand what the actual problem is.
If AGS is run in fullscreen it will change the mode anyway, so the fact that Allegro cannot detect maximal display mode is not a big issue. So, the real problem is that they cannot find a way to set game stretch to whole screen?

You do not need to change game's resolution. The only issue with 1366x768 is that it's hard to find larger modes that are "round" multipliers of 1366x768.
But player may change to "stretch to fit screen" or "stretch proportionally" mode, which will make game stretch accordingly, albeit scaling won't be integer number anymore.

On Windows this is done in winsetup, on Linux one may edit acsetup.cfg by hand, following these instructions:
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/release-3.4.0/OPTIONS.md

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk