Flight of the Amazon Queen(1995) Thoughts

Started by Umbrella Terms, Fri 22/09/2017 06:27:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Umbrella Terms

I just recently played through Flight of the Amazon Queen(1995), and I was somewhat disappointed. I felt like the puzzles were mostly check-list fare that doesn't really add anything to the characters or world. There are some funny moments, especially the gorilla(oh that gorilla...). The game is freeware now, so I at least I didn't waste money on it. I made a video detailing my experience with the game:

I was wondering how others felt about this game? I feel like there's parts of the game that can make it enjoyable, the occasional odd story beats being one aspect, but for me it dragged on for far too long in addition to some puzzles I stumbled upon the solution instead of actually figuring it out.

Mandle

I loved the game for the mood, characters and story mostly. None of the puzzles really stand out in my memory though, although one with itching powder perhaps was quite fun if I recall.

It was an unexpected treat when I first played it though. I felt like I'd discovered another Indiana Jones game at times, although it never really quite reached the quality level of the Lucasarts games.

Still, it's a game I have fond memories of and will have to replay sometime...

Stupot

I like it. The story is nothing to write home about, but it's fun. Today's devs are so obsessed with narrative and characters that they're forgetting that it's okay for games to just be fun, too. I played Amazon Queen with my niece a few years ago, who was like 8, and had totally forgotten that there are some naughty bits in the game. But we had a blast playing it. I can't really remember the puzzles in detail either, but I remember we got stuck a few times, which I think makes for a healthy adventure game.

Monsieur OUXX

It is well-known nowadays that this game is legend because of its mood but that the puzzle design was awful.

CaptainD

It was fun, mainly for the humour and animations though, it displayed many of the typical features of games in that era, both good and bad.  I would never have completed it without looking up some of the solutions.  I also got it free (been free on GOG for a few years IIRC), not sure how gutted I'd have felt to actually shell out money for it.

milkanannan

I think I remember a demo for this game pretty highly circulated, which seemed fun.

Cool playthrough vid. 8-)

Hobo

I've been meaning to play the game ever since it went freeware (in 2004?), but somehow never gotten around to it. One day...

Mandle

I just watched the first 3-4 minutes of your video and remembered why I liked this game so much: The CHEESE!!!

So I had to turn the video off, because I don't want to spoil too much of what I don't remember of the game,  but it was very well made up to that point!

Cassiebsg

I remember playing it, but think I only played the demo back then. I did download the freeware version a few years ago and I'm playing it on my tablet when I get the chance, but I haven't finished it yet (and I don't want to look up a walk-through either ;) ).
Anyway, I'm enjoying it, and has some funny moments. (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Ponch

I've had a soft spot for this game for a long time. I love the goofy pulp adventure story that it tells. As others have said, the puzzles are kind of weak, but the jokes land nicely and the art is quite nice for the era in which it was made. :smiley:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk