AGS games run slow in VM

Started by Snarky, Sun 15/10/2017 08:08:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

I'm on a MacBook, and running Windows in a Virtual Machine to work on AGS games. I've used both Parallels and VirtualBox for my VM.

Windows runs pretty smoothly inside the VM, and I can use most apps no problem. However, when I try to run an AGS game with the debugger and sound, it is very sluggish (appearing to run at somewhere between 10 and 20 loops per second). Running it outside the debugger, or without sound, it runs much better, close to the standard 40 loops/second (the mouse cursor still lags a bit).

This isn't a huge problem, since I can usually just set "No Digital Sound" in winsetup. But is there anything else I can do to speed things up?

eri0o

Hey Snarky, I use AGS on Linux with Wine, but I know Wine also has Mac builds, have you tried Wine? You may need to use Winetricks to install dotnet20 before running the editor. I actually use PlayOnLinux to manage different Wine installs, which allows having multiple AGSs versions.

Did you get your Windows VM from Microsoft? The website has latest Windows 10 VMs for free and I have successfully ran AGS in those with no slowdowns (using VirtualBox too)

Snarky

Thanks. I haven't heard of people running the Editor on Mac through Wine. I suppose I'll give it a shot.

I didn't get the VM via Microsoft, but looking at it it seems to just be Windows 10 Enterprise bundled with a bunch of apps I don't really need. Is it any different from just installing regular Windows in a regular VirtualBox setup?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk