Can you do Oxenfree and Telltale style timed and interrupting dialogue in AGS?

Started by 3ngin33r, Sat 02/12/2017 01:24:54

Previous topic - Next topic

3ngin33r

NPC interaction will be a major part of my game so it's really important that the engine I'm using can do this.

I'm not great at explaining so I'll try painting a picture.
Basically take this screen from Undertale: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/undertale/images/a/ac/Snowdinshopkeep.png/revision/latest?cb=20151030093324

A full-screen picture of the NPC(s) you're talking to so you can see their changing facial expression/posture. Instead of the black box at the bottom, there will be speech bubbles all over the screen. Different bubbles will do different things. Some will interrupt the NPC and talk over them (eg. Greeti... "Your barn is on fire!"). Some will be fleeing thoughts that fade away and you have to click on while it's on the screen or you'll lose the opportunity forever. Some will only pop up if you hover over a specific thing (eg. you hover over NPC's scar "How'd you get that scar.")

IT also needs to be able to keep track of time and your cursor's location and do stuff based on that. Eg. if you keep your cursor on an NPC's face and say nothing for 30 seconds they will be weirded out and comment on it.

Also for reference, check out Oxenfree's trailer for how the dialogue works there, I'm going for a similar effect.

Cassiebsg

Of course you can do all that.

You just need to code it appropriately. The default templates here will be no help, and you probably won't be able to use the dialogues, but instead design your own "talk" gui(s), with buttons (the text bubbles) that do what you want, and add custom timers to turn on the options on-off... the you can just add character.Say("...") to make them talk and add other commands to make things happen (or not)...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Khris

Yeah, it's simply a buttload of complicated scripting. But AGS is perfectly capable of doing it.

I actually implemented Telltale dialogs a few weeks ago, you can take a look at the main script here: https://pastebin.com/6ApPCgJf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk