Author Topic: AGS 3.4.2 - alpha 3 - next WIP version  (Read 7436 times)

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Project Tracker Admins
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    •  
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
    • Crimson Wizard worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      Crimson Wizard worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
AGS 3.4.2 - alpha 3 - next WIP version
« on: 21 Feb 2018, 13:52 »
AGS 3.4.2 - Alpha 3

Download 3.4.2 (Alpha 3) as a .zip archive
Download Dark UI Theme for the editor

ACHTUNG!
This is a development version of AGS 3.4.2.
Use at your own risk. Please back up any games before opening them in this version of AGS.
New settings in this version may make your project files unusable in previous versions after saving with this version.

Last updated: 31th of July, 2018
Has all content from AGS 3.4.1.13.

This release is brought to you by:

- Alan v. Drake
- ChamberOfFear
- Crimson Wizard
- Martin Sedlak (new pathfinding)
- morganw
- tzachs

What is new in 3.4.2

So far this update is mainly focused on improving the Editor's UI and tidying some things in the engine.

Common features:
 - Removed font limit.

Editor:
 - Editor requires .NET Framework 4.0 to run.
 - Editor preferences are now stored using .NET configuration model, instead of the Windows registry.
 - Added support for custom UI color themes.
 - New navigation bar in the room editor, which allows to select any room object or region for editing, show/hide and lock room objects and regions in any combination.
 - Improved how Room zoom slider works, now supports downscale.
 - Added "Export mask to file" tool button to the Room Editor.
 - Added "Always"choice to "Popup message on compile" preference. Successful compilation popup will only be displayed if "Always" choice is selected.
 - Added shortcut key combination (Shift + F5) for stopping a game's debug run.
 - Build autocomplete table a little faster.
 - Don't modify filesystem permissions in Compiled directory when compiling the game.
   Editor no longer requires non-standard "takeown.exe" utility.
 - Corrected .NET version query for the anonymous statistics report.
 - Fixed sprite folders collapsing after assigning sprite to a View frame or an object.
 - Fixed view loops displayed with offset if the view panel area was scrolled horizontally prior to their creation.
 - Fixed TextWindow GUI's elements could be deleted or moved in the editor with key controls.
 - Fixed rooms not being rebuilt when running game just created from a template.

Engine:
 - New pathfinder based on the A* jump point search.
 - Implemented new savegame format. Much cleaner than the old one, and easier to extend, it should also reduce the size of the save files.
   The engine is still capable of loading older saves, temporarily.
 - Prevent game from crashing if there was an attempt to draw text with a non-existing font.
 - Expanded some of the error messages providing more information to end-user and developers.
 - On Linux improved CPU yield function, this supposedly may reduce CPU usage.

Windows:
 - Windows version of AGS is now built with MSVS 2015 and higher.

On color themes

After launching the Editor, go to File - Preferences. In the "Editor Appearance" group box you will find "Color Theme" setting. If you haven't installed any themes yet the selection list will be empty. Press "Import Color Theme" and select appropriate JSON file, containing theme configuration.
Sample color theme: Dark UI Theme.

There is no specification on theme creation yet, but I hope there will be one at some point. For now you may copy and modify existing one. Themes are in JSON format, which you may edit in most simple text editors. If the theme is broken, the editor will report an error and reset to Default theme on startup.
ChamberOfFear also suggested creating a repository for the themes to let people upload their own and improve existing ones, which we may do in a future.

On new navigation bar in the room editor

This was made by tzachs back in 2014, but got into the editor only now. The feature is working, but may need polishing.

Screenshots (warning - big size):
Add spoiler tag for Hidden:

Quoting tzachs (from his old thread) -

- Room Layers

This feature allows you to view (and edit) walkable areas/walk-behinds/hotspots/regions/characters/objects/edges in the same time (as opposed to only seeing one of them at a time, like we've seen before).
Well, not entirely though: walkable areas/walk-behinds/hotspots/regions still can't be seen together (as they use masks and is part of the natives dll so I skipped it for now) but they can be seen along objects, characters, and edges.

- Visibility

Each layer can be made visible/hidden by the push of a button. In addition, for the objects/characters/edges layers each item in the layer can also be made visible/hidden by the push of a button. This will only affect the editor, not the actual game.

- Locking

Each layer can be locked/unlocked by the push of a button. In addition, for each layer, each item in the layer can also be locked/unlocked by the push of a button.
A locked item cannot be moved until it is unlocked, useful to prevent mistakes when designing the room. This will only affect the editor, not the actual game.

On savegame format

AGS 3.4.2 introduces new savegame format. This had to be done for several reasons, mostly internal ones, because existing format was too difficult to maintain and expand.
From the user's perspective, the notable change is that save file will be somewhat smaller, because redundant data is no longer written there (I did some tests in the past, and iirc depending on circumstances the size reduction was about 20-40%, but this awaits confirmation).

The new format is completely non-compatible with the old one. This means that if you run some existing game with the new engine, and save a game, that save can't be loaded by previous engine.
On the other hand, new engine can still load old saves. Old saves support is temporarily and may be removed in future.
Keep these two points in mind if you plan on upgrading existing game to AGS 3.4.2.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2018, 18:05 by Crimson Wizard »

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
    • Cassiebsg worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: AGS 3.4.2 - next WIP version (unstable)
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2018, 17:43 »
Ohh... can't wait to try this version, so many goodies I have long longer for! (nod)

Great work everyone and big big thanks!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2018, 18:31 »
I can't wait until I come home to try this! Awesome release! :O

Joseph DiPerla

• Joseph DiPerla, Adventure Game Creator Wannabe!
    • I can help with backgrounds
    •  
    • I can help with characters
    •  
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
    • I can help with web design
    •  
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2018, 12:25 »
Nicely done!
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2018, 14:06 »
So... does it at least run? Still waiting for confirmation (lol).
I have a suspicion that we will need to make some adjustments to make it run on Windows XP, or even maybe make a separate build for Windows XP. Did not try myself yet.

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2018, 17:56 »
I can confirm it runs (on win7 64bit) and reads the dark theme just fine. (nod)

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2018, 23:46 »
Hey CW! It worked great here!

Steps for Linux using Play On Linux (I use Ubuntu 16.04):
- Create a new Play On Linux drive, I used wine x86 3.1 .
- On Play On Linux, go to the virtual drive, and under Install Components, install Microsoft Core Fonts.
- After, still under Install Components, install dotnet40
- I created a folder in Program Files called Adventure Game Studio 3.4.2
- Copy the downloaded AGS files and extract the content in the Adventure Game Studio 3.4.2 folder.
- I placed the VisualStudioDark.json theme there too.
- On Play On Linux interface, click create shortcut from this virtual drive, select AGSEditor.exe, I named the shortcut AGS342.
- done! Just run the previously created shortcut! 8-)

I added a spoiler tag in the image below because it's big.
Add spoiler tag for Hidden:
342 default theme

with dark theme

(my Wine is emulating Windows XP environment!)
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2018, 23:52 by eri0o »

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2018, 20:06 »
I'm testing it with my current game, installed the dark theme and running it on Win 10 64bit.
So far so good!

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2018, 21:49 »
Uhm... was trying this, but I got an issue, not sure if it's just me.

I started a new project using the BASS template, change res, color depth, proper alpha blending, imported some sprites, created a few views, created 2 new characters, added them to room 1, change the BG in room 1... thus I now have 3 characters in room yet. Yet in the editor I can only see the original character. 8-0
And yes the characters are on the screen and I added a walkable area. If I run F5 I can move my new character and see the other two.

Edit: Okay, I closed the editor and opened it again. Now the characters are shown in the editor. Using the "rebuild all files" doesn't solve it either. Seems like only restarting the editor does. :~(

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2018, 21:55 »
Edit: Okay, I closed the editor and opened it again. Now the characters are shown in the editor. Using the "rebuild all files" doesn't solve it either. Seems like only restarting the editor does. :~(

"Rebuild all files" compiles the game and does not affect what you see in the editor, so it's natural that it does not fix anything.

To clarify: in the editor you do not see the characters that you have added to the room until you restart the editor? What about closing and reopening room tab?

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2018, 22:47 »
To clarify: Closing and opening the room tab doesn't help. so far only restarting the editor has solved the problem.
Maybe some others could try this just to see if it's just me or a bug?

Privateer Puddin'

• Mittens Knight
  • bob
« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2018, 00:07 »
My test on it:

Open Room X
Change Character to Room X
Character is not seen on Room X, but you can pick it from the list of characters in Properties for that room
Closing and opening the room tab doesn't show the character

Opening another room and then going back to Room X will now show the character (don't need to restart the editor)

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2018, 01:09 »
Funny, I can't choose the character from list either (using the dark theme, if that makes a difference).
But can confirm that opening a new room and then returning will fix the character showing. (nod)

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2018, 01:17 »
Funny, I can't choose the character from list either (using the dark theme, if that makes a difference).
But can confirm that opening a new room and then returning will fix the character showing. (nod)

Do you mean the list in the upper bar? Does it get shown there after changing rooms?

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2018, 01:27 »
I mean the bar where it shows Room > Characters > cName
If I add a new character to the room and open the room, the character will neither be seen nor be available in that drop down list (is there another place to see which characters are in the room?). opening a new room and then returning will show the character in the room and in the list. Removing the character from the room (or moving it to another room) will remove it from the editor show but still show it on the drop down list. Again these are fixed with opening another room and returning.

Privateer Puddin'

• Mittens Knight
  • bob
« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2018, 01:36 »

cMarket moved to Room 1. I can select them from Properties on the right (and their dotted line box is shown on the background) but I can't see them or select them from the Edit this room's > Room > Characters bit that I can once I reload the room

« Reply #16 on: 01 Mar 2018, 09:09 »
Editor:
 - Editor uses (and requires) .NET 4.0 and C# 6.0.

Does this means that in the new version we'll be scripting in C#? Nice.

« Reply #17 on: 01 Mar 2018, 10:11 »

Sorry to disappoint but that's not what that means. It's probably a little open to interpretation since Crimson Wizard mentioned C# version which isn't relevant to the end user. Anyway, the Editor is made in C# .NET, and we recently upgraded the .NET version, so now users need to make sure they have the corresponding .NET version, that's all.

Snarky

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Earl
  • Private Insultant
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
« Reply #18 on: 01 Mar 2018, 10:56 »
I just installed AGS on a fresh Win10 machine, and had to go through an extra step of tracking down and installing .NET 2.0 (which is actually part of the 3.5 package) first. That's the bit that should no longer be needed, since newer versions of Windows cone with newer versions of .NET.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #19 on: 01 Mar 2018, 13:13 »

I just installed AGS on a fresh Win10 machine, and had to go through an extra step of tracking down and installing .NET 2.0 (which is actually part of the 3.5 package) first. That's the bit that should no longer be needed, since newer versions of Windows cone with newer versions of .NET.

Which version of AGS did you install?
This new version should not be requiring .NET 2.0 anymore, at least not supposed to.
.NET 2.0 is included in 3.5, I think, but it is not included into the higher versions of .NET (4.0+).

Sorry to disappoint but that's not what that means. It's probably a little open to interpretation since Crimson Wizard mentioned C# version which isn't relevant to the end user. Anyway, the Editor is made in C# .NET, and we recently upgraded the .NET version, so now users need to make sure they have the corresponding .NET version, that's all.

I will rephrase this line in the changes.txt to make it clear we are talking about .NET requirements.

As for scripting in C#, there was a plugin for that once.