Would a cross-interface hybrid be successful? Or fail miserably?

Started by Scavenger, Mon 21/04/2003 18:59:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Scavenger

Yes, after literally seconds* of procrastination, I have come up with a sink-or-swim kind of game GUI. But will it hold up against your comments? And has it been done before on AGS?

PARSE-AND-CLICK!

Heres a brief explanation of the interface: It combines the flexibility of the Text Parser, and the simplicity of the Point and Click... without word guessing or limited choices. You simply click on a button to fill the Text Box with the Verb, and then on a inventory item and/or an object! ;D Then by pressing enter, the game parses it. Or you could just type it all in! Its up to you.

Will it sell**? Will it fail? Comments welcome, as always.

*Underestimates may occur during transit.
** Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Barcik

Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

wOoDz

TADS HTML  kinda does that, you can use web page type links, and displays static pictures and sounds, and is easy-ish to do, source codes are easy to find and simply to adapt to ur own games, i used it, and did a couple of games  but AGS is a better thing all together ;D

woodz

Esseb

Check out "Eric the Unready" and the other games by the company that made it. Works just like what you described.

Trumgottist

Eric the Unready is one of my favourite games! The comany that made it is called Legend Entertainment Company. (Not to be confused with the other LEC.  :))

Rincewind

Ah Eric The Unready is really funny, but I got stuck in it a while ago, and I haven't taken up playing it yet...  ::)
The newspaper is the best part of the game, though... The ads inside it are extremely funny!  

"Bilbo. Come back. All is forgiven. Sold the ring - Frodo."  

MrColossal

well of course being an eric i had to play eric the unready, it was hilarious and cute though i didn't like how there was a turn limit

the problem with that GUI is that it took up quite a large part of the screen, try downloading one of the legend games from The Underdogs or just peeping a screenshot
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

cornjob

QuoteYou simply click on a button to fill the Text Box with the Verb, and then on a inventory item and/or an object! Then by pressing enter, the game parses it.

I never liked having the click the verb, then the object. It's annoying.

How about this: hover and autocomplete? Instead of clicking, you just hover the mouse over any object on the screen, then start typing (like how the text input pops up upon hitting any letter key in the sierra SCI0 games). And not only does the input box pop up, but so does a mini list of possible verbs that begin with the same letter (similar to the autocomplete on your browser or in the script editor). Then you can either continue typing or click to complete.
Furthermore, you could just click directly on objects to do default actions like LOOK.
This would be pretty hard to script though... not much harder than your original idea though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk