The tutorial hasn't been updated in forever, can't find "default" template, cras

Started by DisorderlyConduct, Tue 03/07/2018 06:42:46

Previous topic - Next topic

DisorderlyConduct

hes when I try to test run...

I'm trying to learn how to use AGS, but the tutorial is obsolete, and I can't run anything without the engine crashing.

Does the "Default Game" template still exist anywhere, or was it just renamed? (I tried Sierra-style and one other for use in the tutorial; both resulted in crashes.)

Trying to run the game with or without going through the first two tutorial lessons results in a very generic crash message wit no useful information. Should the game templates be runnable out of the box, or do I need to do something else to make them work? I just want to get through the tutorial so I can start work on my game, but it's difficult when I've followed all the instructions, yet the game crashes anyway, and I have no idea why.

DisorderlyConduct

(Also, I had half a mind to title this thread "HELP! Question for Chris" and post it in the advanced technical section after having to go through that quiz to register, and I'm curious: How often does some other smartass come along and do things like that? :tongue: )

Snarky

Hi, and welcome to the AGS Forums.

Quote from: DisorderlyConduct on Tue 03/07/2018 06:42:46
I'm trying to learn how to use AGS, but the tutorial is obsolete, and I can't run anything without the engine crashing.

Does the "Default Game" template still exist anywhere, or was it just renamed? (I tried Sierra-style and one other for use in the tutorial; both resulted in crashes.)

Yes, the "Default Game" was recently updated and renamed to "Sierra-style", to be more descriptive and since in this day and age it doesn't make sense to assume that as the default style.

It's old for sure, but apart from this naming inconsistency (and, I notice, the recommendation to use 16-bit color), how is the tutorial obsolete?

QuoteTrying to run the game with or without going through the first two tutorial lessons results in a very generic crash message wit no useful information.

If you put the message here, we could decide whether or not it's useful...
Bu are you able to run other AGS games that you have downloaded? It might be that you need to change some setting in the configuration to make them run.

QuoteShould the game templates be runnable out of the box

Yes.

Quote from: DisorderlyConduct on Tue 03/07/2018 06:44:29
(Also, I had half a mind to title this thread "HELP! Question for Chris" and post it in the advanced technical section after having to go through that quiz to register, and I'm curious: How often does some other smartass come along and do things like that? :tongue: )

Never. (But didn't we discuss removing that quiz? It might just be that AGA hasn't got around to it.)

Crimson Wizard

In addition to what Snarky asked:
First of all, please tell what version of AGS are you using.
Please, always post the error messages, no matter how useless they seem to you, because they still may be meaningful to us (at least give some hint).
Explain what steps lead to that error in more detail (do you run game right out of the editor, or from the disk? do you change anything in the game prior to that?)

Also, there may be obsolete tutorials and documentation around, depends where you get them. Could you clarify where did you find the tutorial you were using?

kurzal

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 03/07/2018 07:44:51

Yes, the "Default Game" was recently updated and renamed to "Sierra-style", to be more descriptive and since in this day and age it doesn't make sense to assume that as the default style.

Thanks for the clarification, Snarky! Still, it is difficult for a foreign-speaking person (me) who is not even familiar with the basics of programming ;-D , to understand the tutorial, which by default comes with AGS 3.4.1. Now I know! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk