Music question for a pseudo-newbie.

Started by DinghyDog, Wed 23/04/2003 03:25:54

Previous topic - Next topic

DinghyDog

I am relatively new to this forum and AGS, but not to video games. I've done a lot of web programming and know the basic syntax for a lot of languages. That's not my problem here. I simply have a problem with music.

Now I am a very musical person, but I don't have much experience in writing my own. I give you two hypothetical situations:

1) WRITING MY OWN: What advice do you have? Programs? Synthesizers? What? Any general advice on the subject.

2) GETTING SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT: How many people are even willing to do it for no pay? Seems a lot for nothing. Also, what people are good for what kinds of games?

Now you don't have to answer all of these, just as much as you can. I have a lot of things planned, but no one wants to play a silent game.

Many thanks.

-DD
It's yer owld pal Dinghy Dog!!

Raggit

There are lots of people here who will compose music for your game for free!!!

Just becuase they like to do it!

I myself compose music for people here who are doing games.  Just post a simple thread stating you need music and you'll get somebody!

And as far as what people are good for what kinds of games, I say if they are really a good composer they can do most anything!

I myself find it easier to compose for serious and comic games.  

But everybody is different.  I'm kinda tied up with music jobs so I don't think I can do it for you but I'm sure m0ds or somebody else is willing.
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

DinghyDog

Hm. Interesting. I will have to look into that...once I get a lot further in my game. Heh. Thanks for the info.

-DD

n3tgraph

I also make music :)

recently made something for barcik, and mad_reizka.
making music is phun. You say you are very musical, wouldn't it be much more fun to create some songs yourself?

What do ye be needin'
well, I don't really know. It depends on your situation, here's mine:
I play synthesizer in a band - so I have a synthesizer ;)
I combine the synth with my computer and start rockin'. Note that a simple midi keyboard could do the trick as well - but when you're going for the full mp3 great sounding files, a nice synth is great. I combine the synthesizer with a program called 'cubase'. It's great for keyboards imo. You could also make music without a keyboard, but it would be a hell of  alot work :)

Your sound card has a general midi onboard. You can also use quicktime musical instruments etc. So when playing midi files, these are used.

If you need more info pm me :)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Shouldn't that be quasi-newbie?

Anyway, get Cakewalk if you have money.
Get Anvil Studio if you don't.

Simple, really ^_^

Fuzzpilz

Buzz, if you're interested in seriously making music. You'll have to invest some time, but once you've figured it out there's little that's anywhere near as powerful and above all versatile. Also, it's freeware.

Quickstrike

Quote from: Archangel on Wed 23/04/2003 18:11:54
Shouldn't that be quasi-newbie?

Anyway, get Cakewalk if you have money.
Get Anvil Studio if you don't.

Simple, really ^_^

Yes, pseudo means fake.  Semi, which means part, would be acceptable.  (I like Latin!  :P )
"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

DinghyDog

I am the diet-coke, of newbies.

Actually, I have a program called Finale (not the new version, a version that's about a year old) on my computer, I just haven't had time to compose.

-DD

Scarpia

I am a musical master!!!1!!!!!1!1!!1 I juz d0nt have any progz 4 makkin music with.

Much kidding.

Actually, I too have been thinking a lot about starting to compose / remix / sample some music on my computer, but I seriously need a mentor who could help me choose the right software for the different tasks involved and step me through the most basic steps of music-making, such as:

1. Where to get the samples?

2. Basically, how is remixing done?

3. it seems most of the 'pro' music programs I've seen can basically do nothing but cut/paste, pitch/speed change, echo, fade and volume. Is that really it???

Scarpia
Scarpia "The Majestic"
Supreme creator of { junk dot dk } and Application of Puzzle Theory

auhsor

I can't speak for anyone else, but i think a few people here have music composition abilility and would be happy to compose some stuff for you.

M0ds would probably help you. Check out: http://screen7.adventuredevelopers.com/soundtracks.htm

n3tgraph

PM me for music when you need some music or help, I would be glad to help in any way possible

IF I have the time ;)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk