I'm a white middle class male, get me out of here!

Started by , Mon 28/04/2003 19:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

m0ds

Is it me or do certain jobs make it feel as if your brain is shrivelling up?

I remember I worked for RM once, an education software company and I was on the "production line". I stood there for 8 hours a day screwing in a few screws to a motherboard. Now I'm SURE my brain started shrinking!

My friend who was also working there came up to me and said he thought he was "going insane" lol.

We only did it for 2 days. HA!

Now, lately I've been doing some mundane jobs. Litter picking being the most obvious. Walking around a large land fill site (yes thats right, a place where everyones rubbish goes) picking up litter (have you ever seen a bigger contradiction?).

And for some reason lately I feel dumb. LOL. I mean, my brain has been switched off during the day and then can't switch on again at night its like.

Has any one else found their job isn't creative enough? We're adventure game developers not litter picking store attendant chicken farming no-one's... Are we?

:)
m0ds

Privateer Puddin'

c.leksutin

you got a problem with chicken farming pal??

Truthfully, I know your pain.  I've done all mannor of useless jobs, the pinnical being the opne day I worked in a ball-bearing factory.

C.

Pumaman

I did data entry for a summer job once, and I'm sure my brain shrivelled up during that - sitting there for 8 hours a day typing numbers off invoices into a computer.

._.

c.leksutin

I once spent a month raking mud.

I'm not kidding.

C.

Evil

At school, I am the dumbass... Really, I fail a lot of classes... But why is it that in the class I am doing the worst in everyone always asks me questions? But it feels good to be asked for computer help.  :)

m0ds

Raking mud, eeek. LoL, think thats bad?

The other day I shovelled manure into wheel-barrows all day long.

m0ds

Yahtzee

I referee at a paintball place, get shot always. I created a secret electrical plug in, so I always bring my computer out there and slack off. I'm typing this message from there right now.

rodekill

I was a dish washer in a restaurant for two days. Worst job ever.
Second place goes to working filling orders and packing boxes in a warehouse.
8 hrs in one spot with no air-conditioning. Handling the paper all day made our hands so dry that even lotion stopped helping.
Good times.
On the other hand, doing that crappy job was what finally made me decide to go back to school.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

remixor

I work at the Dining Commons at U.C. Berkeley, where I attend college.  It's a horrible, horrible job.  I have to clean all the shit off of filthy student's trays and sterilize them in order to recycle them back into use.  Of course since it's free food everybody takes about 329054 times more than they need and the average tray has about 95% of the food that was originally put on it when it comes down to us.  Not to mention, because of the heat-sterlization machines they use, it's about a thosand degrees in the cleaning room, and we're stuck there for five hours at a time without breaks.  It sucks.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Goldmund

I was hired illegaly in this translating company. They even had stacks of blank paper with a stamp and a signature of a sworn translator for us to fill in. He got some money for this "in blanco", I assume.

Anyway, one day I got a furnace manual written in english by a Taiwanese. My job was to translate it to polish.
Ah.
I still remember my favourite line:
"The controls can be."

Squinky

Soft, Gooey, Delicious.

In my first year at uni, I used to do overnight shifts at macdonalds. This was friday and saturday night and then I spent the rest of the week at uni effectively jetlagged. Needless to say, I failed like a mofo.
Kant was a dirty deontologist fuck.
the fade.
Yeeha!
Call me...  now

Timosity

I've worked as a cleaner before when I was straight out of school, got a bit tedious but it wasn't that bad, I've worked as a courier, and that was actually quite fun.

I also worked for the government as a THC tester
or was that something else?

Now my company just closed down for a couple of months, they have to find a new premesis, and set up again before I can work there, so it looks like I'm going to have to find a new job.

I can never find a good job, and when I find one I actually like and don't mind going in every day, they fuck you over, it might come good later this year, but I'm not waiting around for 3 months to find out.

Atleast it gives me some time to work on my game fulltime for a little while, maybe I should take a holiday

Layabout

I work at dominos. I make pizzas for a living. And i get paid for only about 75% of the hours i actually work. I'll probably end up doing 14 hours and only get paid for 8. Whoo my life is fun...
I am Jean-Pierre.

Gilbert

I work for a local textbook publisher, making math books for primary school kids, and I never get paid for the extra hours I worked.

However, torturing innocent kids is always my pleasure.  :D

Las Naranjas

Laya-Not surprisingly we work the longest hours in the industrialised world outside South Korea,

And 80% of overtime is unpaid.

Surprising considering we got the 8 hour day 4 decades before most of the world.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Timosity

My boss just rang me up and has some more work for me before we close, but that just delays me having a holiday that I had just started planning.

oh well, it just means I'll have some more money to spend.

Creed Malay

I've done some shitty jobs, yeah, data entry probably being the worst. It honestly hurts to think after a shift spent typing in streams of meaningless numbers...
I've done more than one stint as a janitor, and I've devoloped an deep love of mopping floors. There's a quiet, meditative kind of quality to it that I've never found anywhere else...
A little hint if you ever have to mop floors - make sure you wring out the mop head properly. If it's too wet, you'll just end up sloshing a load of water around a small area, which isn't going to help anyone.

Damp mop is your friend
Greater coverage than wet
Always wring the head
Mobile Meat Machines - Comics of Animals and Education! - http://meatmachines.livejournal.com/

Magintz at school

Yeah, I once done some writiing for an old man. He was too old to write, and too blind to read, so he told me stuff to write.

It was a page letter for one of my grandparents friends, it took 6 hours.

Every word he said, he explained th history behind it's exsistance, or what it used to be called, and saying how good we kids have got it...... then rabbiting on about the war...... i got £15 :P and a free lunch......

I don;t think i'll ever eat in anyone's house who is over 50 *barf*

Robert Eric

I'm a Network Administrator.  My brain seems to be the largest there though.
Ã, Ã, 

Dave Gilbert

I hear ya M0ds.  I work in an office as a production coordinator for a denim manufacturer that makes jeans for brands like Polo, Jordache and Mudd.  I handle the Mudd account - basically acting as a "liaison" between the factories in china and the Mudd office in the US.  It's a lot more complicated than I ever imagined, and more stressful than it should be.  If a shipment goes out late and 20,000 pairs of jeans don't get that cool zipper pull on time, I'm the guy everyone complains to.  Sometimes I have to put this in perspective and remind myself that the world won't end if this happens.  My job is challenging and I like the people there, but for once I'd like to do something important.

Although think of it this way.  If we had jobs that satisfied us artistically, would we have turned to AGS to fill that void?

c.leksutin

Quote from: m0ds on Tue 29/04/2003 00:45:37
Raking mud, eeek. LoL, think thats bad?

The other day I shovelled manure into wheel-barrows all day long.

m0ds

I live on a farm, I grew up shovelling manure,  I feel your pain.  I had to rake mud for a month because it rained for the entire month of june that year.  We actually got more rain that month then the whole previous year and I got to be out side in to every day.

C.

jannar85

I'm working as a student on a school...
* jannar85 hate
Looking farward to Mittens 2004 though ;)
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

DodgeR

heh ive done some v crappy jobs, furniture removal + decorating.

at the moment im doing data entry work, one of the girls who sits next to me enthusiatically asked me what i though of the job.  My reply was 'Its Shite'.  Which was maybe a bit harsh as i think she doesnt actually mind it

I have had more jobs than i have had hot dinners in the last few years, and now i have been roped into writing and illustrating kids books by my brother in law.  I actually went and did some research at the library on my lunch break the other day and got a lot of funny looks from people as i stood there reading a variety of kids books.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: DodgeR on Tue 29/04/2003 19:48:50
got a lot of funny looks from people as i stood there reading a variety of kids books.

Ha.  That's nothing.  Imagine sitting at a bookstore table  leafing through magazines like Seventeen and Tiger Beat and trying to retain your self-respect.  Since I'm in the junior gals apparal industry, I had to research what's going on with the kids today.

c.leksutin

Pumaman

I was a dish washer in a restaurant for two days. Worst job ever.

Hehe, I was a dish washer for about 6 months and I actually quite enjoyed it. I still to this day can't work out why I did ... must have been some secret desire in me to clean dishes.

Quote from: DaveGilbert on Tue 29/04/2003 19:58:48
Ha.  That's nothing.  Imagine sitting at a bookstore table  leafing through magazines like Seventeen and Tiger Beat and trying to retain your self-respect.  Since I'm in the junior gals apparal industry, I had to research what's going on with the kids today.

I can only echo courtland with my deepest condolences.

Evil

Quote from: DaveGilbert on Tue 29/04/2003 19:58:48Since I'm in the junior gals apparal industry, I had to research what's going on with the kids today.
Thats why Dave is here :)...

Squinky

I actaully had a short term job where I got to dress up in an ape suit to sell luggage....

thats been my favorite so far....

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Quote from: Yahtzee on Tue 29/04/2003 01:01:49
I referee at a paintball place, get shot always. I created a secret electrical plug in, so I always bring my computer out there and slack off. I'm typing this message from there right now.
Oh please, not another fake Yahtzee...
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Erwin_Br

I'm a system administrator at a college. I also work for their Public Relations department by designing things for our intranet and our website.

--Erwin

Eero

Quote from: jannar85 on Tue 29/04/2003 19:18:56
I'm working as a student on a school...
* Eero Ränik is suffering because of school too and he hates it...

|Alky|

My favourite job (and pretty much only job so far, since I'm still in school) has been at a local cable TV studio. I was in charge of doing some of the editing, both for live and taped shows, and doing lighting and sound occasionally..

The most demeaning one was at the same place...I had to press the record button on the vcr, and sit their watching as it taped some terrible show, like a lack-of-talent show for retarded 10 year old wannabe rappers. I had to check that some recording dial kept out of the red. I watched the damn thing for two hours, and it only happened like once.
Alex 'Alkaline' Cline

We're going back to the tick tock to get the boo-boo. Send for backup. - Baby's Day Out

LL Notorious B.I.G. Will C-H

at the moment i am working as a dinner "lady" at the catholic girls school round the corner from me. i actually really like it. today two of the girls recognised me from my old band i used to play in locally and bigged me up and i felt like a big man. result.
worst job ive ever done was hospital porter, which involved a lot of morgue work and a lot of seeing old mens penises by accident when walking round the wards.
Punk Quest 0.5 is now available for your perusal if you so wish http://punkquest.to-j.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk