[Survey] What do you want in a web host?

Started by Scavenger, Fri 02/05/2003 13:22:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Scavenger

'K. I'm helping my dad bring his PC company from the grave. He has a server, ready for customers, but, woe betide, he knows nothing about computers. I was thinking, what do people want in a web host? I, myself, want:
PHP/MySQL (Downloadable from respective site)
Plentyful Space (1000mb? Whee!)
a CGI-BIN (Probably free)
FTP (?)
Subdomains (Yay!)

But what do you want? I've gotta sort this mess out before he abandons the project! And please, keep it real and sensible. I can't give a million mb of space for 1p.

(Oh, and he's charging 50 pounds/ year)

n3tgraph

hey I don't know man - it depends on the customers you want to attract

1000 mb's is a bit overdone if you ask me - you could put the standard on 100 mb's and then let them pay for more space. Remember that a website most of the time is never bigger 1 or 2 mb's. People only use lotsa space for their downloads.

Php/mysql is really usefull and should definitly be an option. A lot of webhosts standard support php but when mysql is involved you have to pay (a little) extra. But php without mysql is like a dog without a bone so if someone wants to use php mysql will come too.

Remember the new developments like XML / .net etc etc. People want these extras too! especially the experimental group.

Don't forget ASP. Not many people love it (like me) but there still are loads which like it :/

Speed is the most important fact. Nobody wants to wait till christmas untill their webpage is finally on the screen

5 standard email adresses
subdomains - extra money
Else you'll give away your monopoly

Succes with your father's company
those were my 2 cents
* N3TGraph airguitars!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk