Design tools for adventure games?

Started by GarageGothic, Sat 10/05/2003 12:08:44

Previous topic - Next topic

GarageGothic

I was wondering if anyone out there can recommend a good flowchart or storyboard program to aid game design.  

My design doc/script for the game is getting huge, and I'm having trouble organizing it. So I'm looking into some way to split up my linear design doc in a way that makes sense. To connect puzzles, characters, objects etc. with locations, but still retain the detailed descriptions (which you can't do with the good old pen and paper technique) and other notes.

Basically what I would like is a program that would allow me to build boxes for each room, link them together and then place characters, objects etc. within them. I considered building the game world in one of those text adventure creators like ADRIFT, but then realized that the compass directions made little sense in a point and click (especially as it uses a map as a central hub).

My current idea is to use Microsoft Frontpage, because it can display a diagram of how each html page is related to the others in the website layout. One page for each room, containing info on the location and any objects/characters there. But it's still not the best solution (you would have to remember which character was where, whenever you had to add anything about that person).

How do you organize your game designs when they get above a certain size?

Jimi

try http://www.downloads.com it has a lot of stuff Just search for it.  ;) I could do with one of these programs too!

[edit]

I found This,, and This

m0ds

I could whip one up if it'd be any help. Tell me what you want it to be able to do and I'll have a go. A special AGS one!!!!11

m0ds

Jimi

Yeah! Cool M0ds! Hey, you could do a special AGS font make/editor too!

jannar85

I use NovelPro 2.0

I have never used a better tool.
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Jimi

I need to get a font tool to make an out line for the CMI font i downloaded..anyone know where to get one?

Scummbuddy

- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Jimi

I'm guessing its SCI studio, but there are so many! Which one do I download for what I want to do??  :-\

jannar85

Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Jimi

I've got that one, but I need to create outlines, and it uses point things that me not kow how to do outlines.

lazy Dragonrose

Rodekill made some sort of game-writing-organizer-thingy.  Quite a few people seemed to like it, but I personally haven't tried it.

Jimi: What do CMI fonts have to do with organizing adventure game writing? ???

mercurycs

A good flowcharting program is "SmartDraw", easy to use and crackable if ya download it. And for story design I would try out "Dramatica Pro" ...crackable also.   :)

Both are top notch programs, give em a try

agsking

QuickPlot
I remeber somone mentioning this on the ags forums, but I can't remember who... Anyway, I downloaded it and it is very useful! Try it!

ThunderStorm

QuoteI remeber somone mentioning this on the ags forums, but I can't remember who...
I guess that was me. Hey, good to see that someone out there uses it. It's a nice little tool, isn't it?

Jimi

I downloaded that yesterday. Good for organisation. I recomend it!

Kosm

MindManager is pretty ok. Atleast it is fast to use.

GarageGothic

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've downloaded some of the programs mentioned, and I'm looking forward to checking them out.

danny*

hey mercurycs,

i got Dramatica pro 4,....looks interesting!!!
Could you please tell me where should i put the s/n?
i canno't find any authorisation window!! ???
Thanks in advance!!!!

mercurycs

Danny,
when you install it it prompts for the serial, perhaps you just got an older evaluation copy. check kazaa for "dramatica pro v4" or just "Dramatica pro" and download it from there. it is an 8 meg download. too big for me to email it to ya. i use yahoo messenger and can send it to ya that way if you catch me online, my sign in name is "Farookcs"  

edit:
you're welcome Danny

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk