player character enables scroll?

Started by miguel, Mon 12/05/2003 00:28:42

Previous topic - Next topic

miguel

is the player character what triggers the room scroll? if it is, then, if I change its view I can have a scrolling room with any sprite I want to use?
thanks
Working on a RON game!!!!!

scotch

What?  it sounds like you are basically asking if you change your players view will it still scroll.. to which the answer is yes.. but that's pretty obvious.

miguel

Scotch: I didn´t explain myself very well then.
what I mean is, IF the main char isn´t on the room, will other character make the room scroll?

and another thing, what may look pretty obvious to you doesnt mean it is for me, I use AGS for the fun of making my stupid little games wich I like and so far I haven´t been incorrect or told anybody if he/she was beeing obvious or not

scotch

How do you get to a room and have the main character in a different one?  I thought the main character was always in the room.

Are you asking then if the screen will follow another character if you change player characters?  Basically the game scrolls so the main character is in the centre unless you've used SetViewport, if you change main characters then the game with follow the new one.

I am still not entirely sure what you're asking but I hope that explains it.

RickJ

QuoteIF the main char isn´t on the room, will other character make the room scroll?
Scotch is right,  the room displayed on the screen is the one where the player character is at.  

Please don't feel like Scotch was picking on you Miguel, because when I read his reply what I understand is that he is trying to  help you but is unsure if he understands the question.  So his comment "but thats pretty obvious..."  means that he doesn't think he answered your question adequately.  :)  
=====

Are you trying to use this for something or are you just curious about it?    

Ishmael

Btw. the player char aint allways in the displayed room... I ones did this: character[EGO].room=3 and the game was in room 1, and when I clicked the walk mode, I got an error saying "can't move character because character is in another room" or somthing...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

miguel

"Please don't feel like Scotch was picking on you Miguel",-  SORRY Scotch, I was on a bad mood and Im really stupid and very slow with AGS.

RickJ: Yes I am using this, the thing is, I normaly have scrolling rooms on my projects but I always have ROGER set to visible. When I tryed to make a scrolling room with a spaceship flying from on side to the other, I set ROGER to be invisible on the editor and did the move character command (for the spaceship) but it didn´t scroll, the spaceship just disapears out of sight.
Maybe the problem is not ROGER visibility but then that´s why I posted in the first place
thanks
and sorry again SCOTCH

EDIT: now I know that only the player character scrolls rooms, I changed ROGER view to a spaceship instead of having a spaceship character. yes it was easy

RickJ

TK: I didn't think of that, but your'e right.  I suppose that's Miguel was doing to dissapear Roger from the screen.  The whole discussion makes more sense now.  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk