looow-res gamestyle test

Started by loominous, Tue 20/05/2003 21:17:54

Previous topic - Next topic

loominous

My first attempt at lowres graphics so be as brutal as you please.

It s inspired by 'futurewars' where the actual backgrounds often took up only a very small portion of the screen giving the feeling of looking inside a dollhouse.

The character was created separately from the background so the colors don t match very well at the moment.

I wanted to give it a sort of vintage feel so no anti-aliasing was done etc.

original size:

~Ingame size: (as viewed in 1152x864)

Any thoughts?

Edit:

Btw, the dimensions are 128x80 (everything but the background cropped out that is)
Looking for a writer

Synthetique

evenwolf

Fantastic, somehow I knew I would enjoy this simply by the title of the thread.  It's interesting how much emotion and atmosphere you can give something with so few lines and details etc. Good luck with this one.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Igor

Very, very good! I think the main strenght of screenshot lies in color choices- very moody and interesting. Also the ornaments on fireplace give the picture very classy look.
The character is great too. I wouldn't agree that his colors doesn't match with background. Quite contrary, they fit very well (ok, he does disappear a bit on a dark background- but it's not really bothersome).

earlwood

My god, that is most beautiful thing I have ever seen...though objects may be hard to find objects if it was a game backround.

Neole

Awrk thats beautiful!! They remind me of an online adventure game. whats the name anyone? Not cos they look similar, but cos of the similar Sherlock Holmes type atmosphere!

Miez

That's extremely tasteful! great BG! - it may be a bit dark, but that really adds to the atmos. Bit of a useless reply, this, as I don't have any criticism ... :)

Ali

That's such a lovely room!

The only thing I'm a little unsure about is the way the light hits the floor. The whole room is lit by gentle diffused light coming from the window, so I think the light cast in the shape of the window on the floor, in spite of being really well drawn, is to strong. It's also at a really sharp angle, like it was from a street lamp.

loominous

Thanks for all the kind comments :) (I don t draw very often so it s very encouraging).

Ali:
QuoteThe whole room is lit by gentle diffused light coming from the window, so I think the light cast in the shape of the window on the floor, in spite of being really well drawn, is to strong. It's also at a really sharp angle, like it was from a street lamp.

You might have a point there. I was very unsure how n if I should draw that shadow. I ve never studied these things and the only, but pretty convincing, reference i had was the room that I m actually typing this in, that s lit up pretty much exactly in the same manner.
The sharp angle is explained by the location of the sun at noon which is the time of the day it s supposed to resemble.

I d be grateful if you could explain how it could be altered for more realism (my untrained eyes are probably deceived in several ways).
Looking for a writer

Proskrito

i think (note that 'i think' is underlined, wait for the art guys to come) he is meaning that shadows casted (sp?) by the sun, should follow a parallel projection so, the outer lines of the shadow of the window should be parallel.
About the bg, amazing. It would be near impossible to make somehing that looked better than that with sooooo low resolution. And it would look also awesome even with 20 colours!! (i tried it :))

AndersM

:D Oooo... Future-wars..  One of my favourite games....  :D

Looks good. Very good. The atmosphere gives the
feeling of an 'who dunnit?' murder mystery.

Great colours and detail, but (there's alway a 'but'):
The 'frame' makes it looks like the you see the room
from inside a tv or something.

I would go for a boring squared frame instead, but keep
those small views when the player is in a small room.

Else it might get the 'Larry 1' feeling where the distance
from floor to celing is 12 times the height of the character....

SLaMgRInDeR

looks great, but its a bit dark and would make for one of those anoyingly hard games because you cant see anything.

Ali

Quote from: loominous on Wed 21/05/2003 16:21:14

the only, but pretty convincing, reference i had was the room that I m actually typing this in, that s lit up pretty much exactly in the same manner.
The sharp angle is explained by the location of the sun at noon which is the time of the day it s supposed to resemble.

I d be grateful if you could explain how it could be altered for more realism (my untrained eyes are probably deceived in several ways).

It's very kind of you to pretend that I could be more right than your eyes! If that's how the room looks, then that's how it looks - don't pay any attention to me, though Proskrito's comment sounds useful.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk