I checked the solution and now I'm depressed!

Started by Harvester, Sun 25/05/2003 20:41:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvester

I am currently playing The Longest Journey. Everything was going well till the seventh damn chapter. There's this stupid puzzle with four damn crystals. I spend almost a week trying to find the way to arrange them and solve the damn puzzle, but no luck. Today I finally got pissed off and I checked the solution. Well, problem solved, but another problem appeared - the guilt. Yeah. Now I feel I'm not gonna enjoy the rest of the game and that I'll simply try to finish it as soon as possible and move to another one. Crap! And that game rules!
Anyway, to make me feel better, I'd like you to tell me about great games that you ruined by not being able to solve yourself. My other examples include Phantasmagoria 2 and Larry 7 (ok, Larry 7 wasn't exactly a GREAT game, but it was interesting enough).
None shall pass!

Paranoid Factor

scotch

There's only a couple of games I havent looked at the solution for..

I don't enjoy being stuck for days just trying everything 3 times, it usually happens at least once.  As long as I only use it when I've been stuck for a very long time I don't find it detracts from the game at all.

Andail

When I played PQ1 there was no internet, so me and my pals played it for three years before beating it...now I would have spent three days on that game...you get spoiled

Privateer Puddin'

well when i first got MI2, i didnt know how to save, so i just started again everytime i went to play it :)

Nightfable

I know how you feel, it happens to me often, I get stuck for weeks on a game, finally decide to look it up in the walkthrough and then I feel bad because the game's over too quickly.

The whole King's Quest series is an example. For some reason hey always find a way to get me really stuck. It's either a riddle or tiny detail I forgot to click on. How frustrating!

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

I got all the way to Ireland in Broken Sword without a walkthrough, got completely stuck, and ended up using a walkthough to complete the rest in a day. How that sucked.

Barcik

I too usually use a walkthough at least once. One of the things I am most proud of is finishing Grim Fandango without a single hint!
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Pumaman

Quote from: Andail on Sun 25/05/2003 21:23:54
When I played PQ1 there was no internet, so me and my pals played it for three years before beating it...now I would have spent three days on that game...you get spoiled

Hehe yeah, that's so true - when I was a kid, we'd spend hours and hours trying to figure out what to do in these games. It took me a fair few months to complete QFG1, and a couple of years to do KQ4... I guess these days it's too easy to just look up solutions on the internet if you get stuck.

remixor

I can't even remeber how long my friend and I spent on FOA back when it first came out, when neither of us had the internet or any sort of hint guides.  It was several months.  One of the most notable puzzles for us was the last time you had to align the three stones on a spindle, before you can go into the last room.  We never figured out where the clue for that one was (since it wasn't in Plato's lost dialogues), so we literally tried every single possible combination until we finally got it right.  That alone took us days.  When we finally won, however, it was cathartic.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Evil

I do that with tomb raider but I guess that isnt a true adventure game... But I have only played like 5 real adventure games and I have only beaten 1... :(

Nightfable

One thing for sure, I'm awful at RPGs or shooters, my brothers play them all the time but I officially never got even close to finish. The only RPG/Adventure game I kinda got into was Fallout and Fallout 2. I love solving the quests and interacting with the game characters.

Oh! I played Syberia and was blown away by the graphics, what a fun adventure game! They should make more games like this one, its too bad.

Timosity

I spent a year completeing Hero's Quest: So you want to be a hero
maybe 2 years (with many long breaks) but yeah, when I played most of the old games, There was no internet and therefore you had to buy a hint book or ring a hint line, which I never did cause I had no money back then.

Back then a lot of people at school were playing those games so you could get hints from friends that were ahead in the game.

I remember in about 1991 one of my friends had one of those modems you put the phone handset onto and you could hook up to a bbs, and I remember it had walkthru's on it, but it didn't have any I needed.

I prefer using something like UHS where if you get stuck you can find a subtle hint, and if you're still stuck you can get a better hint, until you give up and then you can get the solution. as long as you don't use it as a walkthru it works fine.

auhsor

I did the same thing in that puzzle in TLJ. I used UHS whis is better for the concience. I always end up going through each hint anyways, but it is better than a walkthrough. I reamember using UHS for MI4, and you had to register UHS to get the full thing, so i just finished the game without it...

Ghormak

Quote from: Andail on Sun 25/05/2003 21:23:54

Quite so. Did I ever mention that I guessed random 555-xxxx numbers at the hotel where you're supposed to call for a cab? I didn't know there's 411 back then.

Ahh, the memories.
Achtung Franz! The comic

Mennuz

I completed discworld 2 without a hint :).. It rocks my c...socks :D

Pumaman

Quote from: Ghormak on Mon 26/05/2003 06:57:48
Quite so. Did I ever mention that I guessed random 555-xxxx numbers at the hotel where you're supposed to call for a cab? I didn't know there's 411 back then.

Ahh, the memories.

Hehe, I remember in PQ2 I was stuck for ages where you had to phone the operator, because I kept trying 100 (the number in this country) and it wasn't working. It wasn't until several months later I found out that it was 0 in the US ;)

Eero

When I was younger then I didnt play any adventures without walkthrus... Now I just don't need them anymore. Oh how I wish I'd lose my memory and could play them all again... :D

Rincewind

So true, so true. I feel horribly guilty when I think of all the times I've cheated in an adventure game... The only one that I passed without one single peek was actually DOTT - Believe it or not.

I did try to get through GK3 without any help, but in the end I just sat there, anxious to get to the climax, and tired of all god damn "do-a-wrong-move-and-get-chopped-in-half"-puzzles...

Discworld 2 was basically finished with a walkthrough from start to finish - But then it was my very first adventure game... The story and the great jokes was probably the thing that kept me going... ;D

I never feel guilty, and you haven't done anything wrong! if you guys hadn't gotten past that evil puzzle, you'd hate your games even more!
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

Pesty

I remember my family getting stuck for days in KQ5, where you need to get out of the forest. We eventually called the hintline. It took us such a long time to get through the rest of the game. Before the Internet, adventure games were so much more challenging. One day I should get back to basics and unhook my network cable so even if I'm tempted to cheat, I won't.

Being stuck for ages in a game is better than finishing it in an hour, in my opinion.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk