The Mars Volta

Started by Sylpher, Thu 10/07/2003 01:40:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylpher

I am not one to try to force my opinions, music or otherwise, down anyones throat but I do try to bring light to things I feel diserving. I am sorry if posts like these annoy you feel free to hit the back button and never view this thread again..

That said. I am not sure how many or if any of you have heard of The Mars Volta. I originally intended to post this for Leks and DS but all are welcome. There recently released CD is easily my pick for the best CD this year (And it is only half way over) It is the most amazing, creative, original, and boundry pushing album to make it's way to light this year and in a very long time.

Yes even above Radioheads brilliant Album. Anyone who has heard please join in my shallow try at a discussion about them. If you don't give them a listen you are only hurting yourself..I mean it.

Darth Mandarb

This is hilarious ... I saw this CD yesterday and was like, "Who is this?  I wonder if it's any good?"  And now you make this post!  Guess I'll go buy the CD now.

I'll let you know what I think!

dm

Sylpher

There is the EP which is only 3 songs and the Full Cd ('De-Loused in the Comatorium') Which came out a week or Two ago. The EP is great but might as well get the cd...

Trapezoid

I checked out the samples on Amazon.com... It sounded good, although I can't remember how any of it went now a minute later. Well, maybe I'll get an mp3 or two.
Personally, my favorite CDs are "California" by Mr. Bungle and "Point" by Cornelius. Look them up if you will.

undergroundling

I remember reading something about this CD being not as good as their previous releases, but I was thinking about checking it out anyways.  I know their "sound manipulator" guy died this year, and I guess that was a catalyst for some change in their music, but not having heard the album yet, this is only conjecture.

In case anyone cares, I'm currently listening to Mercury Rev's "All is Dream."  It's a fantastically gorgeous album.

- Bryan

plasticman

i missed them recently... they were playing at a local festival, but i didn't feel like paying the equivalent of 5 good shows, just to see them play 30 minutes in a crappy place. that's not my definition of a good show.

i know they're touring around here again in a few months, so i'll get to see them in a good venue, probably with a good support band too.

i had never been a big fan of atdi, but i find mars volta to be very interesting. i thought they were fairly mediatic in the us, i guess i'm wrong.

Fruity

I saw them live a few months ago,
they're real good live.
I hadn't heard any of their songs yet so I was absolutely blasted away by this creative gang of rock & roll rebels.
it was quite an experience  :)

Sylpher

Trap, Mr. Bungle is great! Get some Mp3's if you will but even at the threat to sounding like a pushy sales men. The CD is really much better. Every mp3 I have found even if nice quality does not give you the full and broad sounds they have to offer..

Under, Sort of strange this being there first CD. Unless they are comparing it to At the drive-in or Sparta...Which is unfair and very wrong in my book.

Plastic, Although I enjoyed ATDI I do like the direction Mars Volta is going in much more. Especially above Sparta...Nothing against them but they just seem to be traveling down the well known well beaten path too many bands and artist have traveled before them.

Fruity, Lucky Dog..If they make there way around here I will see them. If they make there way around here with RHCP I will see them with a party hat on.

FruitTree

you should,
I saw them as special guests on th RHCP tour, man that was some show they gave!  ;D

Visti

Hey! The Mars Volta is really cool. I got introduced to the CD a few days ago and I really love it. And it doesn't make it any worse that it's the flea-man himself handling the bass on the record. I only briefly listened to At The Drive-in, but it didn't really catch on the same way Mars Volta did. Great stuff.

Al_Ninio

I'm a big fan of ATDI and was really disappointed by Sparta, which in my opinion only had one good song...
Mars Volta is better though, but the CD is far from available in my area...
:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk