Constructive things to do in case of depression?

Started by D · Y · D · O, Sat 02/08/2003 01:50:55

Previous topic - Next topic

D · Y · D · O

Often I simply lurk around the gen-gen forum, I hardly participate in any of the discussions. I've noticed people use it to deal with problems they're going through.
It's a wonderful medium for that, I guess. It grants you a degree of anonimity, yet can be a source for great compassion and understanding. There are some fine people here.

I'd hate to add to the ranks of the slightly more depressive threads of this forum, but I'm still gonna.
I've not really felt good for the last nine months. I won't go in to the source of my problems, suffice it to say it's the L-word. [Don't pass on the opportunity to make a witty remark to this.]

Rather, I'd ask you for some constructive thoughts. I've picked up some bad habits in these months, attempts in vain for diversion and clearing my mind. One positive habit has been to buy and download insane (at least for me) amounts of music. Music helps get my mind off of things and more than often, the lyrics can be a source of wisdom. Still, my thoughts wander back, I get depressed and on nights like this, I can't get much sleep.

Back on track, what I'm asking are things along the line of me downloading music. What do you do when you get depressed? What helps you through tough times in life?

I sense the possibility for an ultimately very positive thread, so don't be shy. ;)
We are number one! All others are number two, or lower. - The Sphinx
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever. - Shane Falco
Instagame (FREE resources for your games!)

Robert Eric

Get a hobby, get out of the house, meet someone, get a girlfriend, work more, drive around, do stuff...
Ã, Ã, 

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Get off the damn internet! No, seriously, I've noticed a direct link between feeling angsty and hanging around online for large amounts of time. Do something... get a job, go sit in the park, it doesn't matter. And while you're at it try to meet some people too, it's something I've never been able to do with much success.

D · Y · D · O

I'm playing Rode Quest 2 right now, that's pretty cool.
But seriously, I went on vacation, in the past week I had a BBQ with some friends, went to a night club with other friends, went to bars, went to the beach, went to the movies, tried some AGS games, worked on my own game some, visited an old friend in his new house.
(Lots of fun, still depressed. It happens.)

I spend time on the Internet, I admit, but I'm not an addict.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm not looking for direct advice i.e. you telling me what I should do.
I was wondering what all you guys do in similar situations.
We are number one! All others are number two, or lower. - The Sphinx
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever. - Shane Falco
Instagame (FREE resources for your games!)

evenwolf

Go read somewhere in public.

Write comedy and perform onstage somewhere. That will get your mind off anything, haha, but only stress you out even more.

Join a club or a meeting group somewhere. Go to a bingo hall. Meet anyone even if its old people, plus they might  have some hot grand daughters.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

earlwood

Live life to the fullest! Join the Air Force!  Party out loud!...Really desperate? Join a support group,run for president,and maybe get a hobby (collect stamps,learn guitar,lear a foriegn language,or you can put on some old rags,cry while lying on the ground,but secretly laugh while people crowd around you and drop money next to ya...

Just maybe..

MillsJROSS

The L-word, huh? I lost my llama to the desert last year.

I don't necessarily think the internet corollates to depression. I'm on the computer and internet a lot, and I'm one of the least depressable guys I know.

But on moments I have gotten a little depressed, I just started doing things to keep my mind of it. Just keep yourself busy until you forget that your depressed. Or, just look at life as one big joke (without a punchline), and laugh at the good and the bad. That's what I do. Something bad happens to me, I laugh my troubles away. I know it seems strange, but why not laugh? It's a form of relief. Same with crying. Sometimes it's good to have a good cry (no matter how unmanly it is).

-MillsJROSS

auhsor

Praying always helps. Talking to a good friend is also helps get things off your chest.

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Write happy music! If you listen to it, it makes you feel happy!  ;D :D
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

CheapAlert

Take anti-depressant prescription drugs.

Well, that's my cheapo way. Don't do drugs.
I AM THE STAR TREK ADVENTURE MAKER.

rookworm3

When I get depressed, I spend hours upon hours of sitting silently and motionless, without thinking or feeling anything. I also sleep alot. It is best to do something interesting or engaging, like reading, music (my favourite), making games, etc. Also, it helps if you have to do these things, so one doesn't just say "forget it"--- things like jobs, school, friends, etc.

Anyway, don't let leprosy get you down, it's great for grossing out the girls!

Jayel_

I agree with CheapAlert.  If you're suffering from prolonged depression with seemingly no reason whatsoever, you're most likely be suffering from clinical depression caused by chemical imbalance in your brain.
You can't simply brush it off with jolly attitute, so go seek help now.

Jayel_

oh wait, you already know why you're depressed.  nevermind my previous post.  ha ha ha.

Barcik

I am going through a similar period at the moment, and I found out that Helm's old words of wisdom are correct - there is happiness in creation, in doing something productive.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Jimi

I'v eben depressed the last month, but I got out of the depression, by thinking to myself; "why am I depressed?" "What will moping around achieve?" and eventually I managed to get rid of the depression. try it.

Timosity

Constuctive things are hard to achieve, or be in the state to achieve when you're depressed.

I've been there, my worst case wasn't helped by the following:

my friend (Tim Webster from sports tonight's Son, for you Aussies) best friend committed suicide, a week later his girlfriend committed suicide (copycat situation) she was a good friend of mine too [I spoke to her on the day {with no idea what was about to happen}], then less than a week later my best girlfriends dad died in a house fire, these things seem to happen in 3's.

This was all during my finals in my first year of uni, and to make things worse, my former best friend stole my girlfriend {that I lived with}, (both of them behind my back, and I knew what was happening, as if you can't see that happening, especially your two closest friends [both the cunts])

This was back in 1995, I've got over the relationship stuff (and had others since then) but find it hard to commit to any relationship these days.

During that period I smoked a lot of marijuana, and continued to for the next 5 years, which made my depression much worse.

Eventually I started taking prescribed antidepressants, as much as they made me less depressed, the side effects and addiction was worse than any experience I've had, including what I've mentioned.

Coming off the antidepressants was the toughest thing I've ever been through, but made the otherside more bareable, I lost another girlfriend coming off the pills, but I didn't even care, for 3 months I did absolutely nothing, and I can't really even remember it, it was a strange period of time, but made me stronger mentally.

I can't say I know a solution to getting well, but Time heals all wounds, that is the only thing that is certain, as long as you have things to occupy your time meanwhile, you will be right.

I'm nearly back to scratch and it has only taken 7-8 years, they say every 7 years your life changes completely, lucky I'm nearly 28, hopefully this is the good patch.

I've shared my bad patch, everyone has had bad experiences, but life finds it's own way back on track (without you even realising [depression is addictive, and if you start to come out of it, you find yourself looking for excuses to go back to it] don't fall into that trap)

I'm pretty happy these days, and AGS has added to that, Thanks CJ, I just know the next 7 years will be the foundation of my life to come.

Jimi

You have been through alot!

CJ aught to get the nobel peace prize.

Snake

Play guitar. A LOT of it. That's what I do, although it comes out in my music, I've got only a couple uplifting sounding songs, but the rest you can tell are from my heart, what I'm feeling.

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Harvester

Read Bible and go see a movie with friends. Even better, write a sad story and use it to make a game.
None shall pass!

Paranoid Factor

Paranoia

i've suffered from depression for 10 yrs, but i'm probably the worse person to give advice 'cause i'm failing to get beyond it... but i can say..
don't take drugs legal or otherwise (they only hide the problem and you could end up on them for life)
don't lose touch with your friends (you may need them)
don't drink (it could put you on a downer)
i'm sorry but PC's dont help, it becames an addiction, 75% of ppl i know's marriages are in deep shit and puters are a big part of the problem(including me)
talk to people, help can come from the oddest places
music helps a lot very good for moods
just get out and live

i can say that because a lot of i didn't do and now its a lot harder to get beyond the depression

rather than start a new thread i'll say it here...
i'm taking a break from the pc and trying to make a life, and rebuild some of the damage, tc everyone, its been fun, happy AGS'ing ;D

Paranoia

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk