Anybody wanna try fix my Scanner?

Started by Meowster, Sat 13/09/2003 20:38:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Meowster

Yeah... see, I didn't know where to post this, so it might as well go here. I'm too lazy to find a REAL technical forum for scanners. So anyway, I figured you guys might be able to work this out.

I got my UMAX Astraslim SE scanner, like, four months ago. It worked great. It has no power lead; it gets it from the USB port. Anyway, here's the thing: now it's STOPPED WORKING.

I haven't used it for about four weeks since we moved house. It's definately the right lead, and the green power light is on. It detects the new hardware when you plug it in. It SHOULD be fine... except when you try to scan, it gives an error:

"TWAIN Error!"
"Failed to open the TWAIN driver."

I reinstalled the driver and restarted, and it still gives the error. I don't think I changed any settings since I last used it or anything. It's so incredibly frustrating. So, um, anybody got any bright ideas?... And m0ds, SHUT UP!!!![/b]

EDIT: Guess I should mention I'm on XP.

EDIT 2: I reinstalled the driver... or did I??? Maybe I only reinstalled... the SOFTWARE!!! Huh. Where do I put these retarded files? What's wrong with me? Somebody do this for me. Or did I? I don't know. What? Why isn't there a help file for this?

EDIT 3: Oh, yeah, GREAT answers in the troubleshooter, UMAX! This is the question that everybody wants to know the answer to: Can’t find a power switch! THERE ISN'T ONE, YOU ASS.

EDIT 4: M0ddddddssssssssssss :(

EDIT 5: Oh... wait... it's working... really really SLOWLY... if I do it manually from the control panel. It won't work if I use the Scan Panel Software.

EDIT 6: Okay, so it's like, something to do with the software. I broke the software! Not the scanner! m0ds, I did not break my scanner!!!!! Ha ha ha! I did break the essential software though, and now I need to know how to fix that, instead.

EDIT 7: This happened to the other three printers, before I broke them in various grisly ways. Is this a bad omen? I think I'll sleep with the scanner under my pillow tonight, just in case.

EDIT 8: Rock a bye baby, on the tree top... when the wind blows the cradle will...OH MY GOD!!! MY BABY! MY SCANNER! IT OVERHEATED UNDER THE PILLOW! WHAT HAVE I DONE!??!

EDIT 9: I think I'll start doing something worthwhile with my time. But yeah, the scanner software. Not working.

Paranoia

have you tryed using a different usb port? we had one just go down for no reason, have you reset the BIOS for any reason?, there is a scanner/printer setting there,  will the scanner work from PSP or something like that?

LordHart

Woah... Yufster got a bit crazy there at the end...

Anyway, if it's the software that you are having a problem with, you could try reinstalling that. If it doesn't work after reinstalling it, try sending a message to the company that makes the product and tell them your problem... but not in a crazy way like above. :)

If they won't help, try a search on google in the groups and use a few keywords like "scanning" "software" and "not working", as well as the softwares name. You may be able to find some help from going through the countless questions people may have already had, concerning the problem you get.

If that doesn't work... um, sell the printer to some really idiotic person who wants one that lives near you and then save to get a new one.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk