It's official, California is moron-central

Started by TheYak, Thu 27/11/2003 03:52:25

Previous topic - Next topic

TheYak

Link explains it all:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.reut/index.html

For those too lazy to click: Apparently someone saw some bit of hardware and griped about how discriminatory and racist the Master/Slave designation was.  So, LA county is strongly encouraging hardware manufacturers to change Master/Slave designations.  As to what they'll change it TO?  Your guess is as good as mine.  As someone else said, they could do Primary/Secondary but that would be offensive to school-age kids.  ;)  They could try Host and Parasite but we might offend leeches.  

So, it's official.  CA elected Arnold and now this issue.  It's time to get the hell outta here before the idiots completely take over - we already were above our moron-quota.  Something must've happened to tip the scales.

Domino

you could always move to New York, but wait, we have Hillary Rodham Clinton as a senator. She's not even from New York!! It just shows how our country is going downhill.

BG is building a rocket ship to rocket off to an unknown planet.

shawn  :)

Darth Mandarb

Sooo ... now people are bitching about Master/Slave huh?  I guess it was just a matter of time.

You know, there's male/female ends of plugs.  Why don't we bitch about that too!

The conclusion I've come to is that people will complain about anything.

"You mean I gotta drink this coffee hot?"

Squinky

Here in idaho, we've got a bunch of hills and mountains with names like "Sqauw butte" which I guess is offensive to native americans....

So of course they were changed to something that will probably be offensive to someone else pretty soon...

TheYak

Yeah, I heard some bit of news awhile ago about the Gran Tetons being an offensive name.  I don't recall if they'd decided upon a new official name or not.

DGMacphee

But what if hardware really does have that kind of relationship?
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

shbaz

Grand Tetons roughly means big titties in French.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Darth Mandarb

QuoteBut what if hardware really does have that kind of relationship?
Good point!  I think we should wait until the hardware complains about the relationship before we change it!

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Eeeyikes. Hello, change people instead of changing words and maybe you'll actually do some good. >:(

I think these people really need to get into BDSM. I mean, what is so offensive about a master-slave relationship. Maybe the BDSM community needs to get offended by the fact that they find master-slave offensive.  ::)

Now then, where did I leave my whip....

Oh and Darth, male and female plugs have analogy to human anatomy. The male plug is the one that gets inserted into the female. Of course...could be offensive to someone out there...

Timosity

People are so silly and political correctness has gone way too far, although I was listening to the radio thismorning, an heard something about 'reverse racism',  

It's the most rediculous term as it is descriminating, It should just be termed 'Racism' since it's the same thing from whichever race to another.

These contradictary terms just prove how intolerant the world still is (especially when trying so hard not to be), I don't think it's changed in general in thousands of years, and in some cases it's probably much worse (although it seems to be more about money now, not so much your physical inheritance of genetically enhanced dna [although in some cases that helps you get more financially equiped]). I know most people here are pretty tolerant, but what it comes down to, is it's all California's fault.

Note: It's not really California's fault, but it will be funny when it falls into the Pacific Ocean.

TheYak

A comment by another user yielded the following quote from Windows magazine about P.C. PCs:
The P.C. PC
1) Female and male connectors are replaced by non-gender-specific connectors

2) The turbo/slow button is replaced by the turbo/mhz-challenged button.

3) Screen color shall be fixed to include white, black, brown, yellow and red in accordance with the 1990 U.S. Census racial distributions.

4) Software bugs are now features. Fatal software bugs are now special features. A system crash is now an upgrade opportunity.

5) Floppy disk drives are replaced by relaxed disk drives. Hard disk drives are replaced by tumescent disk drives.

6) Each drive's FAT (File Allocation Table) is replaced by its HEFTY (How Each File Takes Yards).

7) BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is replaced by the BMCES (Basic Mutually Consenting Exchange System.)

8 ) Each dialog box must simultaneously display English, Spanish, Creole, French, German, Japanese, Hindustani, Arabic, Swahili and Texan.

9) The on/off switch must be childproof and capable of being used by those with arthritis.

remixor

I can almost guarantee that I'll be the only person here who feels this way, but I do think the master/slave designation should be changed.  Terms like client/server or primary/secondary is more accurate, and don't come with excess baggage.   The difference between things like "male/female" and "primary/secondary" and "master/slave" is that only the third of those carries an inherent negative connotation.  I could explain my point in a lot more detail, but I don't think there'll be much of a point considering I'm already fairly sure everyone has their mind made up already, but I figured I might as well throw my opinion out there.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Timosity

They could just change slave to apprentice, and intead of male/female, strapon/female

n00bie

Uncle Tom would be rolling in his grave.
Two hundred and seventy four characters remain

TheYak

Remix.. I do see your point but really, we're talking about hardware here.  We're talking about terms that were coined (when used with hardware) before civil rights had become commonplace.  There is no negative connotation, at least no more than primary/secondary.  What? One was first and therefore better than the Second?  Not trying to start a flame-war here but primary/secondary or client/server or even host/client do not accurately describe the relationship between IDE devices in that chain.  Master / Slave does.      

Another thought though..  Perhaps Parent/Child might be workable.. or Guardian/dependant.  Only half joking here.. at least the terms would describe the workings without causing too much offense.  :P

Esseb

Just wanted to point out I never thought about Master/Slave's reference to slavery before I read about this. They're just words which fit in the context of harddisks as well.

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Quote from: remixor on Thu 27/11/2003 11:35:29
I can almost guarantee that I'll be the only person here who feels this way, but I do think the master/slave designation should be changed.  Terms like client/server or primary/secondary is more accurate, and don't come with excess baggage.   The difference between things like "male/female" and "primary/secondary" and "master/slave" is that only the third of those carries an inherent negative connotation.  I could explain my point in a lot more detail, but I don't think there'll be much of a point considering I'm already fairly sure everyone has their mind made up already, but I figured I might as well throw my opinion out there.

I don't know...does the hardware mind? And I hate this tendency to 'cleanse' vocabularies so that we can pretend history didn't happen or something. Let's just not use this word and the past will go away and we can all be happy happy again in our state of ignorant bliss. God forbid 50 years from now some kid asks his father 'Daddy, what's a slave?'  ::) We'd just rather not think about it, which somehow is supposed to magically erase everything.  That seems to be the motivation for these kind of 'renamings', which do nothing to simplify an already ever-changing-at-the-speed-of-light world.

I'm still unclear, who exactly is it offending, aside from that over-politically-correct moron in the article?  ???

Darth Mandarb

You know ... this is unpopular when I say it (perhaps because of the color of my skin) but I'm so sick of the bitching about slavery in America.  For the love of God it was over 200 years ago!  Get the hell over it!!!

This is yet another black/white issue rearing it's ugly head further perpetuating racism in America.  Now the issue has finally made it's way to something as trivial and completely unrelated as computer hardware.  I guess it was just a matter of time.

I'll tell you the problem ... ignorance.

In South Florida there was this woman, Oliphant, who was the supervisor of elections for Broward Country.  She was a complete incompetant bitch!  She fucked everything up but for some reason they just wouldn't get rid of her.  (she's the reason Bush is the president basically).  Then, when they FINALLY did oust the incomp, her sister immediately started bitching that it was because she was black.

From now on, whenever something is denied me (or taken from me) I'm going to start screaming that it's because I'm white.  Hey, it works for all other colors in America!  The fact that, as a white person, I can't do that means that's discrimination against white folk!!!

It's one of the things I like about visiting these forums.  Sure we have ideological head-bumping from time to time but I can't really think of anytime it's degenerated into racial bullshit.  I'm not even sure of what color most here are (and it doesn't matter to me!)

QuoteI don't know...does the hardware mind?
Earilier I said, "I think we should wait until the hardware complains about the relationship before we change it!"  I'm glad we agree :)

QuoteAnd I hate this tendency to 'cleanse' vocabularies so that we can pretend history didn't happen or something.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

]).]v[.

Barcik

I think you are being too harsh. All places have that siliness.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Darth Mandarb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk