Dialog picture position

Started by Radiant, Mon 24/10/2005 17:22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Hi there!

I seem to recall the possibility in AGS to specify X and Y positions for the portrait that pops up in Sierra-style speech. But I can't seem to find it in the manual. Does this trick exist? Or maybe it was just a feature request?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

SetGameOption(option, int value) with one of these settings should do what you want:

// OPT_PORTRAITPOSITION  Speech portrait side (0=left, 1=right, 2=alternate, 3=xpos) 

Pumaman

I don't believe that there is any such setting, although it is something that should probably be added.

Radiant

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 24/10/2005 19:50:07
I don't believe that there is any such setting, although it is something that should probably be added.

If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate being able to set X and Y position for the portrait and for the accompanying text box (a possible effect would then be to show the portrait in the center and the text underneath, for instance).

Shade

i have another thing. i wanted to use the sierra-style speech in my game but found out that it is not really customizable. e.g. the x and y positions of portrait and text or different expressions, etc...
i made a similar speech style with a little trick and were much more flexible.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=22666.0
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=23011.0

i think the possibility to have different face expressions should be added to the sierra-style speech.

~}Shade{~

Radiant

Quote from: ~}Shade{~ on Tue 25/10/2005 14:59:32
i think the possibility to have different face expressions should be added to the sierra-style speech.

That's easy, just use "run-script <var>" and in the dialog_request function, do a SetCharacterSpeechView (EGO, var);

strazer

Or just use the "set-speech-view" dialog script command.

Ashen

The problem with that is (as mentioned in the threads ~}Shade{~ linked) you have to create a seperate view for each expression. The ability to use different loops with Sierra-stlye speech would be a nice addition if it's not already on the tracker.

EDIT: Ah, I thought it was, just couldn't find it. Thanks strazer.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Could this suggestion be altered to allow you to set the speech loop outside of dialogs as well? That's far more useful imo than just in a dialog itself (for scripted cutscenes and spoken descriptions).  Maybe just adding a new variable to characters called loop that overrides internal handling for speech loops?  Obviously this would be more difficult to work with in lucasarts mode but it could be done (not sure how difficult it would be to implement an isspeaking function, but with it you could easily switch loops based on character face direction and whatever other factors you desire).

Janik

I agree - odds are that to implement speech loops, a new variable would need to be added to the character struct anyway, presumably "cCharacter.SpeechLoop" to go with cCharacter.SpeechView.
Play pen and paper D&D? Then try DM Genie - software for Dungeons and Dragons!

Radiant

Well, it would be nice to make my characters' speechloop #4 in the same loop as their walking animation. Saves requiring three views for each character and cluttering up the viewlist.

(and same request for blinkloop, of course)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk