WE won the eurovision!!! WE! FINLAND!

Started by Tuomas, Sat 20/05/2006 22:56:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Ishmael

Me too because everyone else...

I personally haven't liked Lordi's music in the past, and I still don't. The older stuff is just... not my cup of tea. However, the ESC entry song is rather good in my opinion. Although it indeed is not musically that special it just strikes me as a good song.

Quote from: Petteri on Sun 21/05/2006 10:07:29
Does this mean that next year the contest is full of rock/hard rock/metal songs?

I said on another forum earlier today that next year the competition will be full of wannabe rock and metal bands, so we'll need to top them inside the genre. Something like Deathchain ought to do it. :=
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

KristjanMan

Yay Finland won!
I voted for Finland!
But it's a shame Estonia didn't got to the final this year :'((I'm from Estonia thats why I am so sad)

BTW When I saw Croatia's song i lol-ed for 5 minutes
- They are all from AGS coloringball

Timosity

It's funny, I don't really care too much about eurovision, but it was about 1 of 3 acts I saw, and I pissed my self laughing thinking, as if they will win with all those blonde bimbos against them, but they did win.

Quite funny, It was more enjoyable and memorable, than the others I saw, well done to them

Ali

My opinion of Europe as a whole was raised significantly last night. The UK entry was awful though: cockneys dressed as schoolgirls. Ugh...

Also the line: "The teachers ask you, 'what did you learn in school today?'". Makes no sense. The teachers were probably there. Teaching.

Nacho

It's been the most visible evidence of how shabby and decadent Europe is. Disguise some clows as orcs, make a wannabe hard rock song, and all the sheeps will hypocrytally vote you with the thought "If I vote this, people will think that I am cool and transgressive".

Ashaming. I'd like to be Aussie.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

jetxl

Tuomas

Reminds me of my first date... j/k of course, I never had one.

Anyway. I've never given Lordi much attention. They had this hit one year, Would you love a monsterman... A Kiss -redo, I'd say. Still, I'm currently watching the rerun of the show, and I can't help feeling proud of being a Finn. I don't think the meaning of the contest has ever been about music, rather than to raise the nationalist feeling, nd right now, I feel really Finnish.

What makes me laugh though, is that I can easily say that at least 75% liked Lordi in Finland, yet all the peoploe that took it to a public level were so angry and embarrassed. I recall this woman saying in a newspaper, that it has always been a shame to lose, but this is much more humiliating. Such a silly act could never even reach the finals. Though she was so wrong. Until now all the contestants have been ones that try to sound good for old ladies, well, we had one, and that was second. He would never have won. Then I think lots of people voted for Lordi because they were fun, they had balls, they were kickin the ESC in the face, and they liked the music.

I'd say the reason we have lost is because the ones who vote are those old ladies that don't know better. This one said even that we should have sent some old singer that had been say 10th or so, which was the best we had, that would be less humiliating. It's not supposed to be a big deal if we lose, it's just a silly contest, but bloody hell it feels good to win.

Yet, even though Lordi have those dresses, I take them as music, not some fools that just play some act, and I believe most of the voters did too. And Frlander, I don't think anyone believed it'd make them cool if they voted. voting in ESC is generally considered lame...

Helm

In the interest of preserving the honor of METAL, here is some awesome actual heavy metal (some would say some of the best ever recorded and I would not disagree for one) for those that for some reason considered Lordi to be in any way indicative of the strengths of this type of music.

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian - 02 Valley of the Dolls

Lyrics below are topical for those willing to get the symbolism.

QuoteValley of the Dolls

Bedroom mirrors do tell who's the fairest of them all
Lime light silhouette, transparent walls
Dancing shadows cascade paper dolls
Wailing ghost guitars send in the clowns
Send in the clowns

Painted plastic faces stealing mommies make up
Masque the false gods with mannequin smiles
Prima donnas play upon their pedestals of fame
Unborn girls, the false facade, illegitimate child
I won't play your game
Illegitimate child
Searching for a name

Blasphemous black Bible bias you betray bigotry
Slay the hydra pretty fair maidens spread their leprosy
Hungry children feed from hype of perpetual ego's
I slay the hydra, burn the talisman, holocaust

Run with the pack, illegitimate child
The unborn wench at war
Tears in his eyes, she became a bride
Wedlock to a whore.
Shatter the dream, the tangerine dream
Bow to kings, not the queens
Go back where you reign, to your domain
The Valley of the Dolls!

Bow to Kings of yesterday
They have given you wings to fly away
What have the phantom queens but deceived you
Armies of shadows climbing
Silvery mountains, lining molten and ask

Camouflage the battle scars with Oxy10 and Maybelline
Cloning the heros in hype magazine
Pirates of underground, lightning the speed of sound
You will prevail

And bedroom mirrors do tell who's the fairest of them all
Lime light silhouette, transparent walls
Dancing shadows cascade paper dolls
Wailing ghost guitars

Run with the pack, illegitimate child
The unborn wench at war
Tears in his eyes, she became a bride
Wedlock to a whore
Shatter the dream, the tangerine dream
Bow to Kings, not the Queens
Go back where you reign, to your domain
The Valley of the Dolls
WINTERKILL

Tuomas

I don't quite get your point Helm. Surely no one ever said there is no music better than Lordi, and the song you posted here is completely different. Btw, it's not better than Lordi imo. And I'd hardly count this as Heavy Metal, rather hard rock of some kind, and face it, the ESC has nothing to do with what's that, Fates Warning, nor does Lordi, this is my opinion.

Nacho

That's Ã, what I wanted to express  (Edit: In reference to HELM's post)... IMO it was not a victory of metal, because it does not sound like metal like me.

I even thought that Lordi was a "normal" group faking metal. Petteri is informing me via msn that they are real metal musicians...

So, I must change my post. They are not clows... They are real metal musicians probably laughing about all this shabby contest. I've been told the song it's in a real metal CD, but I am sure that they have thought "Ok... We like metal, but let's pick a song of the disc that is just 75% metal, because this people of the contest is really posh" They would have probably scared the voters with real metal...

My real complain is about the VOTERS. IMO they voted thinking "Voting for a metal song will make me look like original and cool..." But IMO it was not real metal and Lordi went there just for having some laughs, in a very metal attitude...

So, I repeat, my shame is not produced by the winners. My real shame is made by those who are supposed to be the "cultural lighthouse of the world", who, wanting to, haven't been able to defeat a group who didn't want to win.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Ghormak

Shame? The Eurovision Song Contest is a shame to good taste every year.

This was the people saying "The ESC sucks" in unison.
Achtung Franz! The comic

Ali

It was a very good humoured and camp way of saying that, but I agree.

In essense there were only two songs in the contest, Lordi's and everybody elses. Every other entry was identical. As far as music goes I don't think Lordi are much better than the rest of the blondepop.

The evident embarrasment of the hosts was evidence that Lordi, though they may not be greatly transgressive, were just different enough.

Helm

Quote from: Tuomas on Sun 21/05/2006 12:28:49
I don't quite get your point Helm.

Two points: for those that listened to Lordi thinking they were listening to indicative heavy music, a counter-example.

Second point, lyrical, to the whole eurovision thing: Go back where you reign, to your domain. The valley of the dolls.
WINTERKILL

Tuomas

voh

I'm glad Lordi won. Maybe next year the eurovision won't be so crappy as it's been for the past hundred years (give or take a few hundred).
Still here.

Pet Terry

Quote from: Helm on Sun 21/05/2006 13:22:12
for those that listened to Lordi thinking they were listening to indicative heavy music, a counter-example.

I know the whole genre-thing sucks balls, but if I had to classify Lordi, I wouldn't call them a heavy metal band. After all, even the band itself doesn't classify themselves as a heavy metal band.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Paper Carnival

This was fun and unexpected... I dislike Eurovision, but I was interested this time only because I heard Lordi was taking part. I didn't expect them to win, but I was on their side as they were the first country to ever put a hard rock song in Eurovision. I know some people (that also dislike the contest) who voted for the first time in their life. I even thought I should vote too, until I remembered I still have some dignity left :P

The song was okay and kinda enjoyable, but taking the heaviness away and the harsh vocals it's not that far from an ordinary Eurovision song. Sure, it's still quite different, but it's the usual verse-chorus thing. I do hope that this will encourage the future participants to be more innovative and experiment with music instead of just using unoriginal techniques to win. Maybe in the future a true metal song will compete.

By the way, did anyone watch the opening ceremony? I thought that the song in the ceremony was much better than any of the songs I listened to in the competition. And I wonder, why didn't Greece use this song as an entry? The answer is simple, I guess, but it irritates me because Eurovision could have the power to glorify music. Instead, it's usually raping true art, with the participants trying to create a catchy winnable song instead of creating something more "intellectual".

Helm

Quote from: Petteri on Sun 21/05/2006 13:36:56
Quote from: Helm on Sun 21/05/2006 13:22:12
for those that listened to Lordi thinking they were listening to indicative heavy music, a counter-example.

I know the whole genre-thing sucks balls, but if I had to classify Lordi, I wouldn't call them a heavy metal band. After all, even the band itself doesn't classify themselves as a heavy metal band.

The Lordi guy in interviews goes on about how he'd like to see more hard rock and heavy metal music in eurovision, like they're comparable things. Hard Rock and Heavy Metal are very different things. It doesn't take just a distortion pedal to be metal. So yeah, I wouldn't like to see Heavy Metal in eurovision. Why would that be good?
WINTERKILL

Ishmael

Shove your genres up your arses. It's all heavy music. Some more, some less.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Helm

There's too much genre for my ass. Also: no.
WINTERKILL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk