AGS Incompatible with touch screen on Samsung Q1?

Started by Dave Gilbert, Mon 12/03/2007 19:32:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

I received this note on my message board today.  Is there any way to make this work or should I tell him not to bother?

Hi, I just wanted to inform you that playing this game with a touch screen (touch screens were made for point and click adventures) does not work! When I click the screen the mouse will park itself in the top left corner. Using a mouse works fine though, so its still possible to play it fine.

This is obviously a bug with the underlying engine so its not really your problem in that sense, but you might bring the word to the authors of that engine and have they test this on UMPCs which are really great for playing these kinds of games since they dont require such a powerful computer.

SSH

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Mon 12/03/2007 19:32:26
This is obviously a bug with the underlying engine

Or with the touch-screen driver...

Misj'

A similar thing occurs when I try to play a game using the pen of my (wacom) tablet: the mouse-pointer is stuck to the border (not just top-left, but always at the border, and most commonly it sticks to the corners...it does start at the top-left though). Since the tablet-mouse has no problem I never bothered to mention it.

While this doesn't help solve it, both problems might be connected. So I just thought I'd mention.

Misj'

Pumaman

It could be that the driver for the touch-screen / tablet doens't support DirectInput (which is what AGS uses to read the mouse). Can you use it in non-AGS games?

Mr Flibble

This is obviously a bug with the underlying engine

I like how he managed to say that so it rhymed with "All fifteen of my penises laugh at your ineffectual efforts", as if he could write a better one.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Gilbert

Misj', try running the game in windowed mode.
AFAIK, most tablet drivers only work good when it's in a native window desktop resolution (especially when in "absolute" mode), if you play a game in say, 320x200, 640x480, etc., the pen might not work.

I bet touchscreen drivers are similar.

Da_Elf

yeah, ive found the same thing with my tablet and i agree with the analisys. even though the game is full screen the tablets stil trying to use the native resolution of the desktop rather than the 320x240 of the game so the smallest movement will cause the pointer to shoot across the screen and into the corners

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk